Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crest of a Knave - heavy metal?

Odd isn't it. That in the live hard rock/metal thread a lot of poeple are listing Jethro Tull. That said, none of the people doing that there are here saying "no they aren't"

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    Not true. Not even close to true.
    I disagree, but you know that already.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    It's possible that this album is rose-colored to me because it came out soon after I discovered the band, but I've always preferred it to their other '80s albums. It was the start of the final phase of Tull's career when you felt that they were actively engaged with the contemporary music scene. The Crest/Rock Island/Catfish Rising years saw the band back releasing singles, appearing on MTV, getting non-review write-ups in Rolling Stone and other mainstream rock mags, playing good-sized venues, etc. They maintained a high level of productivity in those years, too, what with three albums and the box set all happening between 1987 and 1991. Whatever one thinks of the Divinities/RtB/Dot Com material, IMO it came at a time when Jethro Tull had receded from the scene somewhat.

The Crest material would definitely sound better with a real drummer, no doubt.
    I kind of view CoaK through rose-colored glasses myself. In the 80's I had pretty much written Tull off as dead then one day the radio plays this brand new song not even released yet called Farm on the Freeway. My initial reaction was "holy shit, this sounds like real Tull!" Upon buying the cd (yes, my first non-vinyl Tull purchase) and hearing the rest I was very pleased, only slight disappointment was drum machine mentioned earlier.
    And what a hoot he/they get a Grammy for it.

For the record - Rock Island and Catfish are very worthy efforts and have their moments
    Roots To Branches and Divinities are excellent
    Dot.Com has moments - some good some really screwy (definitely not something I pull out when I want to hear some tull), worst cover art.
    The Xmas record is great during the holiday season.
    TAAB2 mostly good
    Homo is growing on me, will probably have to attend one of the shows.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    Dot.Com has moments - some good some really screwy (definitely not something I pull out when I want to hear some tull), worst cover art.
    Don't like looking at minotaur dong?

I've often wondered how this album would have sounded with a real drummer.
    Most of the album does have real drums. Only "Steel Monkey" and "Raising Steam" (plus "Dogs in the Midwinter", which wasn't on the original LP) do not.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Rubbish! By now, you should know that hardrock/metal is my main genre. I started that other thread to list hardrock/metal bands members here had seen, it has nothing to do with Jethro Tull, I never expected anyone to list them there. I never listed them. You have a very vivid imagination.

I've never claimed JT was a metal band, hard rock yes. But their are some metla aspects on CoaK.
    Yeah, you're right. My error. Post deleted.

Pickles says that nothing is more "metal" than putting a lobster in a boiling pot of water. I think "Crest" is at least THAT Metal..

I kind of view CoaK through rose-colored glasses myself. In the 80's I had pretty much written Tull off as dead then one day the radio plays this brand new song not even released yet called Farm on the Freeway. My initial reaction was "holy shit, this sounds like real Tull!" .
    Exactly my experience as well.

"Farm On The Freeway" is an excellent song and by far the best one on Crest, IMO. "Budapest" is very good and a concert staple, but "Farm" wins.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***