Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Gilbert News: 2014

passing the word along; I'll likely pickup a couple of copies..

Thanks!

Excellent! Thank you Gruno!

Can't believe there was even more in the vault. Very good to hear. The new one on the tease sounds great.

Kevin Gilbert – Toy Matinee Acoustic

Available mid-November 2014

Priced at $15, this 59 minute, 10-song CD contains:

Acoustic rehearsal recorded in 1990 with Kevin Gilbert, Marc Bonilla, and Spencer Campbell
    - Suite: Judy Blue Eyes
    - The Ballad Of Jenny Ledge
    - Last Plane Out
    - Rocket Man
    - Things She Said
    - If I Fell
    **includes between song banter

Acoustic Christmas Track performed by Kevin Gilbert & Marc Bonilla in 1990
    - O Come, O Come, Emmanuel

Bonus: Full-band live tracks recorded in Ventura, Ca. in 1991, with Kevin Gilbert, Marc Bonilla, Spencer Campbell, Sheryl Crow, and Toss Panos
    - Remember My Name
    - There Was A Little Boy
    - Turn It On Salvador

Additional details (sound samples, artwork, ordering information) will be announced throughout the month of October.

KevinGilbert.com
    FaceBook.com/kevingilbertofficial

^I'm all over this! Thanks a lot.

I think the price of the 3-CD set is an amazing good deal! If I had a turntable, I'd consider the LP package.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Kevin Gilbert – Toy Matinee Acoustic

Priced at $15, this 59 minute, 10-song CD contains:
    Wow! Definitely interested in this. I'd also be interested in the 3-CD set. Can they be pre-ordered together?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Wow! Definitely interested in this. I'd also be interested in the 3-CD set. Can they be pre-ordered together?
    No pre-orders. Once they are ready to go on sale, they will be ready to order and ship.

As for price packages, although it hasn't officially been announced, this disc and the next one can be purchased together for $25…

=======

Kevin Gilbert's GIRAFFE
    A 20th Anniversary Performance Of
    “The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway”

Audio CD: 75 minutes
    Price: $15

Recorded live at Valley Arts Center, Los Angeles • November 8, 1994.

Audio recorded and mixed by Kevin Gilbert.

The Band was:
    Kevin Gilbert: Vocals, Organ, 12 String on “The Musical Box”
    David Kerzner: Hammond Organ, RMI Electric Piano,
    Novatron, Yamaha CP-70B, ARP Pro-soloist
    Stan Cotey: Bass, Bass Pedals, 12 String Electrics
    Dan Hancock: Guitars
    Nick D’Virgilio: Drums, Backing Vocals

- The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
    - Fly On A Windshield
    - Broadway Melody Of 1974
    - In The Cage
    - The Grand Parade Of Lifeless Packaging
    - Back In N.Y.C.
    - The Carpet Crawlers
    - Lilywhite Lilith
    - The Lamia
    - The Colony Of Slippermen
    - In The Rapids
    - It/Watcher Of The Skies
    - The Musical Box

Additional details (sound samples, artwork, ordering information) will be announced throughout the month of October.

KevinGilbert.com
    Facebook.com/kevingilbertofficial

interesting question from another thread here at PE:

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Another question. The bonus tracks on this THUD release coming-was it obvious that these songs were actually "THUD outtakes" or songs "meant to be in the running order of THUD", or are they sort of THUD-era tracks that no one can be sure about?
    For THUD, I compiled all track sheets from the multi-tracks to gather any information on performers and date of recordings, as well as other tracks that were recorded and intended to be on this album. Some of the 1/4" tapes had notations from Kevin. Some of the DATs contained other notes. There were also journal entries and notebooks of Kevin's that listed possible songs to be used for THUD. The original working title for the album was Uncle, so there were a lot of references to Uncle tracks scattered throughout. The 32 page book will contain elements of what I just described; a small behind-the-scenes look at the making of THUD through images and documents. The enclosed packaging for THUD (and also Toy Matinee Acoustic) contains some of Kevin's actual written documents where it pertains to the album.

A bit more insight on the process:
    From 1990-1994, Kevin worked on the bulk of THUD. During that time, he was finishing up Toy Matinee touring/promotion, involved with Tuesday Music Club, recording TSOTT, scoring TV shows/film, producing/recording others, building his studio, and so on. Once Kevin was done with Toy Matinee touring/promotion, he already had a few (what were to be) THUD songs in demo form. The rest of the album was recorded between and during some of the sessions I described. I had to go through his collection and attempt to define each track's writer(s), date recorded/written, mix variations, etc. THUD tracks were slipped in and around other tracks, so it was interesting to piece together the timeline. We contacted some friends and former bandmates to fill in some of the gaps. All tracks contained are definitely tracks that Kevin considered to use for THUD.

THUD CD Preview #2

The announcement states, "remastered from the original analog tapes". Maybe he missed that part. Any other details will be released soon.
    It says "remastered for vinyl." Will that remastering also be on this new CD?

The mastering/remastering for the 3-CD set was done by John Cuniberti. The mastering for the LP was done by a trusted engineer who specifically masters for vinyl. Cuniberti oversaw the process. There is no separate CD with the LP transfer on it.

The mastering/remastering for the 3-CD set was done by John Cuniberti. The mastering for the LP was done by a trusted engineer who specifically masters for vinyl. Cuniberti oversaw the process. There is no separate CD with the LP transfer on it.
    Ah, ok. I was just looking at the promo image at the top of this page and noticed it mentioned remastering for vinyl only. Clicking back to page 2, I see the previous banner implies it for both.

