Thread: St Vincent

St Vincent

Caught St Vincent on Later http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...s-44-episode-5 never heard of her before, although my mate bangs on about her a bit.

The thing that struck me was her weird guitar playing, v similar to Adrian Belews work in KC, check the last track she plays on this the duelling guitars with her bandmate. Brilliant stuff.

I saw her with David Byrne last year. He featured her guitar playing several times during the show, even over David's guitar. Heavy on tone and effects, but she was overshadowed by David's brass band. Her vocals made more of an impact to me. Her latest videos don't do justice to her musical talent, imho. Have you heard her latest album?
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

No use posting something from BBC iPlayer as this is not accessible for non UK residents. Here is the first song she did:

Posted this the day after seeing it but knew they could never keep up with something this good.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Her first 2 albums had some great tracks on them (especially the second half of each album). Then she started doing different arrangements, and lost me.

Quote Originally Posted by revporl View Post
    Caught St Vincent on Later http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...s-44-episode-5 never heard of her before, although my mate bangs on about her a bit.

The thing that struck me was her weird guitar playing, v similar to Adrian Belews work in KC, check the last track she plays on this the duelling guitars with her bandmate. Brilliant stuff.
    She was also on Saturday Night Live last weekend doing two songs. I have never really explored her stuff, but she always intruigues me when I see her on TV. I should probably check her out.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    Her first 2 albums had some great tracks on them (especially the second half of each album). Then she started doing different arrangements, and lost me.
    I used to love her, but her music seems far too much into using odd distrortion or *noise* rock than what it used to.

Quote Originally Posted by revporl View Post
    The thing that struck me was her weird guitar playing, v similar to Adrian Belews work in KC
    I once described her as "imagine if Adrian Belew and Enya had produced offspring".

But I agree she has gotten much "noisier" on her past couple albums. In the past there was an undercurrent of anger in the songs that wasn't so overt.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I'm digging what the "fucked up" guitar playing adds to her music. Reminds me a little of Adrian Belew, Arto Lindsay, etc. I always loved that kind of guitar playing aspect of the New York No Wave bands.

Took my daughters to see her show in Phoenix in March. Stellar event. Been a fan since the Letterman "Marrow" performance. Check out her Austin City Limits appearance if it is available online - recorded after releasing "Actor", it's more about performance than the theatrics of her current Digital Witness tour, and a fine display of her Belewish chops. (I like the Belew/Enya comparison describes her to a tee). As she told Colbert when she guested on his show earlier this year (paraphrasing) "I like to straddle the line between accessibility and the lunatic fringe."
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Recycling a St. Vincent thread. She has a new album out, and was interviewed on NPR yesterday. I've only heard a little of what I think is her first album, and can't really remember it. But in this interview the interviewer referred to her as "one of the great shredders," and mentioned that her father was a very talented guitar player. Is she really one of the great shredders (whatever that means exactly)? The interviewer implied that she'd had to give up her "shredding" efforts in order to go in a more pop direction.

If any fans can recommend one (1!) song of hers that is the most sonically interesting to you, I'd listen to a few. I just want to get more of a sense of what she's about. The interview also cited the usual, Kate Bush and Tori Amos, as touch points.

I know she's related to Tuck Andress, who is a fantastic guitarist. Not so sure about her Dad...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I know she's related to Tuck Andress, who is a fantastic guitarist. Not so sure about her Dad...
    According to Wikipedia her father was in the tax business, so maybe they meant "shredder" literally.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Recycling a St. Vincent thread. She has a new album out, and was interviewed on NPR yesterday. I've only heard a little of what I think is her first album, and can't really remember it. But in this interview the interviewer referred to her as "one of the great shredders," and mentioned that her father was a very talented guitar player. Is she really one of the great shredders (whatever that means exactly)? The interviewer implied that she'd had to give up her "shredding" efforts in order to go in a more pop direction.

If any fans can recommend one (1!) song of hers that is the most sonically interesting to you, I'd listen to a few. I just want to get more of a sense of what she's about. The interview also cited the usual, Kate Bush and Tori Amos, as touch points.
    She can shred (which she doesn't do much), but her playing reminds me of what I expect from a Bowie guitarist, kinda weird. The new one and the previous self-titled CD are both really good, but her entire back-catalog is solid.

I like this tune, not sure:

I'll be seeing her in Raleigh next month, I think it will be a fun show.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Ok, looked it up - he's her uncle.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I have one of her albums, which I do like, but find I revisit Love This Giant (her album with David Byrne) the most.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I have one of her albums, which I do like, but find I revisit Love This Giant (her album with David Byrne) the most.
    Didn't know about this, but love his album Here Lies Love, so I'll check this one out.

St. Vincent is the new Bowie? (Or so proclaims Pitchfork.)

I really enjoy all her albums but especially the first two.

Very cool artist.
    The Prog Corner

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

Just so you know, there are no keyboard solos.

Hardly any guitar solos, either.

I remember you once indicated that these are necessary before you can declare that something is exceptional.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Just so you know, there are no keyboard solos.

Hardly any guitar solos, either.

I remember you once indicated that these are necessary before you can declare that something is exceptional.
    I didn't phrase it quite that way, but thanks for the info. I think when I made those comments I said there were exceptions, and mentioned that while Kate Bush's albums contain little in the way of solos, they're mostly excellent. But they excel in other ways (vocals, melodies, synth textures, etc.) so maybe St. Vincent's albums do to...