Page 1 of 316 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Movies - where we can talk about movies

We had a PM on the old PE but being no one has started a group, I'll just launch a thread and see how it goes. Try to review without major spoilers please.

Rented "Get Low" with Robert Duvall and Bill Murray plus "Drive" with Ryan Gosling. Both were extraordinary but quite different.

Get Low was a tale set in the 1930s of a cantankerous hermit in the hills of Tennessee who wants to hold his funeral before he dies. It's easy to forget how good of an actor Duvall is but this will remind you. Murray, as usual, is priceless as the down-on-his-luck funeral director.

Drive is a very different animal. Sort of an art house action flick that starts slow and meditative...and then the carnage begins. Gosling plays a mechanic/stunt driver who moonlights as a getaway driver for robberies. He meets a woman in his apartment building with a young son. Then the woman's husband comes home from prison. Gosling ends up driving the ex-con on a job where everything goes very wrong and then things really get nasty. Gosling is very good as a sociopath who was just reaching for humanity when the wheels fall off. Not for everyone, but I loved it.

Last night at the small town theater, we finally saw Ben Affleck's Argo. Damn, who knew this guy would turn out to be such a great director. I don't know how accurate this movie was but the tension was almost unbearable. And they get that '79/'80 atmosphere right.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I am bumping this one to see if it gets any traction. Or maybe someone wants to start a group? Hello?

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Saw Hugo Saturday, the Martin Scorcese film from 2011. Beautiful film, with a positive message.

Most recently saw the excellent new Bond film, Skyfall.

Many are calling this the best Bond film ever, and Craig the best Bond. I wouldn't go that far, but this definitely is top 5 for me, and easily Craig's best. I like how they keep the story current, but still find a way to harken back to the Bond tradition.

Great action, a storyline that isn't too complicated, and some surprises. Highly recommended for any Bond fan.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

recently watched: 'American Meth'. Difficult to watch this doc, but definitely worth seeing. A lot of the reviews on the Netflix board are very critical of it, but most of the complaints are irrelevant. The message is very clear: don't even try the stuff.

'Frankenstein's Daughter' would be improved if it was shorter. As is, it moves toooo slooooow. the cheese factor is good (so don't bother if you don't like cheese)

'Seeking a Friend for the End of the World' was alright but IMO Keira Knightly dragged it down. cannot recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Rented "Get Low" with Robert Duvall and Bill Murray...
    I'm funny in that I sometimes develop an overwhelming, probably unreasonable, dislike for certain actors, and can't stand to watch any movie they're in. Bill Murray is prominent on that list.
    Regards,

Duncan

Took the kids to see Rise of the Guardians this weekend. Fell asleep during the middle of it, just like i did with Wreck-it Ralph two weeks ago.

We really need a sequel to The Incredibles.

Screened the Zombieland Blu-ray for the youngest daughter (12) that same evening. She loved it. Aside from the opening sequence (i.e., stripper zombies ), it was no more objectionable or inappropriate than the garbage they show on the Nick channels).

Can't wait for The Hobbit...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

I highly recommend the indie foreign flick "Monsieur Lazhar." It is funny, heart-rending and quite moving, with great child acting.

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Most recently saw the excellent new Bond film, Skyfall.

Many are calling this the best Bond film ever, and Craig the best Bond. I wouldn't go that far, but this definitely is top 5 for me, and easily Craig's best. I like how they keep the story current, but still find a way to harken back to the Bond tradition.

Great action, a storyline that isn't too complicated, and some surprises. Highly recommended for any Bond fan.

That flick had great momentum, great acting and stunts.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    'Seeking a Friend for the End of the World' was alright but IMO Keira Knightly dragged it down. cannot recommend it.
    I thought it was pretty bad. It was funny for about the first fifteen minutes, then it just got stupid.

I'm stoked for seeing "The Life of Pi." Read the book about 5 years ago, loved it and thought it would make a great movie. I hope I was right!

I recently saw ‘Jagten’ of the Danish director Vinterberg. It’s about a teacher in a small village in Danemark who is falsely accused of sexual harassment of one of his pupils. The whole community turns against him and gradually makes his life into hell while he has no chance at all to defend himself.
    What is quite disturbing is that you can really understand the reaction of the villagers and it immediately makes you wonder: “how would I react in such a situation?”

