Thread: Terra Incognito Fesitval, Quebec

Terra Incognito Fesitval, Quebec

If ya missed it- you missed it! We had an amazing time. I would rank it as one of the, if not the, top Glass Hammer shows ever. IZZ and 3rd Degree also put on killer sets. Some of the other bands I was less familiar with but the ones I was able to catch were very good. But the real stars were the city and the people of Quebec. Just a fabulous, wonderful place and they love their prog! Thanks you Michel for having us!
    Last edited by trurl; 05-20-2014 at 05:56 PM.

On behalf of Might Could / Sonus Umbra, we had a phenomenal time. We appreciated the crowd response and warmth very much - I personally have never played in front of such an enthusiastic audience! My only regret is that we couldn't stay longer.

Terra IncognitA. I havn't sleept in 4 days.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Terra IncognitA. I havn't sleept in 4 days.
    The music was still playing in your head or you were on a party each night and morning... I can understand, Quebec is so nice that you can't loose your time by sleeping...

I'm glad to hear you say it was Glass Hammer's best show ever trurl, as I have to say it was 3RDegree's as well. A capacity (200?), attentive, humor-filled, audience-some who were singing the lyrics to our songs-and then a standing ovation to top it all off. We had an opening gag where we got on stage with the wrong instruments. We did that because we actually had to cut a song we had planned on playing for reasons outside our control. So we were stretching! We do a bit of a jam on one song that we extended even further. We did well enough at our merch table to pay for gas and the hostel so not too shabby.

Here was our set list for anyone interested:

Human Interest Story
    Cautionary Tale
    You're Fooling Yourselves
    Apophenia
    The Socio-Economic Petri Dish
    Televised
    Memetic Pandemic
    Ladder
    Live WithThis Forever
    Life At Any Cost
    The Best & Brightest
    Free For All
    Top Secret

Terra Incognita is an absolutely top notch festival. Michel is an amazing promoter/host. Really, I don't think there is a nicer guy on this planet.
    Our weekend stared out badly howere, with US AssWays canceling our Friday flight to Quebec making us miss, what we hear, was a legendary set from IZZ. "Pissed off" does not come closed to what I felt. I was so looking forward to that. So I can't account for Day 1.
    Day 2 with Neodyme, 3rd Degree and Glass Hammer were just amazing. Such great sets from all. GH made my weekend by encoring with Time Marches On, from my still favorite recording of theirs, Perelandra. Really strong set, beautifully performed.
    Day 3 Sonus Umbra opened and brought the house down. Wow. Having to substitute their Might Could guitarist at the last minute to learn the Sonus material, you wouldn't have guess it. They were on fire and got the best audience response you could ever hope for. There may only be a couple hundred or so seats in the place, but the sound was that of a much larger herd.
    Unreal City, a new, very young Italian band put in a great set as well. Wonderful music from their 1st CD and a taste of the new one to come. Hopefully they'll start making waves and would be an excellent band for ROSfest! We got to spend some time with them into the wee Monday AM hours and had really great conversation.
    Fabio Zuffanti......what can I say. He and his band just smoked the stage. The diversity of the material played was staggering. There's a reason this guy is legendary. See whatever project he's playing in at the moment and you'll know why. Whether it's Hostsoneten, Finesterre, La Machera di Cera, or the Z band, go and take it all in like a fine wine.

Thank you to Michel for all he does and just being him! And a big thanks to the sound man, great job.
    Planning on returning next year. This and ROSfest are our annual pilgrimages.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

I've made the trek once and glad to hear that things are still going well in Quebec!

Hey Robert, just sent you a PM.
    Yeah, that was a fun set. We really dug the political lyrics.

Quebec is awesome. We love our trips there.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

It's funny. It seems like so many people are in the seating area but when it lets out it seems like less people.

Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada; Montreal, Quebec, Canada; Coburn Gore, Maine, USA
    Video of Fabio Zuffanti at Terra Incognita

http://dai.ly/x1vqr0x
    Last edited by Pierre; 05-22-2014 at 12:18 PM.

Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada; Montreal, Quebec, Canada; Coburn Gore, Maine, USA
    Video of italian band Unreal City -they are very young, look like college students, and were really fun.
    Someone commented that it was like seeing PFM at the beginning of their career in 1972.

google translation from italian

What to add to the wonderful experience music and art of the last days ? We have just returned from the beautiful tour de force that has seen us on stage Friday 16th green of the FIM Genoa on Sunday 18 and that of Terra Incognita in Québec , Canada. We would like to thank all those who came to see us at one of these two wonderful events. The Canadian gig surprised us so much that is in indescribable, with a reception that we never expected : lines to get autographs, photos, standing ovation at the end of each track in the evening and the audience singing the chorus in Dove La Luce E' Più Intensa. There can not be one thing better for the musicians than to feel the vibrant energy of an audience like that of Terra Incognita . Again, let us thank wholeheartedly those who have made ​​possible this wonderful experience lasting 3 days: Michel , Francine , Fabio , Athos, Massimo , Pino and all the others who have helped and are helping each extrême listen to our music . Thank you all

In french...

---Retour du Canada ! Que dire de la merveilleuse expérience musicale, que nous avons eu dans les derniers jours ? Nous sommes juste rentrés de l'étonnant tour de force qui nous a vu sur deux scènes différentes, séparés par des milliers de kilomètres en seulement deux jours, nous parlons de la magnifique Riviera ProgFest (FIM, Genova) le 16 mai et l'incroyable expérience que nous avons eu à Terra Incognita ProgFest au Québec, Canada, le 18 mai !
    Vraiment, nous aimerions remercier tous les gens qui sont venus nous voir. Au Québec, en particulier, vraiment surpris nous comme nous avons vu une chaleur qu'on ne s'attend jamais, nous étions si heureux de signer des autographes et faire des photos avec vous les gars ! Nous n'aurions jamais attendu de recevoir les ovations debout à la fin de chaque chanson, que nous avons effectué et surtout nous ne devrait jamais vous les gars pour chanter « Colombe La Luce E 'Più Intensa » avec nous, c'était incroyable !
    Pour les musiciens, rien n'est mieux que de sentir l'énergie et la chaleur de l'auditoire et vous les gars en Terra Incognita nous a fait sentir plus que jamais !
    Donc, une fois de plus, nous devons remercier tous ceux qui ont rendu cela possible : Michel, Francine, Fabio, Athos, Massimo, Pino et tout le monde qui est d'aider et de soutenir notre musique !
    Merci!

Thanks for video Pierre. Very nice! That set was so damn excellent.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by mightcould Tim View Post
    On behalf of Might Could / Sonus Umbra, we had a phenomenal time. We appreciated the crowd response and warmth very much - I personally have never played in front of such an enthusiastic audience! My only regret is that we couldn't stay longer.

Very much looking forward to seeing both MC/SU Saturday 5/31 at NewEARS' Day of Prog in Arlington (Boston)! www.newears.org

We didn't make it this year, but I am not surprised by the audience reactions. I've been saying for a while that Quebec City and Montreal are the best audiences that I've seen and been a part of. It's a great feeling as an audience member to be part of that level of appreciation for music.
    <sig out of order>

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I second Guy's sentiment. My wife and I first enjoyed Montreal's late, lamented FMPM but have returned repeatedly for Neal Morse, Transatlantic, Carl Palmer, UK, Steve Hackett...an easy five hour drive (travelling mostly through Guy's beuatiful vermont) and we're there. Haven't yet made it to Quebec City (still kicking myself for missing Phideaux) but hopefully will in the future.

sounds like I should attend this fest if there's another one...

Quote Originally Posted by Prog_nosticator View Post
    sounds like I should attend this fest if there's another one...
    YES!! Definitely go to this...it's deserving of more attention. It's impeccably run, allows for plenty of time to hit Quebec City (one of my favorite places to visit) and getting there can be virtually identical to trekking to a US prog fest (with the addition of an extra minute or two at the border crossing). I think you'd really enjoy it.