Not that I wouldn't buy the CD in any case, no matter what--the rest of the music is worth putting up with a hardback-book package for, and the original album sounded great anyway.

(Edit. Errrr. Just saw that last sentence again and realized it may seem a bit snarkier than intended. I just meant that I'm often put off by deluxe fancy packages. Like everyone else I greatly appreciate the tremendous effort and affection that goes into taking care of Kevin's estate & music, and didn't mean to seem dismissive of the book and all the work behind it. Not in the least.)
    Last edited by Spiral; 10-08-2014 at 10:35 PM.

Toy Matinee Acoustic CD Preview #2

Nice to read those reviews. Glad I got the version with the Kashmir-single.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    (Edit. Errrr. Just saw that last sentence again and realized it may seem a bit snarkier than intended. I just meant that I'm often put off by deluxe fancy packages. Like everyone else I greatly appreciate the tremendous effort and affection that goes into taking care of Kevin's estate & music, and didn't mean to seem dismissive of the book and all the work behind it. Not in the least.)
    No worries; I didn't think your post came off as being snarky.

I feel the same way about deluxe packages. For most music I enjoy I am into deluxe packages that are about the music. As I stated earlier in this thread, the book will take you behind-the-scenes a bit. The pricing was kept as low as possible. I think that when you have the items in hand and compare them to many other reissues, you will realize what a bargain this truly is. And for the record: I purchase every Kevin Gilbert title that gets released. Sometimes multiples.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Nice to read those reviews. Glad I got the version with the Kashmir-single.
    I urge everyone to go to the Official Kevin Gilbert FaceBook page as we are uploading a lot of content leading up to release day. I have added more reviews as well as never-before seen promotional & live photos, concert posters & advertisements, and Kevin-penned set lists. I will also be uploading more content from the Toy Matinee and Giraffe eras… plus a few surprises along the way.

Much more to follow daily...

From the KG/Lamb thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Innerviews View Post
    A friend of mine that was a friend of Kevin's said there were three completed versions of Thud. Her story was he had these three versions mastered and after that process he would have second thoughts and go back and tweak. Is this true, Gruno? If so, what were the differences?
    Pretty much. There are at least six different fully mastered versions of THUD; each from different mastering facilities/engineers. Kevin told me that he would finish THUD, have it mastered, then listen back and change levels, +/- instruments, vocals, etc. Then have it mastered again, and so on. The record label who put it out (PRA Records) even had it mastered on their own a couple of times. Kevin would also rearrange the track order on each one in hopes of securing a good flow for the album. He would also write notes on some of the CD inserts. Notes like: "Joytown really dead - go back to 1/2" -- "Replace 'Goodness' intro with Starcastle mix". The 3 additional studio tracks were added to this deluxe release because they were, at one point, included in different versions of THUD, but ultimately left off of the final release.

As for the differences… some are subtle changes and some are drastic. In working on this deluxe edition of THUD, the most time consuming task was finding a different version of a song on one of these mastered discs, then attempting to trace it back to it's original 1/4" tape which contained Kevin's mix. Our success rate for the 1/4" mixes was very high, but it took months to complete. All of the additional tracks I chose are noticeably different from the original. Since songs like "Shadow Self" (aka "Late For Dinner") and "Joytown" have about 10 or more versions of each, I chose the best versions that fit this compilation.

Also, use a good set of headphones while spinning these CDs for an even better experience.

From the KG/Lamb thread:

Pretty much. There are at least six different fully mastered versions of THUD; each from different mastering facilities/engineers. Kevin told me that he would finish THUD, have it mastered, then listen back and change levels, +/- instruments, vocals, etc. Then have it mastered again, and so on. The record label who put it out (PRA Records) even had it mastered on their own a couple of times. Kevin would also rearrange the track order on each one in hopes of securing a good flow for the album. He would also write notes on some of the CD inserts. Notes like: "Joytown really dead - go back to 1/2" -- "Replace 'Goodness' intro with Starcastle mix". The 3 additional studio tracks were added to this deluxe release because they were, at one point, included in different versions of THUD, but ultimately left off of the final release.

As for the differences… some are subtle changes and some are drastic. In working on this deluxe edition of THUD, the most time consuming task was finding a different version of a song on one of these mastered discs, then attempting to trace it back to it's original 1/4" tape which contained Kevin's mix. Our success rate for the 1/4" mixes was very high, but it took months to complete. All of the additional tracks I chose are noticeably different from the original. Since songs like "Shadow Self" (aka "Late For Dinner") and "Joytown" have about 10 or more versions of each, I chose the best versions that fit this compilation.
    Interesting stuff, Gruno! It sounds like Kevin had a bit of that Steely Dan obsessive perfectionism. A couple of years ago, somebody here sent me an alternate version of "Tea For One" that had a bridge that was removed from the Thud version we all know and love. It was interesting, but I think he made the right decision to change it... or maybe it's just that I've become too intimately familiar with the version I know, which I think is a fantastic tune! Likewise with that heavier version of "Waiting" that you posted here. It's really interesting, but I'm so accustomed to the version on Thud that I think is perfect.

Anyway, sounds like you put a lot of work into these upcoming releases and I'm sure I can speak for the rest of the fans when I say we appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    which I think is a fantastic tune!
    Ok, I'll just say it, Thud is my favorite KG recording, probably because it was my first. Thanks to Gruno for expanding our behind the scenes awareness!

Any Kevin Gilbert vinyl available?
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

THUD 20th Anniversary 3 CD Set Preview #3

bump.

this was just posted from I recall a tribute show recently in Germany? the Video sync/montage enhances it pretty well.