Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Gilbert News: 2014

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Do you consider Kevin Gilbert's solo stuff at all prog?
    If you specifically mean obvious things like weird time sigs and complex arrangements, then... sometimes. "Shadow Self" is probably the only piece of Thud that qualifies. The rest is simply brilliant, eloquent, eclectic songwriting. Shaming is more up that alley with maybe a 50-50 balance of verse/chorus songs and weirder offbeat pieces (all with plenty of variety, arranged as a concept piece with recurring motifs and such).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ I guess what I'm wondering is do they have much in the way of instrumental numbers or instrumental sections. The camples seem to favor vocal parts.

I was just listening to the camples on the Kevin Gilbert site. Do you consider Kevin Gilbert's solo stuff at all prog? It's hard to tell from the camples - it sort of sounds as if Peter Gabriel was around for 80s Genesis.

So many people love Shaming of the True, but I can't tell if it's mainly pop or not. I did give some of it a listen years ago and it didn't grab me, but I really don't remember what it sounded like and didn't give it much of a chance.
    "Shadow Self" on THUD and the entirety of the posthumous release THE SHAMING OF THE TRUE are prog for sure. Some/most of his work in Giraffe was a mix of prog and 80's smart, sparkly pop. Because he did The Lamb live in '94, did amazing covers of "Back In NYC" and "Siberian Khatru" for Genesis and Rush tribute CDs, he is well known in the prog community and sort of skates on the edge of it. And lets not forget there was a very good chance he would have been the singer on Genesis' CALLING ALL STATIONS had he lived to audition for them.

I've tried getting lots of people into KG for 20 years now, some proggers, some not. He's one of my favorite artists of all time.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^^ Thanks, Robert. A very helpful opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    And lets not forget there was a very good chance he would have been the singer on Genesis' CALLING ALL STATIONS had he lived to audition for them.
    There was no audition scheduled.

Someone pointed this out on 1 of the KG groups on Facebook yesterday, and I'm pretty much in agreement, in the similarity of "Miss Broadway" to this Incubus song "Drive" is rather *uncanny*.

Perhaps the Incubus guys are fans?

I guess what I'm wondering is do they have much in the way of instrumental numbers or instrumental sections.
    Very rarely--the Giraffe albums had an extended intro or two but that's about it. You could call it more like 'prog rock without the solos' (to borrow Elbow's phrase). The songs' sophistication is really a subtle kind built into the arrangements & chord structures. The stretches without words are generally instrumental breathing space, if that makes sense, more than anything prominent.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Very rarely--the Giraffe albums had an extended intro or two but that's about it. You could call it more like 'prog rock without the solos' (to borrow Elbow's phrase). The songs' sophistication is really a subtle kind built into the arrangements & chord structures. The stretches without words are generally instrumental breathing space, if that makes sense, more than anything prominent.
    There are three instrumentals on the new THUD 3 CD set. They were specifically mixed as instrumentals by Kevin; not juts regular tracks with vocals muted.

it seems a lot of songs have little extended sections that are instrumental. I'm thinking of stuff like "Smash," but it's just not as extensive as other traditional progressive rock I suppose. I'm not sure Kevin ever meant to write songs with longer instrumental sections (in 1 interview I recall [paraphrasing] mentioning how NRG was "long winded pretentious progressive rock" or something close to that); although time may have proven otherwise.

NRG has some pretty nice Genesis-influences on almost half of the songs!

I was just listening to the camples on the Kevin Gilbert site. Do you consider Kevin Gilbert's solo stuff at all prog?
    I consider it to be pop/rock with prog elements. Gruno would obviously know better than I, but I think Kevin was a huge prog fan who was aware that prog wasn't considered so relevant anymore by the time he got himself out there. So you can hear where he came from, but his stuff isn't flat out prog per se. Some tunes might be considered as such though, like:

Shadow Self
    Suit Fugue (Dance of the A&R Men)
    A Long Day's Life
    Waiting
    Air Dance (Giraffe)

Then there's stuff that's not in odd meters and doesn't have long instrumental sections, but the chords and progression are far more sophisticated than 90% of most pop music. And the performances are always top notch, instrumentally and vocally.

1. Do you not think he would have been asked?
    2. and if he had been asked, do you think he'd have tried out?

I just posit above that had he tried, he would have nailed it-not that he had an audition actually scheduled although I've heard variations of the notion.

