Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Your favorites from SPAIN

A couple of current bands who deserve to by summarily ignored beyond my post:

Pyramidal:

Melange:

https://melangemadrid.bandcamp.com/album/melange-2

Can only find their Bandcamp page...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    Psicolorama THE GARDEN AND THE POOL: Maryanne´s Diaries on the Farm (2015)

Bandcamp link

Review from progarchives.com:
    This is one of my top 5 albums of 2016.

"Sea Orm" is a composition that will be included in our new album "Carta Marina", a collaboration between Ángel Ontalva and Vespero ! Whole album will be on CD and digital very soon!

Not highly reviewed but I do like Onza.

Robert Santamaria ( Amarok ) and Carlos Plaza ( Kotebel ) are both Venezuelans. Santamaria played with Parthenon, and Plaza is the son of a very famous composer in Venezuela, in fact a musical family.

Both are the composers and leaders of their bands, so technically they are not Spanish bands, but residents in Spain, many musicians and bands relocated to other countries but Collins or Wakeman are not Swiss just because they lived and recorded there, Oldfield and Lennon?

Needs proper definition

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    Robert Santamaria ( Amarok ) and Carlos Plaza ( Kotebel ) are both Venezuelans. Santamaria played with Parthenon, and Plaza is the son of a very famous composer in Venezuela, in fact a musical family.

Both are the composers and leaders of their bands, so technically they are not Spanish bands, but residents in Spain, many musicians and bands relocated to other countries but Collins or Wakeman are not Swiss just because they lived and recorded there, Oldfield and Lennon?

Needs proper definition
    Does it really matter? Is Gong an Australian band 'cause Allen came from there?

Quote Originally Posted by mogilevs View Post
    Kant Freud Kafka is the prog rock project of Javi Herrera, a drummer, singer and composer from Barcelona. "No tengas miedo", KFK's first record, is a story about light and darkness, fear and anger, expressed through music - symphonic progressive rock. The music is deeply influenced by 45 years of prog rock and also by classical music, with hints of jazz and even funk. Sounds like a mix of everything, but resembles nothing in particular.

http://kantfreudkafka.bandcamp.com/a...o-tengas-miedo

I just discovered their "Onirico" album from 2017 and it is exquisite!!!

Great live set:

These guys are really good and they're about to release their first album.
    King Crimson Falkoner Teatret, Copenhagen 23.09.2016
    Roger Waters Palau Sant Jordi, Barcelona 13 & 14.02.2018
    Nick Mason's SOS The Half Moon, London 23.05.2018
    Yes feat ARW The Barbican York, 13.06.2018
    Nick Mason's SOS The Roundhouse 24.09.2018
    Steve Hackett London Palladium 11.10.2018
    Steve Howe The Albany, London 31.10.2018
    Trevor Horn Royal Festival Hall 01.112018
    Fish Islington Assembly, London 07.12.2018
    Steve Hackett Bath Forum 20.11.2019

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Have this El Patio LP for Ages, and still like it.
    I have to admit to never really grasping the alleged greatness of Triana, but just today I spun my hissy and crackly ol' copy of El Patio and it's a fabulous record. From what I understand, it rates highly also with "academic" authorities on Spanish rock music in general. Given that they didn't really see a commercial breakthrough until the second album, El Patio is a profoundly powerful statement both musically and culturally. A rather animated take on something aiming at "flamenco-rock" may have already been executed by international acts like Carmen or Esperanto, but El Patio sets things straight. It's the merger of blues sensitivities and Andalucian lore and tone that renders its progressive flair such a unique feat. Overall, their music was almost always very slow and, for the lack of a better word, "lamentive". Sombra Y Luz was perhaps a technically more polished work, and there are some marvellous parts to be found - but that "organic" force of El Patio is unbeatable.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I have to admit to never really grasping the alleged greatness of Triana, but just today I spun my hissy and crackly ol' copy of El Patio and it's a fabulous record. From what I understand, it rates highly also with "academic" authorities on Spanish rock music in general. Given that they didn't really see a commercial breakthrough until the second album, El Patio is a profoundly powerful statement both musically and culturally. A rather animated take on something aiming at "flamenco-rock" may have already been executed by international acts like Carmen or Esperanto, but El Patio sets things straight. It's the merger of blues sensitivities and Andalucian lore and tone that renders its progressive flair such a unique feat. Overall, their music was almost always very slow and, for the lack of a better word, "lamentive". Sombra Y Luz was perhaps a technically more polished work, and there are some marvellous parts to be found - but that "organic" force of El Patio is unbeatable.
    I like El Patio. I think I had the first three Triana albums, and this is the only one I kept. I agree, it has a really organic feel. My favorite track is En El Lago, which incorporates those flamenco elements, but doesn't beat you over the head with it. I think you catch it right with the "blues sensitivities." Anyway, this one works for me better than their subsequent albums.

Speaking of Spanish Prog, I just bought the Lisker CD after seeing a post about it on FB. This one had slipped under my radar. I'm usually not that into Basque Prog, which is a bit too folky for my tastes. This one rocks nicely, and has some tasty flute work.

Bill

^ I'm listening to that sole Goma album right now, and keep thinking that it'd might attain status as a hidden gem were it not for its geographical origins - especially given the somewhat misplaced English lyrics in an otherwise interesting, dreamy closing track. They come pretty close to some of the more frantic or manic Italian acts like Campo di Marte or in places even Osanna. A formula very obviously derived from early KC or VdGG (particularly considering the skronky sax-playing), with some state-of-affairs straight-up hard-rock to boot.

The Lisker record is quite good, but not among my personal faves from Basque lands. I'd go for Errobi's Ametsaren Bidea ("Oraino" has to be one of the most beautiful tunes of Iberian quarters), Sakre's only title, Itoiz' second album (Ezekiel, I believe?), the Magdalena release or indeed the highly underrated Itziar record which of course is basically more of a singer/songwriter effort but devoid of the "ethnic" curb which marks out the music of bands like Enbor, Izukaitz or Haizea.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The eons are closing
    I love the GOMA album and it has always been in my Top 5 from Spain, along with el Patio, Coses Nostres, the 2nd fusioon lp (alligator), and Eduardo Bort s/t.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

My favorite song on the Goma album is the one about the salt shortage, which just might be the most Spanish subject matter for a song ever! The jaunty sax melody near the start of the album kind of put me off it, and “Shootin’ Up” seriously wears out its welcome. But “Un nuevo abril sin sal” is an ace tune!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Banned
    Iceberg made on "Sentiments", the third LP of the quartet and my personal favourite jazz-rock album by some Spanish band, quite typical jazz-rock of the late 70s, that is comparable for example to the records by Return to Forever, but a bit more 'symphonic' and therefore a little less edgy. But there is no soft jazz-rock here either. After the worn-melancholic intro, there is a lively, cheerful jazz-rock with a slight Iberian-percussive rhythm, dominated by Sunyer's quite impressive guitar playing, accompanied by an electric piano (which is also often soloed) and bass and underlined by various sound surfaces from the synth. The pieces are actually all quite similar, only the dog-barking beginning of "Magic" and the contemplative acoustic piece "Joguines" stand out.

A delightful, rather uncomplicated, but not shallow album. Recommended without reservation to all jazz-rock fans!

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I love the GOMA album and it has always been in my Top 5 from Spain, along with el Patio, Coses Nostres, the 2nd fusioon lp (alligator), and Eduardo Bort s/t.
    Did someone say GOMA?
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Monet View Post
    Iceberg made on "Sentiments", the third LP of the quartet and my personal favourite jazz-rock album by some Spanish band, quite typical jazz-rock of the late 70s, that is comparable for example to the records by Return to Forever, but a bit more 'symphonic' and therefore a little less edgy. But there is no soft jazz-rock here either. After the worn-melancholic intro, there is a lively, cheerful jazz-rock with a slight Iberian-percussive rhythm, dominated by Sunyer's quite impressive guitar playing, accompanied by an electric piano (which is also often soloed) and bass and underlined by various sound surfaces from the synth. The pieces are actually all quite similar, only the dog-barking beginning of "Magic" and the contemplative acoustic piece "Joguines" stand out.

A delightful, rather uncomplicated, but not shallow album. Recommended without reservation to all jazz-rock fans!

I concur that "Sentiments" is a standout release by Max & Crew, however, I like Coses Nostres and Ar-En-Ciel just about as much. To me, these albums reach just the right energy level for my tastes in Jazz/Rock and there is enough keyboard interaction to keep their sound on the symphonic side of things. José "Kitflus" Mas is pretty darn talented on the synths and electric piano and he doesn't get in the way of Sunyer's guitar crunching.

I don't think that Jazz/Rock/Fusion bands need to get complicated to do justice to the genre. Good, solid playing and infusing just enough "melody" to bring you back for more is the right mix and these Spaniards do it quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    I concur that "Sentiments" is a standout release by Max & Crew, however, I like Coses Nostres and Ar-En-Ciel just about as much. To me, these albums reach just the right energy level for my tastes in Jazz/Rock and there is enough keyboard interaction to keep their sound on the symphonic side of things. José "Kitflus" Mas is pretty darn talented on the synths and electric piano and he doesn't get in the way of Sunyer's guitar crunching.
    All of the Iceberg albums are worth your time*. Tutankhamon is another album chronicling a band getting bit by the Yes bug, but you can hear the fusion band they would metamorphose into kicking and screaming to get out (particularly in some of Max’s burning guitar solos). Coses nostres is the “classic” for me—just the right balance of prog, fusion and trad Spanish influences. I guess Sentiments is a more “typical” fusion album but it still cooks. Arc-en-ciel sees them going into softer Latin fusion territory. You can hear traces of their downfall in the disappointing follow-up “supergroup” Pegasus; but there’s still enough residual energy and excitement left over to make Arc-en-ciel very much worth a listen or three.

*I profess to not having actually heard their live album, but I will still recommend it on the basis of others’ recommendations. I am not big on live albums, but Iceberg’s live disc is all original material! They are also the sort of band I wish I could have seen live!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

np:
    (winners!)

+

Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Banned
    The origins of this Catalan band go back to 1979. At that time, five musicians, from the cities of Tarragona and Reus in Catalonia, formed a band that they initially called Companyia Oliva Negra. Later they called themselves Metamorfosis.
    The main composer of the band was keyboardist Jaume Montcusi.
    Metamorfosis had released only one album: "Papallones i Elefants" (1982). The album is completely instrumental, the music is a mixture of sympho-rock and jazz-rock. In particular, the eleven-minute title-track "Papallones i elefants" shows strong sympho-rock influences. The excellent keyboardist Jaume Montcusi also brings neo-classical elements with him, plus all sorts of other influences, including - you can hardly believe it, even swing. The thirteen-minute "Morir per Viure", the only track contributed by the guitarist Luis Garcia, is also strongly in the Symphoprog direction. There is even an allusion to Yes there. The other tracks are dominated by jazz-rock: "Un joc als cinc anys", for example, is much more jazzy, but at the same time also has a typically Mediterranean feeling. And the final track "El reflex del teu mirall" also combines more jazz-rock with symphonic passages and even small eclectic experiments.

"Papallones i elefants" is never too dissonant or "weird". Metamorfosis' musical language was never harsh or loud, the band always played a pleasant, warm jazz-rock that always remained light-footed. The music is never unassuming or unimportant. Metamorfosis succeeds in an admirable way in keeping the balance between demand and audibility as well as that between sympho-rock and jazz-rock. So if you are not afraid of a cocktail of jazz-rock and sympho-rock, you can make a real discovery here. "Papallones i elefants" is a great album that is far too little known.
    What about the band? Metamorfosis broke up around 1985 without having released another album. Their rehearsal room was converted into a studio, Montcusi became a sound engineer, and helped regional bands get their music out there in the 80s and 90s. He can even be heard on some of these albums, for example on "El bufo de la cort" by the neo-prog band Dr. No. He was still in the business in the late 2000s, now owning the studio. But one has never heard of Metamorfosis again.
    The US reissue-label Mandala had re-released "Papallones i elefants" as a CD, in 2010.

About a month ago I have relistened to those Basque progressive folk albums (this excludes Sakre and Enbor, who are not "folk")), and some still strike the same chord with me, like Itoiz , Errobi and Haizea, others less (Itziar Izukaitz)

From:Catalonia, difficult to find better tjhan Iceberg and to a lesser extent Fusioon (not much a fan of Minorisa), but I love Maquina's debut albim, the fairly Tull-esque Pan Y Regaliz

Goma and Crack's sole albums are some of the more "purely-Spanish" better "symphonic" releases - though I tremember both oogling towards Italian-style symphonic prog.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Monet View Post
    Metamorfosis had released only one album... The US reissue-label Mandala had re-released "Papallones i elefants" as a CD, in 2010.
    Fantastic album! I'm glad to have the 2010 CD.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    All of the Iceberg albums are worth your time*. Tutankhamon is another album chronicling a band getting bit by the Yes bug, but you can hear the fusion band they would metamorphose into kicking and screaming to get out (particularly in some of Max’s burning guitar solos). Coses nostres is the “classic” for me—just the right balance of prog, fusion and trad Spanish influences. I guess Sentiments is a more “typical” fusion album but it still cooks. Arc-en-ciel sees them going into softer Latin fusion territory. You can hear traces of their downfall in the disappointing follow-up “supergroup” Pegasus; but there’s still enough residual energy and excitement left over to make Arc-en-ciel very much worth a listen or three.

*I profess to not having actually heard their live album, but I will still recommend it on the basis of others’ recommendations. I am not big on live albums, but Iceberg’s live disc is all original material! They are also the sort of band I wish I could have seen live!
    The same here Progbear and for the same reason; love all of their albums too !
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ I'm listening to that sole Goma album right now, and keep thinking that it'd might attain status as a hidden gem were it not for its geographical origins - especially given the somewhat misplaced English lyrics in an otherwise interesting, dreamy closing track. They come pretty close to some of the more frantic or manic Italian acts like Campo di Marte or in places even Osanna. A formula very obviously derived from early KC or VdGG (particularly considering the skronky sax-playing), with some state-of-affairs straight-up hard-rock to boot.
    The Goma album is simply amazing - I discovered it quite recently by accident . I love the way they incorporate the Spanish elements in an indirect, not-too-overt, way. Another personal favourite is Gualberto's A la Vida, Al Dolor - some exquisite, rarely found, songwriting in there. Vericuetos may be more progressively inclined but to me it sounds a bit confused and disoriented as an album.

The more pastoral branch of Spanish Prog (Gotic, Crack, Guadalquivir etc) seems totally indifferent to me

Goma is love. Goma is life.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

The eons are closing
    Goma - 14 de Abril is my fave spanish 'prog' disc I've ever heard or owned.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit