Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: echolyn News

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Don't forget The Cardinal and I, an excellent closer with a more upbeat feel and crunch, than most of what precedes it. Great lyrics and riffs, too.
    UPBEAT?

Well, upbeat in terms of tempo, at least, lol. The lyrics are another matter.

neil

Echolyn showed flashes of lyrical brilliance for a while--"Entry" from As the World and "High as Pride" from Cowboy Poems Free spring to mind, but since Mei their lyrics have been at an unbelievably high level.

I'd suggest to anyone who likes the self-titled album a lot to get the outtakes on Bandcamp. "Accumulated Blur" is especially good. And Brett Kull's cover of "She's Leaving Home" is lush and gorgeous. some of the best use of Mellotron I've heard in a while. Plus it's free, or at least it used to be

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    I'd suggest to anyone who likes the self-titled album a lot to get the outtakes on Bandcamp. "Accumulated Blur" is especially good. And Brett Kull's cover of "She's Leaving Home" is lush and gorgeous. some of the best use of Mellotron I've heard in a while. Plus it's free, or at least it used to be
    Oh yea all of the songs here are amazing. Moments with No Sound and Accumulated Blur rank among my favorite echolyn tunes of all time
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Thanks Gerhard. I'm not a fan of buying downloads, but since this is all I can get, I bought them. At least they aren't MP3.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kanukisbrave View Post
    I put these tracks plus their sweet version of Radiohead's "Lucky" together as a burned CD in my collection under the title "Crows Fly By" tracks in alphabetical order except for "15 days" to finish up... works real well... :-)
    I'd like to make the same CD but I don't see the song "Lucky" in the bandcamp site. - Is this available elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    I'd like to make the same CD but I don't see the song "Lucky" in the bandcamp site. - Is this available elsewhere?
    The "Multimedia" page on their website has lots of downloads available, but I don't see "Lucky" there either.
    http://www.echolyn.com/multimedia.asp

I did find a direct link, though, that worked (hope it's ok to post this here):
    http://www.echolyn.com/multimedia/lucky_calprog.wav

Thanks Gerhard!!! - I got it and also bought all the other songs I needed from Bandcamp site (including the Brett Kull solo album "Triggers and Lovers" and songs) - Got a lot of new music to enjoy - I'll make that same playlist Kanukisbrave recommended and add the live Lovesick Morning to it and maybe the solo Kull songs "She's leaving Home" and "Please Forgive Me" if they seem to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    The latest word on new material comes right from the man tickling the ivories:

"Our new record is due to drop in September, 2014; followed by several US & Canada tour dates in October/November. Can’t wait for you all to hear these latest musical creations – the next incarnation of our Island named echolyn+ we are “so ready” and eager to get back out on the road and bring the last several albums to you *LIVE* without a net. Bring it! – Chris Buzby"
    September came and went…
    I hope the band manage to complete the new album by the end of the year. They posted regular updates on their FB account last summer, but now it's back to the usual silence.
    Can't wait to know what the situation is.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

I'm still miffed at these guys for what I deemed to be a total lack of professionalism vis-à-vis their fall concerts... :|
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

obviously this means it's a double
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I'm still miffed at these guys for what I deemed to be a total lack of professionalism vis-à-vis their fall concerts... :|
    I take it as a sign that the new album is nearing completion and is their priority.
    But obviously they bit off more than they could chew with these gigs.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Just curious, why? They aren't the first band to cancel shows. And if i remember correctly they all have day jobs. Im hoping you don't run the proghouse

Yes, they all have day jobs, and yes "reality" gets in the way. These are all things they supposedly had weighed and considered before approaching promoters to set up shows in their towns. The promoters then went about their business of finding venues, selling, printing, and mailing out tickets, etc.... Only after all of this did the band realize that they may have bitten off more than they could chew between rehearsing for these shows, finishing their latest album, and juggling their busy everyday lives. Their response was to cancel the shows. Nobody was sick, nobody befell any last minute tragedies, it was just a question of possibly stretching themselves too thin. Now the promoters have to refund for tickets, cancel the venues, etc... I was surprised that the band would do such a thing. Don't approach people to play in their city unless you are 100% committed. If there is bad luck after that, then it's bad luck; but I feel the band got ahead of themselves in this instance then let the promoters get penalized for it. Maybe this is a common occurrence and promoters just roll with the punches but the few times I had tickets in my hands for a show only to be told it was cancelled, the excuse from the artist was a lot more solid then, to paraphrase, " we're sorry, we now realise that we need time to practice and we just don't have it..."

This is all IMO of course and I invite anyone who represents the band to chime in and explain it to me in a way that I can understand it more clearly... I had 4 front row tix and I was really looking forward to this...

Nobody was sick, nobody befell any last minute tragedies...
    Which is a very good thing, but also...do we know for certain that we got the whole story? It's possible there are some sort of personal issues the band didn't want to share and the explanation given was an easy way out.

I was disappointed, but then again at the time I was glad to have the money back in my pocket.
    <sig out of order>

I agree with Yves on this one, although I suppose there is the possibility that there was more to it. Strangely, I was emailed by the Montreal venue/promoters, of the cancellation, and asked to mail my tickets back to them. Sorry, not going to do that, but I do feel bad for them.

neil

Yves, thanks for the response, and for not taking my question to your post as an affront. I hear you, i understand your point of view as well. Cheers.

I was disappointed when I heard Echolyn canceled their Montreal show, too. However, since me and the Mrs. already had money set aside and time off for a trip - we're going to Vegas instead. Lemons into lemonade!

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    You are all welcome to your opinions, but sometimes when you plan way ahead, you don't know what can happen in the mean time. For example, when they booked these shows, Chris didn't know that he would be taking a new job in a different state. Tom also just took a new position at his company and I'm sure Brett is up to his eyeballs with the recording studio, school, and teaching, especially at the beginning of the year. Add all the new album work on top of this as well. The good thing here is that they realized the true state of their affairs still well before the shows occurred.
    Chad

Thanks for the update Nearfest. Life happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    You are all welcome to your opinions, but sometimes when you plan way ahead, you don't know what can happen in the mean time. For example, when they booked these shows, Chris didn't know that he would be taking a new job in a different state. Tom also just took a new position at his company and I'm sure Brett is up to his eyeballs with the recording studio, school, and teaching, especially at the beginning of the year. Add all the new album work on top of this as well. The good thing here is that they realized the true state of their affairs still well before the shows occurred.
    See? Already you've shed a little more light on the situation for me. You know that my spewing is first and foremost sour grapes... We were given an "official" reason for the cancellation but of course "the truth" is always a little different. When the album comes out, I will buy it. IF they can manage a make-up show on some future date, I will buy tickets the moment they go on sale... I'm a sucker!

Regardless of this tour cancellation hoopla, any inside news news soon?

Good to get to hear some more info on the story, once again illustrating the danger of jumping to conclusions without all the facts.

Looking forward to the new album, big time.

neil

Is there any Echolyn news?