Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You might be a Proghole if...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Is there anything more Prog™ than arguing about a list?
    Exactly!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    For anyone else who can't stand the color scheme...

[/I]You Might Be a Proghole if...

1. the word "mellotron" causes a strange tingling in your private parts.
    2. you refer to Yes' lead singer as "the holy prophet Jon Anderson."
    3. you blame Phil Collins for "driving Peter Gabriel out of Genesis."
    4. you love the albums "Invisible Touch," "90125," and "Love Beach", but are ashamed to admit it.
    5. you actually liked SH's "Not Everybody's Gold."
    6. you know what a firth is.
    7. you believe the talent of a drummer is commensurate with the size of his drum set.
    8. you consider lyrics to be wasted time between solos.
    9. you go to a King Crimson concert and take notes.
    10. you look down on any keyboardist who is "not willing" to haul around a real Hammond B3.
    11. you prefer Bruford to White, noting with knowing condescension that "groove and feel are way overrated."
    12. you actually like Steve Howe's electric guitar tone.
    13. your menage a trois fantasy involves you, Emerson, and Wakeman.
    14. you find nothing comical about Robert Fripp, and are willing to kick anybody's ass that does.
    15. the prefix labels of "Cantebury", "melodic", "symphonic", and "neo" before the word "prog" all simply mean "sucky".
    16. you've named all the fish in your aquarium the names of past and present Yes members.
    17. the words to "Close to the Edge" have profound meaning in your life.
    18. you've done time or community service for striking someone who said, "I love Yes. Owner of a Lonely Heart rocked!"
    19. you regularly set aside "me time" to listen to Tales from Topographic Oceans in its entirety.
    20. you still love Kansas, despite their miscues with Carry on Wayward Son, Point of Know Return and Dust in the Wind.
    21. you've ever constructed and worn a Jethro Tull "Aqualung" stage jumpsuit.
    22. you've spent years in therapy in an effort to forget that John Wetton has ever been involved with anything outside of King Crimson.
    23. you're one-word code for "time to leave" at a Yes concert is "Roundabout."*
    24. all of your favorite bands are named after characters or places from "The Lord of the Rings."
    25. you believe a bassist isn't even worth a derisive chortle if he doesn't own a Rickenbacker.
    26. you actually know what a Warr guitar is.
    27. you find yourself labeling most current Prog as "derivative", yet you secretly pine for Yes to record "Close to the Edge II".
    28. you believe that radio play signals a band's demise.
    29. you think "Beatlemania" is for pathetic hangers-on, yet you've seen "The Musical Box" six times.
    30. you spend more time and energy on turning your woman onto prog than on turning your woman on.
    31. you've danced to "Tom Sawyer."
    32. you're unwilling to admit that Zeppelin was a prog band.
    33. upon finding that one of your friends has discovered a Styx album in your collection, you find yourself quickly spouting "youthful indiscretion."
    34. upon leaving an ELP concert, you find yourself repeatedly mumbling "sellouts!" because the band only played the "1st Impression" of "Karn Evil 9."
    35. you think Yes' "Union" album should have been title "Onion" instead--it stank!*
    36. you're male, college educated, you're a groupie, yet you're asexual.
    37. you've ever called a radio station and cursed them out for playing the short version of "Thick as a Brick."
    38. you know who Annie Haslam is.
    39. you know the lyrics to any Gentle Giant song.
    40. you insist on your own Persian rug when you play onstage.
    41. you know what Taurus Pedals are.
    42. you hear a car crash and say "That's derivative of {insert band's name here.}"
    43. your music collection is broken down by the note's the artists have played.
    44. you will spend oodles of money and time to see a band but only get their CD's by swapping.
    45. you actually know that "House of the King" was done by Focus and not Jethro Tull.
    46. you know the difference between Jurgen Fritz and Keith Emerson.
    47. you principally condemn house/dance music (because any sound generated by a computer can never be music) but secretly compare the soundstyles on [insert any hit] to [insert any keyboard player]'s playing on [insert any record here].
    48. in addition, you secretly wish they had contracted Steven Rothery to "spice it up some more".
    49. you consider ANY music style to be derivative of prog, since it is "the only true form of music".
    50. you have ever betted on the runtime of "A Change of Seasons" and/or "Grendel".
