Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking Plague

"In Extremis" and "In This Life" are their best IMO, but I have spent many ours in good company with "Moonsongs" and "Decline and Fall" too.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Would be nice. Start a petition or something!
    Well, like everyone else, I've already submitted my personal lineup choices for ProgDay + alternates in case they can't be reached (and / or can't be convinced to reform). Still no response from the committee.
    Last edited by zombywoof; 05-21-2014 at 01:44 PM.

TP would be a fantastic choice for PD 2014. Are all the members here in the States, or would there be some Visa stuff to contend with?

I'll mention it to the folks that I know from the committee...
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I dunno; although I belong to that very crowd myself, I sometimes get the impression that this album remains their allegedly "best" quite simply due to the circumstances of its release back in '98 - seeing how there was little other stuff like this around (apart from their "sister act" the 5UUs). In a sense, it was to then-current day RIO stylings (well aware that Mike J. doesn't necessarily agree on that tag being bestowed on his music) what someone like Änglagård had been with their debut.
    That's an interesting insight. I'll have to think about that.

My favorite is In Extremis also, by a long shot.

TP are definitely not for the "major-key-sympho" crowd, but there's such an overwhelming sense of purpose and unfettered creativity in almost everything they do that it's hard for any prog fan to not at least respect them. The closest comparison for me is Miriador, though I think TP is actually more "accessible".

At times they sound to me like a band that took the first part of side 3 of Tales From Topographic Oceans and built an entire musical identity around it, though I admit that's way too narrow a description. But that's how I'd sell them to folks who might be afraid of the more avant side of prog.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    TP would be a fantastic choice for PD 2014. Are all the members here in the States, or would there be some Visa stuff to contend with?

I'll mention it to the folks that I know from the committee...
    Not only are they all in the states, but they are all in the same STATE - Colorado - something not true for the last 20 years, until the last year or so.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Well, like everyone else, I've already submitted my personal lineup choices for ProgDay + alternates in case they can't be reached.
    I haven't submitted anything to anyone at PD, so it isn't everyone else....

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    At times they sound to me like a band that took the first part of side 3 of Tales From Topographic Oceans and built an entire musical identity around it, though I admit that's way too narrow a description. But that's how I'd sell them to folks who might be afraid of the more avant side of prog.
    There maybe more to that than you think.

Funny, I never thought of it that way, but I've always thought the beginning of Side 3 of Tales was pretty darn awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I haven't submitted anything to anyone at PD, so it isn't everyone else....

Well, I'm not really the "you should hire all the bands I want to see" type, but I don't think it hurts to throw out a well-thought out suggestion once in awhile from the ticket buyers. In the end, I'm sure ProgDay will have yet another incredible lineup regardless. But, it doesn't hurt once in awhile to voice an opinion as to who I'd like to see, so long as it's not too left field or impossible.
    Last edited by zombywoof; 05-21-2014 at 03:00 PM.

so long as it's not too left field or impossible.
    I knew there was a reason that I didn't participate!

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I know, I know, I'm late to the party, so be it. I've been spinning "In Extremis" for a few days and it finally clicked just how brilliant this band is. Love the flat, emotionless vocals, the weird rhythms, and that chordal pallette - WOW! Some absolutely brilliant, from the gut stuff here with loads of attitude.

Anyway, seeing as that record is about 15 years old, I figured it was time to update my Thinking Plague library, so I bought their newest one, "Decline and Fall". I'm about halfway through and I'm stunned at how great it is! "Sleeper Cell Anthem" is such a great little multipart piece, such brilliant writing and even the lyrics are pretty good! Any fans of Thinking Plague's unique environmentally-concious take on avant prog?
    Do you have u Totem's "Strange Attractors." Great RIO album.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 05-21-2014 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Do you have u Totem's "Strange Attractors." Great RIO album.
    Nope.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    If you like this stuff you should get U Totem, 5UU's, Motor Totemist Guild and anything with U or Totem in it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I've got two 5uu's (or is that 10uuuu's?). Anyway, I love it, great stuff!

Yep, TP is fantastic. VERY impressive live too. At their Olympia show last year I several times laughed out loud at just how good they were. Amazing on many levels. Don't think I can pick a favorite album, but Decline and Fall would be a clear contender, as would In Extremis. Great night music to just crank up super loud and soak in every note.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    If you like this stuff you should get U Totem, 5UU's, Motor Totemist Guild and anything with U or Totem in it.
    Yup, pretty much.

U Totem, obviously, was the merger of two initially very different projects - MTG (contemporary electroacoustic chamber ensemble) and the 5UU's (tricky avant-prog *ROCK*-with-a-big-R sorta band), while the latter ended up holding TP's Bob Drake and then lending Dave Kerman back to TP. Together they amounted to a strange family of sorts, but I really think U Totem's debut, 5UU's Hunger's Teeth and TP's In Extremis combined make for some of the most interesting stew in newer "progressive" kinda rock from the US. Little next to nothing beats this in compositional depth, intensity and complexity until the emerging "Brutal Prog" thing several years later, and that was a completely other approach altogether, I think.

The Science Group (again with Drake) and Israeli band Ahvak (again with Kerman) explored some vaguely similar waters, but they were all quite distinct units.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    TP and Underground Railroad make the kind of music that I'd hoped prog would've evolved into 40+ years after it's inception.
    You'd might want to read Jarle Storløkken's master's thesis on these groups as harbingers of "actual" progressive rock music in and for the modern day and age. Jarle is the guitarist for Panzerpappa and a string of other bands here in Norway (including the country's most renowned "prog covers" act, Dead Dino Storage, who've done some of the most amazing shows of such music you could ever imagine), and he makes a damn fine argument.

It's an immense paper, but well worth the read - and it's openly available here https://www.duo.uio.no/handle/10852/27165
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The Science Group are great, too. I bought "Spoors" off of last year's ReR summer sale. I love the way they take a simple little pop idea and complete turn it backward and on its head by the end of the piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Yup, pretty much.

U Totem, obviously, was the merger of two initially very different projects - MTG (contemporary electroacoustic chamber ensemble) and the 5UU's (tricky avant-prog *ROCK*-with-a-big-R sorta band), while the latter ended up holding TP's Bob Drake and then lending Dave Kerman back to TP. Together they amounted to a strange family of sorts, but I really think U Totem's debut, 5UU's Hunger's Teeth and TP's In Extremis combined make for some of the most interesting stew in newer "progressive" kinda rock from the US. Little next to nothing beats this in compositional depth, intensity and complexity until the emerging "Brutal Prog" thing several years later, and that was a completely other approach altogether, I think.

The Science Group (again with Drake) and Israeli band Ahvak (again with Kerman) explored some vaguely similar waters, but they were all quite distinct units.
    Listen to this man, he speaks wisely.

Love all of those.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

As for another semi-related group, if you haven't checked out Combat Astronomy you should. Elaine sings on some of their material too.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    As for another semi-related group, if you haven't checked out Combat Astronomy you should. Elaine sings on some of their material too.
    Indeed, Elaine is wonderful on

Combat Astronomy - Dreams No Longer Hesitate
    Yugen - Iridule (also featuring Mike Johnson, Dave Kerman, & Dave Willey)
    Dave Willey - Immeasurable Currents (featuring lots of TP alums)
    Hughscore - Delta Flora
    3 Mice - Send Me A Postcard (also features Dave Willey of TP)
    Empty Days - s/t (Yugen spin off)
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Indeed, Elaine is wonderful on

Combat Astronomy - Dreams No Longer Hesitate
    Yugen - Iridule (also featuring Mike Johnson, Dave Kerman, & Dave Willey)
    Dave Willey - Immeasurable Currents (featuring lots of TP alums)
    Hughscore - Delta Flora
    3 Mice - Send Me A Postcard (also features Dave Willey of TP)
    Empty Days - s/t (Yugen spin off)

chalkpie
    A few years back I posted a blurb about this small 11 second section in "Dead Silence" that was one of my favorite little moments in music ever, but don't think anybody responded. Bloody bastards.

Anyway, its at the 2:13 mark until 2:24. Go ahead and I find me better 11 seconds

PS - where's Mike? Calling all Johnsons.....

Also, gun to my head, this might still be my "Stairway to Heaven" of Thinking Plague. I just read that Thinking Plague ripped off Bob Seger and The Silver Bullet Band with "Organism (version II), and that Bob's attorneys mean *business* this time.

Go Bob, Go.

479px-Bob_Seger_2013.jpg