Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Dave Kerzner Solo Album Sound Cloud Preview Clips and Kickstarter

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    Wow! That's a great interview! I've never seen it. But, if Cintra was walking in the studio I have an idea of when this was done. Around that time I was his roommate in this funky house that was like a little castle. Stained glass windows and there was even a throne in the front room (the people who owned the house may have been a little crazy). Ed Greene (drummer on Steely Dan and Fagen albums like Aja and Nightfly) lived in the guest house next door.

So, that settles my own question about whether this specific U47 was used on the Toy Matinee album too. Looks like it was! I'm so glad it made its way to me so many years later. Jon had sold it to Mark Hornsby (who recorded the orchestral version of "Long Days Life" on the re-release of Shaming) and then Mark sold it to me. As I said, I almost ALSO bought the other mic Kevin used a lot which was the Neumann M49. Jon still had that and I just couldn't afford to justify owning both. That is another beautiful sounding mic though. But, the u47 is "the one" if you had to pick one... just as he says. His third mic of choice was an AKG C24 that he had which is like a stereo C12 tube mic. He used it as a room mic at the studio as well. But, sometimes for voice. Maybe not his voice but perhaps for different singers he worked with the C24 or M49 would get a chance vs. his U47.

The box says U48 so it might have originally been a U48 which has a figure 8 pick up pattern I believe. What that means is that it picks up signals from BOTH sides equally. That's not as good as a straight cardiod pattern for one vocalist. But, interestingly enough, Ken Scott (a producer/engineer I've worked with at Sonic Reality on the product "Epik Drums") told me that when he recorded The Beatles for the White Album and Magical Mystery Tour that they'd use a U48 to record two vocalists at once (vocalists being John, Paul or George!). That's of course because they had limited tracks back then and had to record multiple parts on each pass. If one person messed it up you had to redo the take... or leave it as it was.

I find it interesting that certain equipment from that era is STILL some of the best you can use today. Now it's "vintage" and costs a ton to get these mics, the compressors (Kevin and Bill used a lot of 1176's, I think he had an 1178 and I believe they had a DBX160 as well. Their only "reverb" I believe was a Roland SRV2000 which they both liked... but they rarely used reverb. Very dry production. Some of the discrete, optical and tube compressors and EQs can at least be modeled in software and more or less do the trick, especially for those that either can't afford a vintage one OR even if you can you can use more of them on more tracks in software. But, a mic is a mic. I'm not convinced yet with "mic modeling". I like owning the real thing... as much as I can afford to anyway. They're super expensive. I also use a Telefunken 251E which is similar in some ways to an AKGC12. I also use a Neumann U67 (another popular Beatles mic. It's a tube version of the popular U87). I got good deals on those. But a vintage M49... just can't do it. Not even Kevin's which if I was ever going to get one it would have been that one. Still, I am so lucky to have this U47. It sounds great AND has a great history AND means a lot to me personally (as I say in the video).

I used it with Randy when we recorded his Lo-Fi Resistance "Chalk Lines" album. Sounded great on his voice.
    I saw this interview sometime ago, and Kevin's mention of the mike resonated with me. I was shocked when I read that you had it. Kevin's vocals on Toy Matinee were awesome, and counter to what Kevin said about the east coast not playing TM much, I did hear it in DC/Baltimore on WHFS. Of course HFS in 1990 was without match in the commercial radio world on the east coast. Not prog, but eclectic is descriptive.

Just letting you all know there's now one week left to pre-order on Kickstarter with the various bonus extras. Some people assumed the Deluxe Edition was the same as the Standard album with added bonus tracks at the end (like what we often see). This one is different. It's an extended version of the album embellished with ambient atmosphere and additional songs placed into the flow of the story as opposed to tacked on at the end as an extra. I explain the differences between the two in the latest update today: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...r/posts/931474

Anyway, the link to pre-order it on Kickstarter is here (so you don't have to search for it): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...y-dave-kerzner

New update posted that features audio previews with Steve Hackett in case you're interested. Also, just a reminder there's only 4 days left to get the album with the exclusive extras in the campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...r/posts/935531

Banned
    Dave may not be updating here for awhile since he hurt his back. However he received a surprise phone which took the pain away. Another revelation is set to coincide with the end of the campaign which is less than 60 hours away.

I'm on a heating pad at the moment actually. You can't sit at the piano and keyboard for too long without getting up and walking around. I should know better. However, I just didn't want to be the only one posting in here. There IS some Prog-related news to share soon though (related to that phone call). I shared a bit in the backers section and will share more probably by tomorrow when I have more info. But, yes, it did cheer me up after throwing my back out. The campaign is also a success and it's made it possible to do a few things I didn't think we were going to have the budget for like recording live strings and other symphonic instruments, looking into vinyl as well. Depending on a few things we may be able to mix in 5.1 too.

In any case, there's now only 32 hours left if anyone wants to pre-order my album "New World" with exclusive extras only on Kickstarter. Here's the link again: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...y-dave-kerzner

5.1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pledged, quite intrigued by this. Was sold on the crazy Hackett (I think) guitar in the preview clip.

Hey Guys! Here's a post I just made talking about the fact that there's only 9 hours left in the campaign AND I posted a full 10+ minute song just for the backers. It's not too late to pre-order the album... here's the rest of my post:

Right now the backers of the album are listening to an exclusive preview of "Stranded"! Just letting you know this is the last chance to pre-order my debut Progrock album "New World" on Kickstarter! Just 10 hours to go and it's done (just after midnight tonight EST). There are exclusive updates that only the backers can see and hear including the FULL 10 and a half minute "rock opera" called "Stranded" featuring Steve Hackett (Genesis), Durga McBroom (Pink Floyd) and more which has just been posted!

Here's the link to become a backer before it's too late: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...y-dave-kerzner

Keep in mind that even just the $10 download version is better here than on iTunes, Amazon etc. You get 2 extra tracks, both mp3 and FLAC plus a PDF booklet with the lyrics and liner notes. There's also a Deluxe "Extended" Edition that's 140 minutes long and various bundles with additional material like acoustic versions, outtakes and more. Check it out and watch the video on the link above for more info and audio examples.

4 hours left!

Just pledged and shared the link on Facebook. After hearing Sound of Contact, I'm really looking forward to this!

Just got my pledge in.

Best of luck to you Señor Squids, know that you have at least one backer from Mexico.

Am enjoying "Stranded", the 10-minute song. Looking forward to the full album.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Thanks guys! I'm glad you're liking it so far. There's so much music on here and I'm really fusing together my musical past from influences to the sort of sounds and elements I've explored before with SOC and Kevin Gilbert (there's even a track I'm doing right now that I use that swirly mighty Wurlitzer on... very Doorsy/No Quarter/Joytown sounding) and all sorts of new exploration as well which is also sparked by the incredible musicians I'm working with on this album. I just got an email from Steve Hackett who listened to the latest mix of "Stranded" and he loves it. He actually said he wanted me to turn the vocals up even more he liked it so much! Damn... you know I'm as big a Hackett and Genesis fan as any of you guys are pretty much. Isn't that cool?!!! What a nice guy too... taking the time to listen and write a response like that while he's busy touring.

Anyway, now that the "big parade" is over it's time to get to work! Actually I've been working on this album for awhile now so I've got a huge head start and now fortunately I'll have the funds to pay for everything without the need of a record label. I might look for distribution at some point in order to get the discs around the world. But, the production of the album is a major green light... and it is an ambitious production with symphonic elements, star players in different parts of the world and all sorts of Proggy things going on. I kind of went all out on this one. I guess it was sort of bottled up, especially since I was on a roll from working on Dimensionaut (and that was actually mixed at the end of 2010 so there's been some time since... even though most of the tracks on this album were written in the last 6 months... and there's actually another whole album of material I was potentially going to do with SOC that will eventually see the light of day).

Alright so I'll post on here if there's any sort of Proggy activity going on. I'm working with Francis Dunnery right now on his "Vampires" album which revisits classic It Bites tunes. I'm also playing keys on a track for Amadeus Awad that features KILLER drums by Marco Minnemann. I'm co-writing the Mantra Vega album with Heather Findlay and getting all my tracks finished for my album. Really busy! Making up for all the time I wasn't as active I guess.

Here's a new audio clip (over half the song) from my album if you're curious to hear something new from it: https://soundcloud.com/davekerznerba...ew-world-album

WeatherWiseCDC
    Hi Dave! It's great to hear from you.

I'm very excited for your album, and I'm happy to hear that things are going really smoothly. Do you have any distribution plans in mind for your album at the moment? Are we going to be ordering directly from you, or will you be distributing to music stores? Thanks.

Cheers,
    WW

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    No offense, but Marillion recorded Brave faster than this!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    No offense, but Marillion recorded Brave faster than this!
    haha. They're a whole band! I'm just one person with a small team of people. But I am brave.

In all seriousness, it's almost done. In fact, the main album goes off to mastering in a few days. The Deluxe Edition and bonus tracks, on the other hand, will carry on for another week or so.

