Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevin Gilbert News: 2014

Kevin Gilbert News: 2014

There are a few different threads with Kevin Gilbert as the topic, so I decided to make one thread where I can update with official news from his Estate.

We have just opened the Official Kevin Gilbert FaceBook page: https://www.facebook.com/kevingilbertofficial

There is a 'community' page set in place; that will still exist. This new page will be updated with a lot of content this year.

We also have a new official YouTube channel that will go live today.

Yes, there will be new releases (plural) that will be out this year. Also, some other news that will be of interest to KG fans.

Stay tuned for those announcements.

Here's just a sample…

Liked and Following on FB. Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Liked and Following on FB. Thanks a lot!
    It's definitely my pleasure. We've been working on these things for quite sometime. There has always been a lack of internet presence in an official form. It's not due to laziness or neglect. Some things just needed time, for whatever reason. The fact is that now is when Kevin Gilbert fans should really be getting excited. Doing Facebook, YouTube and a new site is just what's happening on the web. The real fun is the official releases that are approaching.

I've recently combined my personal collection with the Estate's material. Everything I have collected and that was given to me by Kevin, his friends/family, other fans -- everything -- I have been cataloging all available material. For the estate I started doing the video material in 2002 along with Stan Ausmus (Spock's Beard 'family' member). The material was transferred to digital format. We had dubs from VHS, Super8, Pro Beta, and other formats. Fast forward to 2008 -- I re-archived 95% of the video. I separated everything into chronological order and logged it all. I then made DVDr's of everything. I sent a set to Jon Rubin for review. At CalProg that year, I played portions of the DVDs on a television in the merchandise room. The Troubadour show is what was used first for an official release. The bonus footage from that DVD comes from some of that archived footage.

Nuts/Bolts was finalized and readied for release along with the Troubadour DVD. Then the Estate attempted the LP set for 'Shaming'. After that didn't get off the ground, the packaging was perfect for the CD re-release. When Nick D'Virgilio was set to perform 'Shaming' in 2012, I helped get the Giraffe albums ready for a surprise re-release. We also got NRG ready for its CD debut. The original artwork was not to be found so I scanned and photographed every album cover/CD. The text was recreated and I feel everything came out great. There were a few reasons to release them in cardboard sleeves. The material is very dated. It is some great stuff, but the production does sound very 80s. So, releasing them as such meant production cost would be low and the price can be kept low to the consumer. Through the years, most hard core fans would state, "I just want the music." It seems to have been a success because they have sold well and the overall response has been very positive.

At the 'Shaming' performance, I displayed the retrospective film that I had compiled. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. That night Jon and I began discussing what would be cool release(s) for the fans and be respectful of what Kevin would have wanted at this point in his life. We've talked and brainstormed and came up with a plan. Earlier this year there was a 'green light' given to one project. When Nick was here with Cirque, Nick, Jon and I went to the KG vault and the decision was made to re-archive everything. That's what I've been doing for months. If everything goes to plan, there's some fun stuff ahead.

In the meantime, the Facebook page will see a portion of the revamped website. The YouTube channel of vids will be fan favorites and stuff never seen before. It's also a hopeful gauge for things to come. It's great to finally be able to share this material. Some never thought this time would come. I always hoped it would.

Sounds great Gruno...looking forward to seeing what you folks have planned

And thanks
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

really appreciate all your work and efforts with this Gruno.

Wonderful news Gruno - thanks for all you've done!

It'll be very good to finally hear and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    the decision was made to re-archive everything. That's what I've been doing for months. If everything goes to plan, there's some fun stuff ahead.
    You've developed a reputation among Kevin's fans for staying true and respectful of his legacy, Gruno. As a fan, I just want to say "thanks" for all of your efforts over the years.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

My fervent hope is a Toy Matinee concert DVD will be released. I have the live CD. I still kick myself for missing them in concert.

Thanks all! It's been a fun ride.

My fervent hope is a Toy Matinee concert DVD will be released. I have the live CD. I still kick myself for missing them in concert.
    I was lucky to catch a handful of shows in California. I don't know if there would be a dvd release of Toy Matinee.

Thanks Gruno. We look forward to more parts of Kevin's story.

More rare & never-before-seen video has been made available today: https://www.facebook.com/kevingilbertofficial

Thanks for helping to keep Kevin's legacy alive, Gruno! Cool news indeed!

Another big thank you from me, Gruno. There are soooo many people who can't get enough of Kevin's staggering talent, and you taking this time & effort doesn't go unappreciated on PE.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Being new here and a KG fan I very much appreciate your work. Magnificent job.
    It's a spoonerism

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Another big thank you from me, Gruno. There are soooo many people who can't get enough of Kevin's staggering talent, and you taking this time & effort doesn't go unappreciated on PE.
    To 'geezer, Smeenus, 3rdDegree, and all who have expressed their kind words -- thanks!

There's a lot more to come from my personal archives. Just this weekend I located a huge amount of Gilbert-related negatives and photos that I had misplaced some years ago. I've been scanning and organizing it all. I photographed some of the bigger items of memorabilia and will work on editing it all soon. If anyone does NOT have a FaceBook account, I suggest you sign up just to experience all the goodies that are there and that will be there very soon on Kevin's official FaceBook page. His site will be overhauled and will include a majority of this material, but FaceBook is instant. The website will take some time to reorganize and restructure.

Again, thanks!

Thanks for all the hard work Gruno. Been a Fan since 1991. This sounds great!

However, I do not and will not have a Facebook account. Hope you can get a website together soon. Looking forward to it.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Bittersweet watching this, for sure. I look forward to all the offerings coming on the FB page. Thanks again.

Bittersweet watching this, for sure.
    Of course. But it was enjoyable too. I particularly liked the snippets from "Thud" being performed live. Is there a full concert of that stuff in the vaults, Gruno? Hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I particularly liked the snippets from "Thud" being performed live. Is there a full concert of that stuff in the vaults, Gruno? Hope so!
    The CD/DVD combo-pack was released in 2009.

Here is the link to purchase:

http://popplusone.com/kgjoytown.html

Welcome to Joytown - Thud: Live at The Troubadour

Joy Town
    Goodness Gracious
    Shrug (Because Of You)
    Waiting
    Tea For One
    Miss Broadway
    The Tears Of Audrey
    When You Give Your Love To Me
    The Ballad Of Jenny Ledge
    Kashmir
    Smash
    Song For A Dead Friend (CD only)

Bonus Video Material
    Song For A Dead Friend - Kevin Solo - Live at Club Largo 1994
    This Warm Night Giraffe, Rare Footage
    Because Of You Giraffe, Rare Footage
    1995 Interview with Kevin at Lawnmower and Garden Supply Studio - 32 minutes

Just liked the new Facebook page! Thanks for everything you and the estate are doing with Kevin's legacy. We fans certainly appreciate it!

"Thud is the sound one's head makes as it hits the table."