One of the best movies I’ve seen in a while (although I haven’t seen the new Haneke Movie ‘Amour’ yet). Go see it when you have the chance.

I saw the Rolling Stones concert, bio film, Crossfire Hurricane. I somewhat became less a Stones fan in their later years, so I didn't know if I'd like this film, but did enjoy it well enough.

Inventing David Geffen--bio on the music producer and started the Asylum record label back in the day, discovering many musicians I enjoy: Jackson Browne, C,S, & N, Joni Mitchell, etc. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

The Dust Bowl--Ken Burns doc on the subject matter, I enjoyed it as I used to live in West Texas and we had a lot of that type weather so I could relate.

I saw Skyfall over the weekend. A serviceable Bond film, though Craig is thoroghly unremarkable as James Bond - he plays the character with all the wit and charisma of Vin Diesel. Very good action sequences. It's more like a Jason Bourne movie, but with British accents.

I am pissed. Raiders of the Lost Ark is only available on Blu-ray in the big Indiana Jones box that has all four of the movies. Like I want to actually buy the fourth film? They should be paying me to have that in my house!

I recently watched a post-apocalyptic flick called 'The Day' the other day. Interesting enough, but nothing you haven't seen before in much better movies like 'The Road.'
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Saw the Hobbit this past Saturday, and while that was really good, I was pleased to see all the previews of great movies coming out next year, most of them sci-fi. Oblivion, After Earth, new Star Trek, etc. I'm also looking forward to the next Hobbit, which I assume will come out NEXT holiay season, along with the second Hunger Games movie. I'm waiting for the DVD of the first Hunger Games to be released.

As a Johnny Depp devotee, I'm also looking forward to the Lone Ranger next summer. It's going to be a hoot.

Tomorrow, I'm going to watch The Knowing in preparation for Doomsday on Friday, LOL.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

just saw the remake of Total Recall and even though it was entertaining, it wasn't anywhere near like or as good as the original. too dark and depressing and they changed the story too much. i thought the Mars having no atmosphere sub plot and how it played out in the original was brilliant. no such thing in the new one.
    also, the 3 breasted girl did appear in the new one but totally out of context. as far as i could tell, there was no mention of any 'commune' of mutants in the new one as there was in the original so where did she come from?! not complaining mind you - just didn't make sense.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by Hunnibee View Post
    I'm waiting for the DVD of the first Hunger Games to be released.
    just saw it Walmart today.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    If you liked the movie, you should read the books, Mel, at least if you can manage the time. The movie was fine, but the book was so much better (as is usually the case). I'll admit, I was disappointed with how the third book ended, but all in all, it was a riveting ride!

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    Yay! I didn't realize it would be out yet. I'll work that into my budget somehow. Thanks for letting me know!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    If you liked the movie, you should read the books, Mel
    I have, and I love them! Many of my friends hate the third book, but I thought the ending was very poignant.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

My film profile:

I generally don't like American films
    I generally don't like crime/street action films
    I generally don't like power/money/wealth/politics films e.g. John Grisham
    I generally don't like cop/crime films
    I don't like slasher horror/torture films

I do like dramas
    I do like historical dramas
    I do like First and Second World War films
    I do like comedies
    I do like non-English language films
    I do like psychological films
    I do like ghost films
    I do like monster horror films - zombies, vampires, werewolves
    I do like sci-fi (just saw Prometheus last week...WOW!!!! And what about that final image?)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Saw Hugo Saturday, the Martin Scorcese film from 2011. Beautiful film, with a positive message.
    I've been wanting to see that one. So, I got that saved in my Netflix account.

Watched the DVD of The Rum Diaries. What a glorious mess that was. Johnny Depp was fine and the movie had its moments but the story was all over the place. Time for Johnny to stop with the quirky shit and do something worthy of his talent.

The boys from MST3K (now RiffTrax) have assembled a top ten worst list of the past couple decades or so. I'm glad someone hated X-Men Last Stand as much as I did.

http://www.rifftrax.com/worst-movies-of-all-time

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Got Prometheus to watch now. Looper was probably my favorite film of the year. I was really looking forward to The Hobbit, and it was a good film, but it could have been so much better, I'm going to go back and watch it at 24 frame rate in 2D and see if it is less distracting.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.