Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Thinking Plague

chalkpie

Another favorite by the Plague....maybe in the top 5

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It certainly is a nice bit.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Thinking Plague at Progday? Now, we're talking!! If I had a bucket list for prog bands to see live, they'd be on it!

neil

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Not only are they all in the states, but they are all in the same STATE - Colorado - something not true for the last 20 years, until the last year or so.
    I supposed recent changes to marijuana laws might be one of the reasons

Just kidding, couldn't resist

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I dunno; although I belong to that very crowd myself, I sometimes get the impression that this album remains their allegedly "best" quite simply due to the circumstances of its release back in '98 - seeing how there was little other stuff like this around (apart from their "sister act" the 5UUs). In a sense, it was to then-current day RIO stylings (well aware that Mike J. doesn't necessarily agree on that tag being bestowed on his music) what someone like Änglagård had been with their debut.

I still remember being absolutely floored by In Extremis on release, but I suppose one of the aspects about it that I really still appreciate is the overall feeling of a creative force which hasn't set out to make any specific "kind of prog" but rather composed from the very same eclectic and transgressive ideal that once gave life to progressive rock *at large*. Both AHoM and Decline and Fall might be more technically challenging and intriguing records, but In Extremis holds a special place in head'n'heart.
    Well, other albums in the RIO style released in that era came from Gatto Marte, Miriodor, Present, UZ (ok, kick-started back to life only the following year to IE) , Interference Sardine, Ensemble Rayé, French TV, Koenji, Ruins, Deus Ex Machina, Volapuk, Cro-Magnon, X-Legged Sally, Wyatt, Frith & Greaves , Happy Family, Isildur's Bane, Samla MM, etc... So TP's IE was hardly alone as new release in that RIO niche... Though I gather many of these acts would like to be pigeonholed in that niche

So my idea as to why IE hit imaginations so hard, was that it was much better-sounding than their previous releases. I mean that even Anglagard or symphonic enthusiasts (those not liking RIO/Avant) could even find something to like/love in that album... You were swept into this twirls and endless twists , almost from minute 1 on that album.

It's something they haven't managed to achieve (or repeat) in their next albums, though.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Personally I think Decline and Fall is as good as anything they've released.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Well, other albums in the RIO style released in that era came from Gatto Marte, Miriodor, Present, UZ (ok, kick-started back to life only the following year to IE) , Interference Sardine, Ensemble Rayé, French TV, Koenji, Ruins, Deus Ex Machina, Volapuk, Cro-Magnon, X-Legged Sally, Wyatt, Frith & Greaves , Happy Family, Isildur's Bane, Samla MM, etc... So TP's IE was hardly alone as new release in that RIO niche... Though I gather many of these acts would like to be pigeonholed in that niche

So my idea as to why IE hit imaginations so hard, was that it was much better-sounding than their previous releases. I mean that even Anglagard or symphonic enthusiasts (those not liking RIO/Avant) could even find something to like/love in that album... You were swept into this twirls and endless twists , almost from minute 1 on that album.
    I don't think so-called RIO amounts to any specific "style", and there's a world of difference between many of the acts you mention here - although I personally enjoy the lot of them! I absolutely agree about In Extremis being a potentially allround appealing work, though - and I know for a fact that other acts who were previously more squarely "symph" in approach took to more advanced angles in their sound after hearing it. Ahvak, for instance, were admittedly heavily influenced by this "new" Thinking Plague and apparently changed direction as a result of it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I don't think so-called RIO amounts to any specific "style", and there's a world of difference between many of the acts you mention here - although I personally enjoy the lot of them! I absolutely agree about In Extremis being a potentially allround appealing work, though - and I know for a fact that other acts who were previously more squarely "symph" in approach took to more advanced angles in their sound after hearing it. Ahvak, for instance, were admittedly heavily influenced by this "new" Thinking Plague and apparently changed direction as a result of it.
    I might have chosen my wordsmore carefully in the opening phrase

I meahnt the RIO/Ava,nt genre, which is broadbrushing , and not a "style"
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Listen to this man, he speaks wisely.

Love all of those.
    Hamster Theatre is another one to grab.

Was lucky enough to catch both TP and Hamster Theatre in Denver last year sandwiched in between visiting a ton of tremendous craft breweries. Both groups just killed...

All around the world. On land and in the sea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Hamster Theatre is another one to grab.
    Yep, I've got one of their's too!
    Check out Colouratura's sophomore release Unfamiliar Skies - out this spring on Melodic Revolution Records!

colouratura.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Would be nice. Start a petition or something!
    There's a TP discussion taking place right now on Progday's facebook page, probably a good place to start petitioning.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    There's a TP discussion taking place right now on Progday's facebook page, probably a good place to start petitioning.
    Yeah, I wonder who posted that. Hmmm...
    Check out Colouratura's sophomore release Unfamiliar Skies - out this spring on Melodic Revolution Records!

colouratura.bandcamp.com

Some guy who keeps obsessing about Zappa & Tull, he's kinda irritating.
    Ian

Some guy who keeps obsessing about Zappa & Tull, he's kinda irritating.
    LOL

colouratura.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    A few years back I posted a blurb about this small 11 second section in "Dead Silence" that was one of my favorite little moments in music ever, but don't think anybody responded. Bloody bastards.

