Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Prince & The Revolution

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Yes, although I like 1999 slightly less. Controversy is my favorite, Dirty Mind probably 2nd. If you don't have Controversy I would say get it for sure if you like the others.
    I am kinda opposite of you. I love 1999 and Purple Rain, but I like Dirty Mind less. Too dancy.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Try 1999 or Purple Rain. Those run the gamut from soul, funk, punk, disco, rock, and new wave. Purple Rain is very rock based.
    1999 is the most tolerable set of samples I've heard. even heard a couple of samples where I wouldn't mind hearing the rest of the song. i.e, Delirious, DMSR, & All The Critics... those samples contain very little of his falsetto singing, which is a plus.
    Purple Rain: Let's Go Crazy is okay. TBO is annoying cause of that falsetto, yet I like it because of what he does with the falsetto. I like the weird vocal shit on Darling Nikki. the title song is really pretty. I've decided that this cat's music is more palatable for me w/o video. I hated the 'When Doves Cry" video, but w/o that I like the music better.
    Is there a lot of weird stuff going on with keyboards or guitar or both? seems like I heard some really interesting/strange things going on within an otherwise very commercial setting.

^^ just went through the Dirty Mind samples. It sounds to me like 8 singles with falsetto singing. For people that like that, it's probably a great album. I have no desire to hear more of it.

I'm 1999% sure my wife got me the 1999 special edition CD/DVD set for Christmas.
    Been a huge fan since I was 11 or 12, still have my LPs and tapes.

I once paid $20 to get into an after concert party. It was at some shitkicker bar, and Prince and his then-wife showed up about 2 hours late. They made a 5-second appearance on the second-floor balcony, waved, smiled and left.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    I'm 1999% sure my wife got me the 1999 special edition CD/DVD set for Christmas.
    Been a huge fan since I was 11 or 12, still have my LPs and tapes.

I once paid $20 to get into an after concert party. It was at some shitkicker bar, and Prince and his then-wife showed up about 2 hours late. They made a 5-second appearance on the second-floor balcony, waved, smiled and left.
    I remember someone telling me a similar story. Back in the 80's, Prince would go out and find clubs where he could keep on playing. I remember seeing a video fo him playing in some club somewhere, and after show thing, and Ron Wood was jamming with him. They were doing Miss You.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I remember someone telling me a similar story. Back in the 80's, Prince would go out and find clubs where he could keep on playing. I remember seeing a video fo him playing in some club somewhere, and after show thing, and Ron Wood was jamming with him. They were doing Miss You.
    That's how I got convinced to go by my friend, expecting to see him play. But at least she bought the beers.