@WW, thanks. Direct from my web site will be one way to get it. We use Sonic Reality's online store eSoundz.com which already ships out all sorts of music-related products from a warehouse here in Florida. But, the CD(s) might be available through select dealers and distributors in different regions... perhaps places like Burning Shed, Amazon... we'll see. Obviously the digital download release will be on all the popular stores like iTunes, Amazon, Google etc. I'm going to keep an eye out for potentially good distribution opportunities for specific areas of the world though. My main priority has been to finish the album and first make the Kickstarter backers who funded it happy.

Take your time Dave. Really looking forward to the deluxe edition. I love your cinematic approach to music and that is not to be rushed through.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Take your time Dave. Really looking forward to the deluxe edition. I love your cinematic approach to music and that is not to be rushed through.

Rick
    Thanks Rick. We've been busy and productive. It's good to have some deadlines though because one could just continue working on it forever. At some point you have to call it.

If you like the cinematic approach then the Deluxe Edition has a lot of instrumental embellishment and rich ambience.

By the way, I shared another audio clip today. It's not the final mix so some of the vocal levels are still being tweaked (music part is pretty much final though). I'll have this wrapped up tomorrow but it's part of an 18+ minute piece at the end of the album. https://soundcloud.com/davekerznerba...h-on-the-dunes

You know this is one of the reasons I love progressive music. I have 2 young kids. Life is hectic and crazy. I always feel like I am a few steps behind.

But, putting on an epic tune / album that takes it's time going somewhere, is very therapeutic to me. I love music that takes it's time and is not in a rush to spit out a Verse Chorus Verse Chorus in 3 minutes and end. Don't get me wrong, I am not into rambling jams that go nowhere. But, I love to hear a song start with a slow build up. Have recurring themes and melody, interesting instrumental passages, etc. A journey, if you will.

A big reason why I am looking forward to listening to this release one evening in the future with a glass of wine, the kids in the bed and no particular place to go. Thanks Dave.

Rick..

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You know this is one of the reasons I love progressive music. I have 2 young kids. Life is hectic and crazy. I always feel like I am a few steps behind.

But, putting on an epic tune / album that takes it's time going somewhere, is very therapeutic to me. I love music that takes it's time and is not in a rush to spit out a Verse Chorus Verse Chorus in 3 minutes and end. Don't get me wrong, I am not into rambling jams that go nowhere. But, I love to hear a song start with a slow build up. Have recurring themes and melody, interesting instrumental passages, etc. A journey, if you will.

A big reason why I am looking forward to listening to this release one evening in the future with a glass of wine, the kids in the bed and no particular place to go. Thanks Dave.

Rick..
    Great to hear your perspective Rick. I feel the same way. I like when music takes you somewhere and moves you emotionally. That's why I've done two versions of the album. The first main single CD version has departures within the songs (and especially the final 18 minute piece). Partially because of the way I funded the album using Kickstarter (and partially because I had more music than could fit on one CD), I put together a Deluxe 2 CD version of the album. But, instead of just making it an additional CD with bonus tracks/outtakes, I made an extended, cinematically embellished version of the album that also includes the vocal/song outtakes in the order they appear in the story of the concept album (which, of course, is open to interpretation but at least how I see them fitting together). So, for a song like "My Old Friend" which features a mini "Thud Reunion" as it has myself, NDV and Russ Parrish playing together for the first time since the mid-90s when we played with Kevin Gilbert, on the Deluxe Edition just before that song there's about 2 minutes of atmospheric ambient mood music (something along the lines of Peter Gabriel's Passion album if you're familiar with that) and that sets it up... kind of like the music you'd hear in a concert before the band goes on stage. Something to build anticipation and also zone out to a bit. I did some of that sort of thing on "Dimensionaut" as well. Some space and segues are nice when you have the room to do it. The main single CD is 78 minutes so it's full up and there's only 11 songs. So, the 2 CD version stretches out even further (and it's over 140 minutes total) with all sorts of segues and extended outros etc. But, with all of that time there's actually very little, if any, "rambling jams" and none that "go nowhere". At least not in my opinion. It's subjective so you can decide for yourself. But, the approach has been very deliberate and compositional. Everything is based around songs that would work on just guitar or piano with vocal. I find that's a strong foundation to make an album from. Anyway... back to mixing it! haha. Almost done.

What I've heard from the clips sounds great, Dave. You certainly didn't skimp on ingredients! I have a feeling the mix will be dynamic, once you have decided on where things should sit. Finish strong dude!

Quote Originally Posted by Leibowitz View Post
    What I've heard from the clips sounds great, Dave. You certainly didn't skimp on ingredients! I have a feeling the mix will be dynamic, once you have decided on where things should sit. Finish strong dude!
    Thanks!