Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516

Thread: White Lion And Other '80s Hair Metal

Every time that commercial with Ratt comes on I mute the sound. What an embarrassment. Ratt.....

Unabashed RATT lover here.
    Robbin Crosby and Warren DeMartini were a great tandem who wrote some really good and interesting riffs, and DeMartini is a killer player.
    I still have all of my old cassettes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Every time that commercial with Ratt comes on I mute the sound. What an embarrassment. Ratt.....
    Not Ratt fan at all (saw them right up close opening for Blue Oyster Cult once and they did very little for me), but I still think that commercial is hilarious.

I kinda like the Ratt commercial. I'm sure my dad doesn't get it, though.

I still think the best Geico ad was the one they did with Peter Frampton, oh I guess that must have been, what? 15 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I kinda like the Ratt commercial. I'm sure my dad doesn't get it, though.

I still think the best Geico ad was the one they did with Peter Frampton, oh I guess that must have been, what? 15 years ago?
    Yeah that Frampton commercial is still pretty great.

I still enjoy this ad with Survivor with the late Jimi Jamison on vocals:

The thing that I find embarrassing about that Ratt commercial is the look on the lead singer's (StevePearcy?) face...... Hey, for whatever they got paid a little embarrassment is worth it....

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    It's probably being played through a Rockman, with the bridge and middle (or middle and neck) pickups on something like a Strat, or a Jackson Soloist.

I remember there was a Y&T song called Don't Stop Runnin' that I remember from the MTV days. So much later, when Napster appeared, that was one of the things I went looking for, since I don't think their albums had been reissued on CD yet. Thing was, the first line of the refrain is "Keep on runnin'", so that's what I thought was the title of the song. So I'm looking for Keep On Runnin' on Napster, and this Journey song (from Escape) kept popping up, as well as every other Y&T song imaginable. So eventually this other file sharing thing turned up, I think it was called Aimster, and that had a feature where you could search for a song, then search for songs from the same album. I knew the second single off that particular album, In Rock We Trust, was Lipstick And Leather, so I looked for that, then activated the "search for songs from same album" function, and BOOM!, that's when I found out I had been looking for the wrong song title.

That reminds me, I need to get more Y&T. I got In Rock We Trust, from a 90's era Japanese pressing, and like 18 months after I got, domestic reissues finally surfaced! I know everyone says Earthshaker and Black Tiger are supposed to be really good, but I've never heard them.
    Two things. IMHO, Black Tiger is Y&T's finest album. Consistent and the best tunes are some of the best from their catalog.

As for Napster, I found a boatload of boots and what not just by looking for live tunes. While I didn't fine everything I was looking for, I found some really great stuff. Rush doing Twilight Zone live(total boot where you can hear the audience members), Billy Corgan doing Limelight acoustic, etc. I worked Napster to it's best and got some really cool stuff.

All the bull about Napster stealing money, hell, I didn't steal any money from anyone. None of the music I pulled from them cost anyone anything, but it - Napster - had to be stolen by the industry anyway and turned into iTunes.

Doesn't matter now, it's all up on Youtube. What was once rare, is now totally and completely not. I did have some trouble finding the Dream Theater trilogy A Mind Besides Itself, IIRC. I kept looking up Erotomania, the first song in the trilogy. Had the wrong titles but did get a live version of Erotomania.

Gotta have the right keywords. It's definitely hit or miss.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

HODOR!

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    Solid band. I get a definite Hagar vibe from a lot of the vox on Y&T's stuff. Which is fine.
    Sammy has been a much more consistent song writer over the years but I see the comp. Dave and Sammy do have similarities. How the hell Sammy and Dave are still doing this at their ages is amazing.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

HODOR!

The thing that I find embarrassing about that Ratt commercial is the look on the lead singer's (StevePearcy?) face...... Hey, for whatever they got paid a little embarrassment is worth it....
    Ratt's been an embarrassment for 30 years, bruh!

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Sammy has been a much more consistent song writer over the years but I see the comp. Dave and Sammy do have similarities. How the hell Sammy and Dave are still doing this at their ages is amazing.
    Dave "vocalizes," but that ain't singing.