Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking Plague

Thinking Plague

I know, I know, I'm late to the party, so be it. I've been spinning "In Extremis" for a few days and it finally clicked just how brilliant this band is. Love the flat, emotionless vocals, the weird rhythms, and that chordal pallette - WOW! Some absolutely brilliant, from the gut stuff here with loads of attitude.

Anyway, seeing as that record is about 15 years old, I figured it was time to update my Thinking Plague library, so I bought their newest one, "Decline and Fall". I'm about halfway through and I'm stunned at how great it is! "Sleeper Cell Anthem" is such a great little multipart piece, such brilliant writing and even the lyrics are pretty good! Any fans of Thinking Plague's unique environmentally-concious take on avant prog?

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Any fans of Thinking Plague's unique environmentally-concious take on avant prog?
    Yeah, particularly In Extremis. Caught them about a dozen years ago, with Kerman and Matt Mitchell, the latter a current member of Tim Berne's group.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

All of their work is astonishing, but In Extremis sorts among the most vital "modern" progressive rock releases overall - IMHO.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I like In This Life best, Decline and Fall and In Extremis are excellent as well.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The last three are brilliant, huge fan.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

What? Thinking Plague fans on THIS forum? no Way!

Count me in as fan too ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    I like In This Life best, Decline and Fall and In Extremis are excellent as well.
    I agree with this, In This Life is still my overall favorite. I'd also really like their second album Moonsongs.

I'd say that Thinking Plague is probably my overall favorite "Avant/Dissonant/RIO" Progressive Rock. For me, their work is "out there," but not so far out that it isn't still largely accessible to people who enjoy adventurous rock. I think their stuff rocks more than a lot of the "RIO" bands, and I also think it is more focused an organized.

Really looking forward to their new one.

Bill

I love all their albums. In This Life and In Extremis are always fighting for my top slot. So good. I'm with Scrotum - some of the most impressive and vital "modern" progressive out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    All of their work is astonishing, but In Extremis sorts among the most vital "modern" progressive rock releases overall - IMHO.
    Not really a fan of their first era... I guess I'd have to revisit it, but I was really disppointed with those first three album some 15 years ago, when I investigated... This was just before In Extremis arrivbed and changed my mind about the TP initials...

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    The last three are brilliant,
    I'd tend to agree with this... But In Extremis is much better INHO (also a tad more accessible)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I know, I know, I'm late to the party
    Ian! you missed seeing them on the east coast by something like one year! sigh.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Ian! you missed seeing them on the east coast by something like one year! sigh.
    I'm sure they'll tour extensively to support an upcoming album? (pppllleeeaaasssseee)

They were terrific at RIO a couple of years ago supporting Magma. Unfortunately Elaine's voice was seriously crocked at the Cuneifest gig though she performed heroically and I loved the gig.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

They were great in Seattle last year.

In Extremis is my favorite as well, but I do have and like them all.

I look forward to hearing (and purchasing) the new album whenever it's ready.

If you like In Extremis and Decline And Fall I'd go ahead and get A History of Madness next and then work your way backwards. In This Life is a really great transitional record from their earlier 'quirky' '80s material which I think you'll enjoy too. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm sure they'll tour extensively to support an upcoming album? (pppllleeeaaasssseee)
    Why not ProgDay?

Why not ProgDay?
    I saw them at Progday in '99. Absolutely killer show. Indoors due to the torrential downpour.

Damn, time is flying by.

Why not ProgDay?
    Would be nice. Start a petition or something!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I saw them at Progday in '99. Absolutely killer show. Indoors due to the torrential downpour.

Damn, time is flying by.
    Cats Cradle. That was an EPIC set by TP. The dark club and the downpour outside made for a perfect atmosphere. A few other bands definitely gained from that setting...NeBeLNeST springs to mind immediately.

I like the various little soundscapes and texture pieces on History of Madness...guess that would make that one a favorite of sorts.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Cats Cradle. That was an EPIC set by TP. The dark club and the downpour outside made for a perfect atmosphere. A few other bands definitely gained from that setting...NeBeLNeST springs to mind immediately.

I like the various little soundscapes and texture pieces on History of Madness...guess that would make that one a favorite of sorts.
    Cats Cradle. I had forgotten the name.

I remember people clamoring for one more song and Mike Johnson saying that they had played everything that they had rehearsed. Then someone shouts "Improv"! Good times.

NeBeLNeST was great too.

I only have "A History of Madness" and "Decline and Fall," but I dig them both, particularly the latter!

TP and Underground Railroad make the kind of music that I'd hoped prog would've evolved into 40+ years after it's inception.

I was really flattend by "In Extremis", what an awesome Album! I like the next two, but was not so impressed as with
    "In Extremis".

They're alright.
    flute juice

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I was really flattend by "In Extremis", what an awesome Album! I like the next two, but was not so impressed as with
    "In Extremis".
    Clearly, In Extremis is their apex

(at least until their next one)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

"In Extremis" and "In This Life" were both epoch-making albums for me personally. The later albums keep up the quality and then some. Mike Johnson is unrivaled as a composerly rock guitarist. Can't wait for the next album. Mike posted on Facebook May 8 "Next TP cd is 90% written, and charts are going out...."

History of Madness was the first one I got, when it came out, after reading about these guys. I ended up getting the rest of the discography, slowly, because this stuff is so dense it takes time.

I love this band. History of Madness is still my fave, I think, just because of the WTF effect it had on me when I first heard it. Genius stuff, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Clearly, In Extremis is their apex
    I dunno; although I belong to that very crowd myself, I sometimes get the impression that this album remains their allegedly "best" quite simply due to the circumstances of its release back in '98 - seeing how there was little other stuff like this around (apart from their "sister act" the 5UUs). In a sense, it was to then-current day RIO stylings (well aware that Mike J. doesn't necessarily agree on that tag being bestowed on his music) what someone like Änglagård had been with their debut. I still remember being absolutely floored by In Extremis on release, but I suppose one of the aspects about it that I really still appreciate is the overall feeling of a creative force which hasn't set out to make any specific "kind of prog" but rather composed from the very same eclectic and transgressive ideal that once gave life to progressive rock *at large*. Both AHoM and Decline and Fall might be more technically challenging and intriguing records, but In Extremis holds a special place in head'n'heart.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM