Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Thinking Plague

chalkpie
    I don't think I am THE man! Pretty sure I'm not. har...

Well, you're not THE woman, so you're the man by default.

No sh_t! Have you heard V-W's Sinfonia Antartica (#7)? Really beautiful and eerie. If you know the story of Scott's expedition to the south pole, then it's particularly poignant. As for Britten, let re-iterate for all, "Sinfonia da Requiem"!!! And the Four Sea Interludes (esp. the Passacaglia!), Violin Concerto, Piano Concerto, Cello Symphony and Variations of a Theme of Frank Bridge!! All wonderful. I even like some Edward Elgar! Nimrod from Enigma Variations is beautiful, as is his Elegy. Ever heard Malcolm Arnold?

Oh yes sir. I own three complete RVW symphony cycles - Haitink, Boult II (EMI), and Handley. I also have a scattering of other recordings, like the RVW "Antartica" on Naxos which is STUNNING. The organ on that recording is unbelievable. I couldn't imagine hearing that recording on full range speakers, but even on my B&W' 602's is sounds incredible. One of the finest engineered classical symphonic recording I own, period. Must hear. Britten is much newer to me, and I am giddy with the thought of exploring his soundworld. Yes, love the Four Sea Interludes and the Frank Bridge piece is also wonderful. Arnold? I have heard snippets but don't any proper discs. Any recs?

I'd call him 'lyrical', and certainly 'romantic', or "neo"? His Fantasia on the theme of Tallis is his iconic opus, imho. The 2nd and 3rd movements from the London Symphony are pretty great.

Yes...I was actually referring to Britten, who seems to take the tonality further than RVW.

You know I haven't listened to Inscape or Connotations for years! Doing so now via YT. Inscape....great! I had a record of these as a teenager, and didn't 'get' them then, of course. As for his symphonies, love the Organ Symphony and the Short Symphony, my fave symph of his. As a teenager I was thoroughly infatuated with the 3rd, but grew tired of it over time. I still like certain passages a lot. My current favorite is Music for a Great City (based on a film score). Hmmm, Inscape is kicking my butt!

Short Symph is also my favorite of the three! I love the groove in 7 in the final movement - its so prog! Inscape is certainly fantastic and I have shocked folks playing this for them but not telling who it is until after its done.

Lotta good it'll do THERE! I heard Billy the Kid as a small child and fell in love with it. I still pop it in occasionally. There is something so quintessential about it.... A great thing for "white-key" progheads to delve into, to see how a master dealt subtly but brilliantly with bi-tonality, odd and poly-meters, etc., while keeping it very accessible.

Right on. I pretty much love all Copland, from all periods. Billy the Kid is super. Music for the Theater is also an old favorite of mine, as is El Salon Mexico. Lenny destroyed that piece (in a good way!).

It embarrasses me to I confess that I've never been bitten by his stuff. I've heard lots, and know the 2nd symphony pretty well. I been dazzled by some of the quarter tone stuff.... But I've never had that 'emotional' bonding with his music. I'll keep trying.

Just say the word and I can throw a few Ives compilations together for you. Ives truly opened my ears in a way that I think no other music has - its hard to place into words quite honestly. Keep spinning the Concord, especially Hamelin if you can.

Let me RE-iterate: Schuman! And while we're at it, Lenny Bernstein's Symphonies, esp. Age of Anxiety, and his 'Symphonic Suite from On the Waterfront" is excellent. As far as the best mostly-tonal, "neo-romantic" American? I say Sam Barber!

Love the Schumanator - not on your level but his picture is in my office at school! He is next to Stockhausen and Nono

I'm listening to that now..... pretty great! This will take many listens. Thanks, 'brah'.

Regarding a chamber or percussion ensemble, I might. The biggest problem for me would be to get it rehearsed and performed by... someone....besides students, say. Then how does one get it disseminated'... Soundcloud? I actually wrote a little 'ditty' for a sort of woodwind quintet back in 1990 when I took a Finale class. It's maybe 45 seconds long! But I like it.

I hear that. Easier to get things done in a studio in many ways right?

As for an all sequenced/sampled album, I have certainly thought about this, but I haven't wanted to spend the required time badly enough to take away from my TP writings....not yet. I don't think my current rig is up to snuff, sonically, and I'd need some learning curve time on some softwares. I use Finale, but am not very adept at sonic/synth or sampling software.
    Last edited by chalkpie; 06-05-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ-Plagued View Post
    Wow! Well, you've got a lot of wonderful catching up to do, then!
    I do indeed. It's become easier now that I subscribe to a streaming service. It's an odd coincidence that I happen to have been listening rather intensively to Shostakovich when I came across this thread. By the way, I gave a listen to Schuman's 6th Symphony last night, and found it quite wonderful--I will definitely be exploring more.

Dissertation?! On what, pray tell?
    Nothing musical, sorry to say--I'm an art historian. My dissertation involved a group of texts on aesthetics by Kant, Heidegger, and Derrida, which I related to some contemporary debates about the limits and possibilities of art history as a discipline (could be a great topic for an avant-prog concept album, eh?)

Might we surmise that this is not fully coincidental?
    Well, it may be that there are no coincidences, but I actually believe I would have loved TP even if I had heard it initially as a teen--it is right up my alley, and the fact that it features vocals fairly prominently would have been even more of a plus for me back then. It's funny how much issues of simple access and exposure can determine the paths we take (or don't). Around the time of that Cuneiform sampler, I still relied on finding CDs in stores (and Boston was relatively close at the time, so such a thing wasn't inconceivable), and I don't think I ever came across TP, even among stores that had some Cuneiform albums.

Yay! Amazing to learn that all that blathering actually garnered a new 'convert(s)'!
    It was some pretty amazing "blathering!" It's rare that the people whose music we listen to are willing to share so much about it with us. In fact, I'm wondering if that thread is archived, as I wouldn't mind revisiting it now that I've actually heard much of the music discussed.

I would not say that other composers are NOT bigger influences than DSCH (pardon the double negative). I've been listening hard to 20th century stuff for well over 40 years. Early on I love Le Sacre, which I still think is unmatched as a beacon for the century. And I love Copland's more dissonant stuff, the orchestral music of Britten (which is very bi- or poly-tonal), certain Bartok works, esp. Music for Strings, Perc., etc. I even got into Wourinen's electronic piece "Time's Encomium, as well as Crumb's Macrocosmos, Takemitsu and Mayuzumi (who's Mandala Symphony is a great fave)... But, yes, Schuman is probably my biggest fave, and the one composer I look to most for harmonic inspiration. Check out his 9th Symphony for "edgy". It's really far beyond that, but takes many listens to really 'hear'.
    Believe it or not, I still haven't heard Copland's dissonant stuff, though I knew he made some (I was never especially taken with his more populist stuff). I will seek it out. I definitely enjoy all the other composers you mentioned, except for Mayuzumi, which is a new name for me. As I said, I just heard Schuman for the first time last night, and was impressed--I will look for his Ninth!

You might be surprised to know that I have tended, with a lot of TP music, to take a less "experimental" approach than I might have. As I've said before (somewhere), I like to straddle the edge between tonal and atonal, with fluctuations farther out or in. I've been trying to find a way to keep the music emotive and provocative without being either too saccharin or inscrutably abstract. Of course, there are various spots where the "huh?" factor is much higher......like in 'I Cannot Fly' starting at about 5:30, or at the opening of 'Blown Apart', as we discussed above - an intentional obfuscation of the actual meter...just to mess with people (I think it backfired in that folks never realized it is NOT a weird 'shuffle', but is, in stead, in 5/8 with syncopated accents). And the "Marching as to War" piano bits on AHoM are admittedly pretty odd. Then there's the 2nd section of Dead Silence starting at 2:13, also discussed above. The "instrumental break" in Maelstrom at 1:12. Pretty whacky, I suppose.

But all these are "places" along the path of each piece, to provide scope and contour, interest, etc. to the music. I like to incorporate head-scratching moments, that eventually sound "right". But, that said, what I strive for most is to impact the listener at an emotional level, but without insulting them with trite formulaic ideas....again, walking along the frontier between inside and outside. I could write whole CDs of all completely dissonant and fractured sounding music. Besides being very difficult for us to execute, I think it would not be as satisfying or memorable. I prefer to play around with that sort of thing, as the music leads me, within the larger musical context. Of course, that could change......
    Thanks for the insight into your compositional goals! For what it's worth, I think you have succeeded brilliantly at achieving that exact balance of challenge and accessibility. Although I enjoy some music that occupies the extreme ends of those categories (say, Cecil Taylor and Crowded House), most of what I enjoy the most tends to balance on that precipice, to one degree or the other. I would be very disappointed indeed if you were to go in a completely dissonant/fractured direction, if for no other reason than such approaches can be found pretty easily in the realms of avant jazz or Darmstadt-school composition, but something like Thinking Plague is truly unique, IMO, even within the relatively small realm of avant-prog.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

[COLOR="#0000CD"]Oh yes sir. I own three complete RVW symphony cycles - Haitink, Boult II (EMI), and Handley. I also have a scattering of other recordings, like the RVW "Antartica" on Naxos which is STUNNING. The organ on that recording is unbelievable.
    I love that passage!

I couldn't imagine hearing that recording on full range speakers, but even on my B&W' 602's is sounds incredible. One of the finest engineered classical symphonic recording I own, period. Must hear.
    I will look for it.

Short Symph is also my favorite of the three! I love the groove in 7 in the final movement - its so prog!
    You mean the 'blam-_-ta-ta-ta-ta-_, blam-_-ta-ta-ta-ta-_'....? Yes, "bitchin'". Or do you mean the major scale thing that goes down from the 2nd, then back up to the 7th? Also great. My fave part, though, is the beginning of that, the 3rd, movement, esp. about 30 second in. All that great stuff in five!

Just say the word and I can throw a few Ives compilations together for you. Ives truly opened my ears in a way that I think no other music has - its hard to place into words quite honestly. Keep spinning the Concord, especially Hamelin if you can.
    Mighty generous. But no need for all that. You can just suggest me pieces an performances, maybe in order of 'importance'?, and I can sang them.

[QUOTE=chalkpie;262610] Love the Schumanator - not on your level but his picture is in my office at school! He is next to Stockhausen and Nono

Well.....an apple and 2 oranges! Schuman was never into the "Darmstadt school", nor "avant garde" per sé. He believed in human 'harmonization', not relying os 'systems', but he took this to where it often sounds 12 tone or serialism. But with enough hearings it reveal the Schumanesque logic.

(I said): "Regarding a chamber or percussion ensemble, I might. The biggest problem for me would be to get it rehearsed and performed by... someone....besides students, say. Then how does one get it disseminated'... Soundcloud? I actually wrote a little 'ditty' for a sort of woodwind quintet back in 1990 when I took a Finale class. It's maybe 45 seconds long! But I like it."

I hear that. Easier to get things done in a studio in many ways right?
    Exo-freakin-xactly. And much easier to write for a "band" of known, willing players.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthNY Mark View Post
    I do indeed. It's become easier now that I subscribe to a streaming service. It's an odd coincidence that I happen to have been listening rather intensively to Shostakovich when I came across this thread. By the way, I gave a listen to Schuman's 6th Symphony last night, and found it quite wonderful--I will definitely be exploring more.
    Listen to it until you can hum along! Well....almost! Seriously, it requires a number of hearings to get the themes in your head, and you can keep digging until you realize the whole thing is built from about 3 or 4 related motifs. But more importantly, there are so many passages that are just exquisitely powerful, expressive....

Nothing musical, sorry to say--I'm an art historian.
    Nothing to scoff at!

My dissertation involved a group of texts on aesthetics by Kant, Heidegger, and Derrida, which I related to some contemporary debates about the limits and possibilities of art history as a discipline (could be a great topic for an avant-prog concept album, eh?)
    Well...uh...um.... hehehhh I would be very interested to know what current philosophers of aesthetics think about the tonality / atonality divide....

Well, it may be that there are no coincidences, but I actually believe I would have loved TP even if I had heard it initially as a teen--it is right up my alley, and the fact that it features vocals fairly prominently would have been even more of a plus for me back then. It's funny how much issues of simple access and exposure can determine the paths we take (or don't).
    By "access" you mean the voice? That's kind of exactly how I look at using a vocalist, particularly a woman vocalist, in TP music! It offers (to some at least) a doorway into what initially may sound like instrumental chaos. And I like an unpretentious, sometimes even innocent-sounding voice, as a foil, as it were, to all the instrumental jousting and 'complexification'.

Around the time of that Cuneiform sampler, I still relied on finding CDs in stores (and Boston was relatively close at the time, so such a thing wasn't inconceivable), and I don't think I ever came across TP, even among stores that had some Cuneiform albums.
    Really? Tower Records might have had us! But usually, one would find us in the one or two sort of independent "underground" record store in a metro area. ...or in some case, region.

It was some pretty amazing "blathering!" It's rare that the people whose music we listen to are willing to share so much about it with us. In fact, I'm wondering if that thread is archived, as I wouldn't mind revisiting it now that I've actually heard much of the music discussed.
    I believe PE has it archived.

Believe it or not, I still haven't heard Copland's dissonant stuff, though I knew he made some (I was never especially taken with his more populist stuff). I will seek it out. I definitely enjoy all the other composers you mentioned, except for Mayuzumi, which is a new name for me. As I said, I just heard Schuman for the first time last night, and was impressed--I will look for his Ninth!
    Maybe not quite yet?! It's "out there". The 7th is the next logical step. Although the 3rd is his tonal masterpiece, and is wonderful. As for Copland, his own favorite work, I recall reading, was his Short (2nd) Symphony, and it is quintessential Copland poly-tonality.

Thanks for the insight into your compositional goals!
    Well, so to speak! I just try to write stuff I like!

For what it's worth, I think you have succeeded brilliantly at achieving that exact balance of challenge and accessibility.
    "...Aw...shucks." It IS very subjective, but ....Yay!

[QUOTE=NorthNY Mark;262961] Although I enjoy some music that occupies the extreme ends of those categories (say, Cecil Taylor and Crowded House), most of what I enjoy the most tends to balance on that precipice, to one degree or the other.

Speaking of Cecil Taylor.....well, sort of, have you heard Tim Berne (our colleague, former TP keys man Matt Mitchell pays with him). Great stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuEP_y5bgsA

I would be very disappointed indeed if you were to go in a completely dissonant/fractured direction, if for no other reason than such approaches can be found pretty easily in the realms of avant jazz or Darmstadt-school composition,
    I'd never actually write music like that. For the most part I don't care for 'hard core' serialism. When I delve into the more "dissonant" and fractured", I still write what I want to hear, which will never sound like Pierre Boulez's "Le Marteau sans Maître".... at least not for more than maybe 3 seconds...and always in a larger non-serialist context.

but something like Thinking Plague is truly unique, IMO, even within the relatively small realm of avant-prog.
    Thanks, Mark. Too kind....

Speaking of Cecil Taylor.....well, sort of, have you heard Tim Berne (our colleague, former TP keys man Matt Mitchell pays with him). Great stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuEP_y5bgsA
    I just saw him tonight!

He was playing an improv festival in Portland: First a solo alto sax performance, then later, leading a knotty, extended piece with a pick-up "little big band" of local avant jazzers. Quite impressive. They sounded a bit rough on the ensemble sections - although those tended to be the sort of busy, involved writing that's hard to get clean-sounding - but the improvs were quite good, and everyone seemed solid on the long and complex form.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I just saw him tonight!

He was playing an improv festival in Portland: First a solo alto sax performance, then later, leading a knotty, extended piece with a pick-up "little big band" of local avant jazzers. Quite impressive. They sounded a bit rough on the ensemble sections - although those tended to be the sort of busy, involved writing that's hard to get clean-sounding - but the improvs were quite good, and everyone seemed solid on the long and complex form.
    I'm sure it was good, but it's his composed stuff (and that of Matt Mitchell), played with their usual ensemble, that has impressed me.

...bounce!

Big, big thanks to Mike Johnson for giving us these three live performances to put up on the Cuneiform YouTube page!

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Big, big thanks to Mike Johnson for giving us these three live performances to put up on the Cuneiform YouTube page!
    Wow, fantastic! Enjoying these!

Bill

Made me think of Lost Crowns...

Ah.... Texas. Was this the gig with Dev and the Stop Motion folks? How fun
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    Ah.... Texas. Was this the gig with Dev and the Stop Motion folks? How fun
    Yes.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Amazing clips! Thanks so much Mike/Cuneiform!

Density Cluster
    Those live clips are sounding great! They would be such a treat to catch live. I also love the vibe of a rock group reading on stage; been there myself, and if I ever managed to get people playing the stuff I'm working on now, I'm sure it would be a similar situation

Mike sent me the following note and link:

Hope all is well. I recently got a hold of the (crappy video) and dug up the raw audio tracks we made at our little sort of “CD release” show in 2017. I just finished mixing it and rendering with video. AND I posted it:
    Thought you’d like to see & hear it.
    mj

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nice!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Hope all is well. I recently got a hold of the (crappy video) and dug up the raw audio tracks we made at our little sort of “CD release” show in 2017. I just finished mixing it and rendering with video. AND I posted it:
    mj

wow that was incredible. album-level performance of such complex and tight music.

Great clip.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The guy on keyboards is HUGE!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 02-19-2022 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The guy on keyboards is HUGE!
    Dexter Ford: Interesting person, highly eccentric, great musician. Doesn't get up until about 1 in the afternoon, is obsessed with video-game music, also plays bass very well. Not sure what he's doing right now.

I was in the audience for that, and can be seen at the end in the salmon-colored shirt.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I was in the audience for that, and can be seen at the end in the salmon-colored shirt.
    Yep, I see you there!

mj

Excellently done, guys
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Crowdfunding event for Mike Johnson's upcoming solo album

https://crowdfundr.com/52DLS2?ref=ab...eQF0LmM0NzUeQF

From the site

Well, I’m back, friends… and, umm, I need your help again. (Click on the photo above to see the video, made by Elaine DiFalco, in which she 'interviews' MJ.)

Over the last few years I’ve written a new album of music (around 45 minutes), and have now started the recording process. I hope to release it by mid 2024 on the Cuneiform label, assuming I can get the funding needed (see below).

This will be a "Mike Johnson" album rather than Thinking Plague, and will feature a lot of real orchestration - strings, horns, reeds, etc., as well as 'rock band' with piano, organs, etc., and of course vocals. I'm very fortunate to have enlisted a formidable international line-up of guest artists for this project, including:

On bass, Simon Steensland - the uniquely extraordinary Swedish composer and multi-instrumentalist (J.G. Thirlwell, Thinking Plague, Kamikaze United, Sten Sandell, et al). https://simonsteensland.com

Also on bass, Dave Willey - multi-instrumentalist genius, composer and producer (Hamster Theatre, Thinking Plague, 3 Mice, Klemperei, Big Foot Torso, Legeia Mare, et al). https://www.allmusic.com/artist/dave...00938698/songs

On drums and percussion, Morgan Ågren - also from Sweden, the amazing Grammy winning, international drumming “superstar” (Mats/Morgan, Bill Laswell, Steve Vai, Trey Gunn, Henry Kaiser, Fredrik Thordendal (of Meshuggah), Terry Bozzio, Mike Keneally, Denny Walley, Glenn Huges, Dweezil Zappa, Kaipa, Karmakanic, Simon Steensland, et al) https://www.morganagren.com

Also on drums, Kimara Sajn - the absurdly talented composer and multi-instrumentalist (Polythene Pet, +1, Thinking Plague, et al) https://soundcloud.com/polyethylene-pet-1

On vocals, Elaine di Falco - the incomparable singer, composer, keyboardist and scholar (Caveman Shoestore, Hugh Score, Thinking Plague, Combat Astronomy, Yugen, 3 Mice, The Muffiins, et al) https://www.elainedifalco.com

On reeds and flutes, Mark Harris - master winds player, music scholar-teacher, and longtime friend colleague (Thinking Plague, Hamster Theatre, Ron Miles, Bruce Odland Big Band, Glenn Taylor Orchestra, Legeia Mare, et al) http://markshappynoise.com/projects/

On trumpet, Shane Endsley - killer trumpeter and composer (Kneebody, Steve Coleman, Ani DiFranco, Theo Bleckmann, Michael Formanek, et al) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Endsley

On Piano, Jeremy Kurn - master pianist, composer and musical director - https://stageagent.com/talent/jeremy-kurn-b437

On Oboe and English horn, Caitlin Hilzer - oboist, music director, teacher and actor https://www.flyingsolopresents.com/caitlen-hilzer

On strings, Oene van Geel and friends - Oene is a brilliant Dutch composer-violist (Benoît Delbecq Unit, Cloud Ensemble, Estafest, Henneman String Quartet, Holland Baroque Society, Oxymore Quintet, Pavlov Trio, The Nordanians, Zapp String Quartet, Zapp4) https://oenevangeel.com

Guest guitarist, Bill Pohl - “Holdsworthian” guitar master (Underground Railroad, Thinking Plague, Last Chapter, Covenant, et al)
    https://www.facebook.com/people/Bill...0063572680906/
    https://www.facebook.com/TheUndergroundRailroadBand/

And on guitars, of course, me…Mike Johnson (Thinking Plague, Hamster Theatre, The Science Group, 5UUs, Cage of Reason, et al)

Out of the kindness of their hearts and their desire to be involved, many of these friends and close colleagues are recording parts for this project ‘pro bono.” Various others, however, have to scratch a living from their work, and cannot devote the time required without being paid. They have all offered their services at rates below the norm - in some cases well below. Nevertheless, it will cost a lot to pay all these wonderful musicians.

Here is my best approximation for what the total cost will be:

String section:
    ⁃ Musicians - $1433/day X 2 days = $2866
    ⁃ Studio & engineer - $464/day X 2 days = $929

Piano: $100/song X 6 = $600
    Brass: $200/song X 12 = $2400
    Reeds-winds: $100/song X 2 = $200
    - Bassoon ± $200 X 1 = $200

TOTAL: $7195

We’re not offering “rewards” this time, and here’s why. First, it’s not like I’ll have all of these CDs to send out when they’re made. I have to purchase them from the label, so that depletes the funds a bit. Second, it’s quite a bit of record-keeping, packaging and postal work, and making sure I don’t miss anyone, mix things up, and get people upset with me. Despite my having spent decades in the “real” working world, as an artist and an older person, I’m not great at that part and don’t enjoy it. It’s a distraction from things I need to be more focused on. Depending on how many people contribute, we may be able to include their names in the “Thanks to…” section in the CD booklet.

As regards to what happens if not enough people contribute, the main risk is that, if the process gets stalled, which means a longer delay before release, and could mean having to resort to alterations in the scores, relying on “sampled” instruments, etc. It could mean no record at all, due to life circumstances, seen and unforeseen. (This is where things are now in this streaming digital music world.)

After so many years of doing this, I’ve learned, and am still learning, a great deal about production and mixing. As it stands, I hope to mix this album myself, so I can really get exactly what I’m envisioning…well, to whatever extent may be possible! That will be a first! I’m wanting a wider range of timbres and dynamics - at times a hard ’rocking’ band with edgy string sections, aggressive brass, urgent reeds and double reeds; at other times plaintive, wistful or dreamy orchestral passages integrated with minimal or restrained ’rock band,’ and more. It seems like it has always been my “fate” to actually combine rock band with real orchestra, and I want it to have the best possible detail and clarity as well as atmosphere and attitude. I may need to enlist help from some expert friends, but I intend for it to be more my sonic vision. (For more about the music, please watch the video - the music excerpts are just "quickie" temp mixes.)

So, if you’ve been hoping and waiting for new music from Thinking Plague - or more accurately, from me, the good news is that the music is written, the parts sent to the players, the recording has started, and everything is good to go…except for the funds to pay the musicians. Please consider contributing whatever you may be able to. Thanks very much.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Thank you for the heads up! I am IN.
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Oh - let me just say, from i've heard in the making thus far, it's going to be quite yummy.

There are some tracks which also rock *hard* (just sayin')

If you can pitch in do. I can only imagine the goodness once he gets his hand on orchestra folk and can, you know, pay people

K