    51. you actually agree with Fish and/or Marillion on their reasons NOT to play Grendel anymore
    52. you have tried every prog album in you and your friends' collection as a soundtrack to reading "The Return of the King" and finally decided that, since they all suffice, Tolkien must have been a proghole as well.
    53. your favorite band's "world tour" consists of 3 shows on the east coast--a bookstore "unplugged" show, a pre-festival, Friday night warm-up gig with six other acts, and a free show at your uncle's tuxedo rental shop.
    54. you believe that prog's heyday will single-handedly be resurrected by the Chapman stick.
    55. you love King Crimson...but wish that Lake, Wetton, and Belew would just keep their freakin' mouths shout.
    56. you believe that playing keyboards without a cape is a crass and disrespectful mockery of the craft and prog genre in general.
    57. you can sit in a room with other 'progholes' and intelligently carry on a conversation when it comes to the bands Renaissance and Illusion...but, all the while wishing they would all leave so you could listen to The Strawbs' Hero and Heroine' on vinyl.
    58. you can resite any of Peter Gabriels stories he told in between songs with Genesis in both English & French!
    59. you pay for the wife and kids to move out for the weekend so you can organise your own little progfest at home with all those 65-75 live albums you have. Even throwing on "Framptons Comes Alive" as the supposed non prog entity!
    60. you believe that Rael was a real person and have searched for his biography on the internet!
    61. you cry when your children call your CD collection boring and ask if you have any Nirvana!
    62. you get teary-eyed when your children sing along with any of your old Prog records.
    63. the first thing you look for in a good school for your kids is if they offer classes in Kobaian.
    64. you're no longer speaking to your wife since she refused to name your children Dweezil and Moon Unit.
    65. your boss has started questioning the upper-case 'K's before every 'c' in your memos...
    66. your daughters're named Galadriel & Nico.
    67. you've ever taken your son shopping for cymbals 'cause his kit looks bare with less than a dozen.
    68. you measure the value of a song by the number of time signature changes in it.
    69. you buy a record with roger dean's art on it regardless of the music in it.
    70. you prefer the vinyl mastering of Fragile to the remastered CD
    71. you lack the basic rules of civility you should've learned from your parents and find it necessary to publicly post a preview of your attendance at ProgDay2004, declaring "I'm probably going to need to be good and drunk to enjoy Salem Hill." (Our personal fave of the ProgHole list, BTW)
    72. You bought two copies of the Special edition of Bridge Across forever. One to keep sealed and other that you burned copies of for your car, your office and your wife's car "just in case." Then they both were put carefully away.
    73. Even though you do not listen to "Christian Rock", you own all of Neal Morse's solo albums.
    74. You own the entire Magna Carta catalogue.
    75. You have had to get laser tattoo removal since John Petrucci went with Ernie Ball.
    76. Your Christmas list is formed by going through the Inside Out Web-site.
    77. You can discuss how James Labrie has become more consistent live.
    78. Although you do not play drums you own Liquid Drum Theater and Progressive Drum Concepts.
    79. You claim April 20th as a Holiday.
    80. The Letter X at the end of a band's name tells you that they must be progressive.
    81. A Bassist is not worth his weight if he does not play more than four strings.
    82. You contemplated suicide when the DTIFC closed up shop.
    83. You've created a list of top 10 concept albums.
    84. You consider anyone who adds to this list "anti-prog." And tell them to go listen to Mushroomhead.
    85. You pushed for Rush’s "Time Stand Still" to be your senior class song in high school.
    86. You had "June" or "Surrounded" played at your wedding.
    87. You have tried to sync Dead Poets Society to A Change of Seasons a la Pink Floyd and The Wizard of Oz.
    88. You claim that the Blue Man Group are prog because they use a Chapman-Stick.
    89. You rave about how ground-breaking the Italian band _______________ was in the 1970s...yet had never heard of them until last Tuesday.
    90. You fume that Best Buy and Circuit City stores carry loads of Metalblade rubbish, but not a single Magna Carta release.
    91. You can name every musician that ever played for Yes and which album they played on, but have trouble remembering your kids’ birthdays.
    92. In naming every musician that played for Yes you wish you could ignore Trevor Rabin and pretend that Chris Squire was the lead singer on “Drama”, but for the sake of completeness, cannot.

the word "mellotron" causes a strange tingling in your private parts.
    I thought that was the taurus pedals.

90. You fume that Best Buy and Circuit City stores carry loads of Metalblade rubbish, but not a single Magna Carta release.
    CC crapped out over 5 years ago. Even longer ago than that, the BB stores near me weren't carrying more than a few dozen CDs of anything.

the word "mellotron" causes a strange tingling in your private parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I thought that was the taurus pedals.
    I thought the word "Taurus" is now causing a strange tingling in Jimmy Page's private parts, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by DGuitarist View Post
    I thought the word "Taurus" is now causing a strange tingling in Jimmy Page's private parts, unfortunately.
    Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    CC crapped out over 5 years ago. Even longer ago than that, the BB stores near me weren't carrying more than a few dozen CDs of anything.
    The "Proghole" list is at least 10 years old (probably more). I remember when Carl first posted it. Funny stuff, but slighly outdated now.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm often tempted to do this

your boss has started questioning the upper-case 'K's before every 'c' in your memos...
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Too funny. I had a pretty good friend who had goldfish named Fripp and Eno and possibly some other musicians. He was a huge Yesfan but also liked other prog.

There was something kind of similar in one of the Nearfest programs only it was a sort of list of the different stages of being a prog fan. Does anyone remember that? I forget specifically which Nearfest(maybe the fifth one)but it was pretty funny as well.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    You might be a Proghole if...
    You joined PE, then again when they changed it.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Too funny. I had a pretty good friend who had goldfish named Fripp and Eno and possibly some other musicians.
    while I still lived with my parents, a stray cat "adopted" us. He made a lot of strange noises, and something about the eyes reminded my brother & I of Eno, so that's what we called him. He also liked to be the centre of attention - until, one day months later, my folks were having a few friends over and Eno decided he was being ignored, so he crapped on top of the TV and was promptly put outside. It obviously disturbed his sensibilities so he went solo - i.e. he never came back, instead finding another family to adopt.

I've never met Brian Eno, but I'm willing to hazard a guess that he would be slightly more gracious than that. Suffice to say, any family pets after that were given "normal" pet names (just in case)

Suspended
    At one place where I lived, the lady next door to us and her late teenage son had a little cat named Vicious. The name was so contrary to his actual nature, which was timid and meek and mild as could be, that I assumed it was intentionally ironic. That was until I learned that he was one of a litter of two kittens they had acquired; his brother was called Sid.

Not me.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    At one place where I lived, the lady next door to us and her late teenage son had a little cat named Vicious. The name was so contrary to his actual nature, which was timid and meek and mild as could be, that I assumed it was intentionally ironic. That was until I learned that he was one of a litter of two kittens they had acquired; his brother was called Sid.
    I once knew a guy who really liked jazz, so he named his hamsters Miles and Mingus.

Guilty of 5. AND I do not know what SH means........guess I'm pretty safe.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

So deep the hole.
    Of course, not being of the daily persuasion in this opinion laden public prog bathhouse, my diatribe of recent lucubration is perhaps as welcome as a rats teat. One often is forced to weigh the desire to flash judgment within against the effort required as well as the value this knowledge will be to the greater good of all mankind or whatever inhabits the current spa. At best, its a slippery slope.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    AND I do not know what SH means........guess I'm pretty safe.
    Salem Hill
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by yeselpkrimson View Post
    progholio ... close enough?
    say what???

Quote Originally Posted by martiprog View Post
    Eno decided he was being ignored, so he crapped on top of the TV
    Pretty redundant, if you ask me.

the best one is:
    22. you've spent years in therapy in an effort to forget that John Wetton has ever been involved with anything outside of King Crimson.
    Last edited by zutul; 05-22-2014 at 02:18 PM.

I do really like this album a lot, especially the song "January". For some odd reason the members of Salem Hill were not happy with this album, and nearly broke up after recording it. Perhaps its was tensions in the band, and just a bad memory. For me though, the songs are essential SH.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post

I do really like this album a lot, especially the song "January". For some odd reason the members of Salem Hill were not happy with this album, and nearly broke up after recording it. Perhaps its was tensions in the band, and just a bad memory. For me though, the songs are essential SH.
    I actually like that album a lot too. They brought in an additional keyboard player (Greg Ayres I believe his name was) which I thought kind of rounded out their sound quite a bit. I don’t know all the details, but yea that experiment did not work out and after a few live dates they ended up splitting with him (they played a Saturday night ProgDay show at the “Cat’s Cradle” if I remember correctly). There were “tensions” going on within the band at the time, but I heard most of it 2nd hand, so don’t know details.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Salem Hill
    Oh, I thought it was Spock's Hammer.

I like that