My understanding was that Tony & Mike were impressed with hearing Kevin and were planning to offer him an audition. I guess timing-wise it was a moot point whether it had been scheduled.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I consider it to be pop/rock with prog elements. ... there's stuff that's not in odd meters and doesn't have long instrumental sections, but the chords and progression are far more sophisticated than 90% of most pop music. And the performances are always top notch, instrumentally and vocally.
    Thanks. That's what I was trying to get at, but you put it much better.

Do you not think he would have been asked?
    I don't know how they went about auditioning singers.

if he had been asked, do you think he'd have tried out?
    Definitely.

Just saw that one of the local Philly mags has a look-back piece on a familiar album this week....

http://www.thatmusicmag.com/index.ph...-matinee-1990/

Nice!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Nice!
    It was, although Toy Matinee wasn't quite as obscure as the article suggests. I first heard "Last Plane Out" playing on the radio at some sort of boutique... and it was in Chicago, not L.A.. I caught the name of the band and went out and bought the album soon after. It was my introduction to Kevin Gilbert, but not to Patrick Leonard; I'd done a studio session with him when he lived in Chicago and heard this fusion band he was in called Software. I had no idea he was part of Toy Matinee until I got the album.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Toy Matinee wasn't quite as obscure as the article suggests. I first heard "Last Plane Out" playing on the radio at some sort of boutique... and it was in Chicago, not L.A.. I caught the name of the band and went out and bought the album soon after.
    I've never heard the singles myself (I discovered TM and Kevin through a personal recommendation), though they must have had some promotion if they both had videos made. That line about the net makes me wonder how different Kevin's recognition might have been if they'd had worldwide digital distribution back in that day.

I just noticed the 25-year release date anniversary of Toy Matinee, was on June 28th, the day after Chris Squire passed away.

Here's another "just noticed" for consideration.

The credits on the Kevin Gilbert's Giraffe "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" say "Recorded live at "Valley" Arts Center, Los Angeles. November 8, 1994. The venue is actually the "Variety" Arts Center...the home of PROGFest(s) 1994 and 1995. And the date is wrong too. The show was on Sunday, November 06, 1994.

The incorrect venue and date is also listed at Kevin's site. http://kevingilbert.com

Looks like I have a collector's item...with the typo. Sad too that there is no mention at all of PROGFest 1994 anywhere in the liner notes for this release.

Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    Here's another "just noticed" for consideration.

The credits on the Kevin Gilbert's Giraffe "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" say "Recorded live at "Valley" Arts Center, Los Angeles. November 8, 1994. The venue is actually the "Variety" Arts Center...the home of PROGFest(s) 1994 and 1995. And the date is wrong too. The show was on Sunday, November 06, 1994.

The incorrect venue and date is also listed at Kevin's site. http://kevingilbert.com

Looks like I have a collector's item...with the typo. Sad too that there is no mention at all of PROGFest 1994 anywhere in the liner notes for this release.
    Thanks for noticing! We decided to use Kevin's credits just as he had written them himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    We decided to use Kevin's credits just as he had written them himself.
    I forgot to add:

With the credits as such, the packaging was designed to resemble a vintage 70s bootleg LP with gatefold.

DSC01031.jpg

I was just visiting the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame last night and noticed Kevin's name included there in this pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    The CD/DVD combo-pack was released in 2009.

Here is the link to purchase:

http://popplusone.com/kgjoytown.html

Welcome to Joytown - Thud: Live at The Troubadour

Joy Town
    Goodness Gracious
    Shrug (Because Of You)
    Waiting
    Tea For One
    Miss Broadway
    The Tears Of Audrey
    When You Give Your Love To Me
    The Ballad Of Jenny Ledge
    Kashmir
    Smash
    Song For A Dead Friend (CD only)

Bonus Video Material
    Song For A Dead Friend - Kevin Solo - Live at Club Largo 1994
    This Warm Night Giraffe, Rare Footage
    Because Of You Giraffe, Rare Footage
    1995 Interview with Kevin at Lawnmower and Garden Supply Studio - 32 minutes
    This weekend I re-watched the DVD and I have a question about the song Waiting.

In the original version from Thud Kevin sings:
    "I'm waiting for the show to start, the one paid to see"

Live he sings:
    "Im waiting fot the show to start for the third matinee
    Gonna have to say"

Was this a kind of jeer toward Patrick Leonard, who started Third Matinee without Kevin after their Toy Matinee-album?