Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steve Howe - "Beginnings"

Neither of my guitar gods Howe and Hackett have good voices---strangely they have passable backup voices but as leads--mostly hell no. There are lot's of Hackett albums that could have been great if he had a good lead voice--same with Beginnings.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I don't think Hackett is as violently off key as Howe though, is he?

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    That's the worst Yes cover band I've ever seen...maybe they should have let Regis take a shot at vocals
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I don't think Hackett is as violently off key as Howe though, is he?
    I've never had a huge problem with Hackett's vocals. I wouldn't say he's a strong singer, but his singing never bothered me. I certainly never winced while listening to Hackett sing, so yeah, I think he's far better than Howe.

Hackett was never bad as Howe, and he's actually improved quite a bit over time. I think he holds his own with Squire on the Squackett album.

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    That's the worst Yes cover band I've ever seen...maybe they should have let Regis take a shot at vocals
    WTF? When is that from and who is that playing bass?

I'll bet people who saw that and heard those vocals were just walking around in a stupor the entire day.

I have to say, I've never really got into this one. The tunes aren't really that strong IMHO and the vocals are a massive stumbling block- one I play every few years, generally. The solo Howe endeavours I've heard have never really grabbed me, to be honest.

Steve Hackett's voice is fine- hardly an all-time great, but certainly adequate and he can carry a tune- apart from a time in the early-mid 80s when he was really pushing his range to the limit. I find the music on his solo albums far more engaging as well. For instance I dug out 'Spectral Mornings' again recently and the best moments on that are as powerful as anything Genesis ever did IMHO. I can't say that about what I've heard of Howe's solo work in relation to Yes.
    Last edited by JJ88; 10-18-2014 at 10:18 AM.

WTF? When is that from and who is that playing bass?

I'll bet people who saw that and heard those vocals were just walking around in a stupor the entire day.
    I recall seeing that live around 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Steve Hackett's voice is fine- hardly an all-time great, but certainly adequate and he can carry a tune-
    I would call it serviceable. Granted, I'm not familiar with much of his solo work, but his blues work is in dire need of a better singer.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Re: that live clip from Regis: I'm pretty sure that what Howe and the bass player were singing were the harmony parts to "Roundabout" without Anderson's lead part. As such, I thought it was pretty interesting (even though they failed to nail all the parts as perfectly as I'm sure they would have liked). If you are listening to Howe on that clip and are expecting to hear Anderson's melody you are going to be disappointed. He's not even trying to sing it.

And I disagree that Bob Dylan isn't a good singer. He's not a great singer in the classical sense, but he's an outstanding singer in a folk sense. He communicates the emotional essence of a narrative as well as anyone.

NP: The Nice The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    And I disagree that Bob Dylan isn't a good singer. He's not a great singer in the classical sense, but he's an outstanding singer in a folk sense. He communicates the emotional essence of a narrative as well as anyone.
    Totally agree. What Bob lacks in voice, he more than makes up in his phrasing.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

????????????????????????????????????????...??????? ???????????????????...
    Bruford is smiling...is he relishing the the Howe embarrassment

Steve has to know that his vocals are really bad. He has to know this. Doesn't he?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Regular viewers of that show were already doing that.

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Terrific compositions, wonderfully varied playing by Steve Howe and musical guests, some classic pieces, an awesome Dean cover... and of course, the enormous drawback of Steve's APPALLING lead vocals.

Kinda funny actually, but this very thought entered my mind the second I saw the thread title (before opening the thread).

Actually, kudos should be given for the cover art as well -- definitely one of the better half of Roger Dean's exceptional Yes cover designs.

As flawed as Howie's vocals are, they are not even in the same league of BAD vocals as guitarist Uli Jon Roth's (Scorpions, Electric Sun).

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Steve has to know that his vocals are really bad. He has to know this. Doesn't he?
    He must.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    My theory is that Steve knows he is not a naturally gifted singer. But neither was Bob Dylan.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    My theory is that Steve knows he is not a naturally gifted singer. But neither was Bob Dylan.
    Now, that's actually an interesting comment, because Steve is such a huge fan of Dylan, that might have been his reasoning. Not that he writes like Bob, but still.