Anyway, its at the 2:13 mark until 2:24. Go ahead and I find me better 11 seconds

PS - where's Mike? Calling all Johnsons.....
    Wow!.. Amazing, a TP thread! I thought you guys had gotten bored with us! Thanks to all of you TP enthusiasts.
    Frank, that passage in Dead Silence (BTW, your YouTube link no workie), is what we think of as the start of "part 2"....also known as the "dying goose" (or sheep) section (from the sax part). I've always thought it was whacky, perhaps a little inscrutable (even for me). Glad to know that it works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    TP would be a fantastic choice for PD 2014. Are all the members here in the States, or would there be some Visa stuff to contend with?

I'll mention it to the folks that I know from the committee...
    You mean they haven't nailed down the line-up, yet?

Quote Originally Posted by MJ-Plagued View Post
    No idea...but I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't still a few open slots.

And I'd seriously like to see TP out in the sun for PD 2014.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Welcome to ProgDay!

Sure is hot!

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

STEVE....ixnay on the eather-way!!!

It's a dreamy experience up there. Breezy, refreshing. Your Vitamin D levels will never be better, Mike

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Well if they have they're not telling anyone, they've only announced two bands so far.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

It's something they haven't managed to achieve (or repeat) in their next albums, though.
    I suppose my objectivity would be subject to question, here, but I really can't understand this sentiment (and I have heard/read it before). IE was, indeed, a special album in that it included material written and recorded between the late 80s and about 1997, bridging several different band incarnations (kudos to Bob D. for making it all somehow sound like one album!). And it did have a very effective mix by Bob, despite the fact that it was recorded in various places with various machines from 24 track tape to ADATs. But really, when you talk about "twirls and endless twists"....well, it seems to me that there is plenty of that on AHoM and D&F. What's more, the tunes Lux Lucet and Our "Way of Life" from AHoM were begun before IE ever came out (the former was fully written by about 1990). Meanwhile, some critics have accused us of basically reverting to IE with D&F (see Ragazzi review of D&F) and failing to explore adequately new territory (as Twain said, "you can't please all the people all the time!"). I have acknowledged that I was somewhat mining the same stylistic vein as IE with D&F, at least a little. But D&F is its own thing.

I must object to the idea that TP reached its zenith with IE. I suspect that friend Scrotum Scissors is on to something. IE was the *first* of a series of 3 (so far) TP albums that featured a more sophisticated approach to both writing and recording. It benefited from our increased experience on these fronts. It sort of went where I'd been trying to make us go for a long time, but hadn't yet acquired either the understanding or resources to do so.

For me AHoM has material that is as good and better, but as I have said elsewhere, we didn't get the mix quite right, to my ear, and that may cause it to "rawk" less for some people (when it does rock, anyway). But with D&F I think the mix is really good, and the material is the logical next step (or 2 or 3) farther along the same 'musical evolutionary' path as IE. But it cannot BE 'In Extremis', as nothing else can be ever again. It has its own vibe and aesthetic aims.

The next one will have its own rather different approach as well, of course, but I have no doubt someone will accuse it of being just more D&F, IE or whatever. Sorry folks, it's just what I do, and I'm not ready to chuck everything and either start doing all free improv or totally inscrutable abstract serialism (yet! 8^D) But I would ask that people listen to any subsequent TP release (of which, yes, another is in the works) without expecting or needing it to be another IE. (And when I say listen, I mean a LOT....10 times?! )

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    No idea...but I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't still a few open slots.

And I'd seriously like to see TP out in the sun for PD 2014.
    Ah, the sweatfest! Sure, I think we'd do it, if asked. But if they're gonna ask, better be soon. Time is short, and people get booked up!

Great to see you back here Mike, it's always extremely interesting to get the artists perspective on their material. I'm looking forward to the new one a lot. For what it's worth I like D&F as much as IE and they are certainly different albums though distinctly Plagueish.
    Ian

Great to see you back here Mike, it's always extremely interesting to get the artists perspective on their material. I'm looking forward to the new one a lot. For what it's worth I like D&F as much as IE and they are certainly different albums though distinctly Plagueish.
    Thanks, Ian! Am I right in thinking that you are newer to the TP 'fold', and did hear IE when it first came out?

Thanks, Ian! Am I right in thinking that you are newer to the TP 'fold', and did hear IE when it first came out?
    IE was my first TP album, I bought it around 9 or 10 years ago when I first started seriously into more avant music. I've subsequently bought all of them.
    Ian