Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FEATURED CD - Happy The Man The Muse Awakens

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    it's been out of print for a number of years, Chris. Certainly since Inside Out / SPV went bust and possibly before
    Gotcha. I didn't realize that was another one of those things that was on Inside Out. My lost, then. I'll have to keep my eyes open for if/when a decent priced copy turns up.

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    Heard a tape at a friend's house of Happy The Man live in 2000 at Nearfest. The version of "Contemporary Insanity" was amazing! All the material, old and new, was completely outstanding. I hope someone on this planet officially releases this concert. I would die for this. The members of this band are characters on stage. They are a bit comical and entertaining in a sarcastic way.
    Would be an auto buy for me if it was ever released. Pretty sure their ProgDay performance in 2002 was recorded as well. That was another great one.

Quote Originally Posted by dregsfan View Post
    Really love the cd, although the balance was tilted just a bit too far to the mellow side for my taste. IMHO, the Rosenthal-penned tracks are the strongest with the most memorable melodies. Along that line of thinking, the Frank/Stan tunes have always benefited from a 3rd writer/arranger in the band (Kit, Rosenthal, Bill Plummer) as their efforts without one (Pedal Giant Animals and OS's second release) aren't nearly as strong. YMMV.
    That's why I thought the post on the Happy The Fan-site about a different track-order on the promo was interesting. That promo sounds as if it's more in balance.

"(The promo) has track 4 and 10 the other way around, so on 4 is Kindred Spirits and on track 10 is Maui Sunset. I thought this order was great, because the sea-sounds at the beginning of Maui Sunset seem to give this track a link to the following Il Quinto Mare, which also has the sea-sounds. I also think that placing Maui Sunset after Stepping Through Time is a bit strange; both tracks have a kind of epic feel and both have in fact the only two real guitar-solo's."

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    it's been out of print for a number of years, Chris. Certainly since Inside Out / SPV went bust and possibly before
    A bit old news, but Frank Wyatt has re-released The Muse himself a few years ago: https://frankwyattmusic.com/store#!

I just listened to this for the first time in years (on a road trip down to San Diego), and it held up better than I remembered.

The best tunes are top quality, but as other people have mentioned, the quieter tunes are a bit of a disappointment. When the early band, with Watkins did quieter tunes, they had a certain power and mystery to them. On this, they are kind of limp.

I just think about this album as an EP, skip the weak tunes, and I am perfectly happy. But then, I tend to rate artists by their best pieces, but don't tend to downgrade them too much based on their weak pieces.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell