Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The space between psych and prog

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Try telling that to the presenters of a certain radio program that I listen to. they play stuff from the late 60s and early 70s, most of it quite obscure and very little of it familiar to me. they seem to label nearly every damn song as "psych-pop" or "psych-folk". the criterion for "psych" seems to be the presence of any artificially induced modification of the sound whatsoever. To take a familiar example (they would not actually play this, it's far too mainstream), they would classify something like The Small Faces' "Itchycoo Park" as "psych-pop". No one ever called it that back in the day, it was just a poop song with a few clever special effects. I have even more of a problem with their "psych-folk", which to me often sounds simply like folk. They certainly distinguish between psych and prog; occasionally they will play something by say Aphrodite's Child, or king Crimson, and they definitely categorise those as prog.

I sometimes wonder if their definition of "psych" is "anything recorded between 1965 and 1975".
    As far as I'm concerned, psych folk is reserved only for bands like Comus and Jan Dukes de Grey.

Suspended
    BTW I edited my post about the Small Faces. I meant to say Itchycoo Park was a pop song.

Still alive and well...

Yeah boy, been listening to a bunch or proggy psych stuff including:

The Cosmic Dead
    Dead Skeletons
    Salamander
    Perplexia