Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Gilbert News: 2014

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Yeah...I'll get that.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

curious about the *new* tracks especially. I'm seeing The Monkees tonight and if i get a chance to chat with noted KG fan Christian Nesmith, I may have to bring this news up.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    curious about the *new* tracks especially.
    Some might be able to guess one of them, but I doubt many (if any) could come up with the other two.

We've kept a very tight lid on this project since it was green-lighted eight months ago. There are only a couple of people who knew we were doing this Deluxe Edition. I was pleasantly delighted to uncover one of the tracks by mistake as I was pouring through Kevin's material.

Track listing and order details will go public once other things are set in place.

It's going to be a great official release.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Some might be able to guess one of them, but I doubt many (if any) could come up with the other two.

We've kept a very tight lid on this project since it was green-lighted eight months ago. There are only a couple of people who knew we were doing this Deluxe Edition. I was pleasantly delighted to uncover one of the tracks by mistake as I was pouring through Kevin's material.

Track listing and order details will go public once other things are set in place.

It's going to be a great official release.
    I'm in on this too!

Wunderbar! Probably my favorite KG album. Can you say anything about the mastering?

Great! I'm looking forwards to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    Can you say anything about the mastering?
    What, exactly, would you like him to say?

I'm sure it's going to be mastered.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Wunderbar! Probably my favorite KG album. Can you say anything about the mastering?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

I'm sure it's going to be mastered.
    The announcement states, "remastered from the original analog tapes". Maybe he missed that part. Any other details will be released soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Who and where. But it's probably hush hush and I really shouldn't have asked. Don't want to give away state secrets! I'm glad it is from the original tapes. That's all I really need to know.

Who and where. But it's probably hush hush and I really shouldn't have asked. Don't want to give away state secrets! I'm glad it is from the original tapes. That's all I really need to know.
    It's really no secret that John Cuniberti handles all of the Kevin Gilbert mastering since 1997.

He is great with detail and often transcribes his process after the project is released.

You can get an idea of the mastering process from this, as thud is pretty much laid out the same way:

http://www.kevingilbert.com/cunibert...g_giraffe.html

Kevin’s Mixing and Editing:
    Kevin didn’t have any recording console automation to help him do complicated mixes. He had to mix his songs to the stereo two track recorder in sections and then edit the parts together. As an example: Kevin would work perfecting the mix on the intro of a song -- moving faders, flipping mutes on and off, adjusting effects and sometimes panning. Once he learned what he needed to do he would record the intro mix onto the two track recorder overlapping a few seconds into the first verse on the song. Kevin would then work on mixing the first verse and print it to the two track recorder, making sure to start before the verse and continuing into the next section of the song or the chorus. Then he would mark the tape with a grease pencil on the downbeat of the verse at both the end of the intro and the beginning of the verse section. He would then use a razor blade to cut on those marks and then apply splicing tape to connect the two pieces together. This process would continue through the entire song. In some cases 20 or more edits were made. This is how all records were made before there was console automation. I used the same method on Joe Satrian’s “Surfing with the Alien.” It is a painstaking process and if the artist decides, three days later, that the mix needs more bass, then the engineer gets to do this process all over again, time permitting.

The Tapes:
    Both records were mixed to 1/4” analog tape by Kevin. “The Power of Suggestion” at 15ips and “The View From Here” at 30ips. The 25 year old tapes were not playable without being heat treated. Heat treating (baking) is done in a convection oven at 125º for 8 hours for 1/4” tape on 10” reels. In this case, I use a scientific oven at Fantasy Studios in Berkeley that has precise temperature control. The process rebinds the tape’s delicate magnetic surface to the tape’s backing, which, over time, separates due to moisture infiltrating the two layers. This is a common process for certain analog tape formulas produced in the 70’s and 80‘s, mostly Ampex 456. Without heat treating, the tape would shed its magnetic coating during playback thus destroying the recording forever.

The Transfer:
    Although the tape was heat treated, most of the edit splices were coming apart during the initial playback. This required me to gently pull off the old splicing tape and reattach the two ends of the tape with new splicing tape. Each song was edited in sequence on two reels as side A and B. Once I had the edits secured I transferred each reel in one pass from my Ampex ATR-102 two track recorder to ProTools via Prism 2 A/D converters at 96k / 24 bits.

The Mastering:
    It was no surprise that the analog tapes were far superior in sound quality than the original CDs. If fact, they sounded like they were recorded yesterday. Kevin was a very good mixer and the mastering was a straight forward process. I used very little EQ and only a slight amount of limiting to balance the songs’ overall presentation. In the early 80’s, digital conversion from analog was still in development. Most engineers would agree it didn’t really start to sound as good as the source material until twenty years later. Since then it’s been refined to the point that it’s impossible to hear the difference between the analog tape and its digital clone, especially at the sample rate of 96k. For the first time you will hear what Kevin heard in the studio when he and the members of Giraffe made these two amazing albums.

Thanks Gruno... painstaking work... it definitely sounds like the recordings are in good hands. I was curious as I seemed to remember when The Shaming was reissued (I have the original hardback book) that it was said there really wasn't that much notable difference in the remastering. I can't really comment as after reading that I didn't feel compelled to buy the new version. This new edition of Thud is definitely worth having just for the bonus tracks though!

This is awesome. Recently I was turned on to Kevin's stuff. To know there is more stuff coming, and his legacy is in the hands of people who really take care of it is rare, and amazing!

THIS IS A QUESTION ABOUT VINYL FOR ALL FANS OF KEVIN GILBERT.

As some of you may already know, this fall, The Estate of Kevin Gilbert is releasing a limited, 34 track, 3 CD, 20th anniversary, deluxe edition, of Kevin’s solo album Thud.

We are wondering if there is enough interest to have 500 of the sets include a 2 disc, 180 gram, audiophile vinyl version of the original CD. This will be mastered from the original analogue tapes.

We hope to have the 3 CD set, which includes a 32 page, full color, hard bound book, sell for $30. The version including the vinyl will cost an extra $30, totaling $60. The CD set will be available separately for $30 but vinyl will ONLY be available as part of the entire $60 set.

Please respond here under this post (or on FaceBook) and let us know if you would buy the edition including vinyl. We will only press vinyl if we get enough positive responses.

Best regards, Jon Rubin
    Executor for the Estate of Kevin Gilbert

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I'm in for sure.
    Chad

I am definitely in for the CD package, but am unlikely to go for the vinyl release.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

CAN'T FREAKIN' WAIT!!!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Thanks for the responses thus far about the vinyl option. Please feel free to copy/paste the image and text elsewhere or 'share' on FaceBook. I am keeping track of the numbers. I am hopeful that 'thud' will be able to get a vinyl release.

just sent it along to 2 other KG-based email lists (besides Lawnmower and Garden Supplies).

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    just sent it along to 2 other KG-based email lists (besides Lawnmower and Garden Supplies).
    Thanks! Can you message me via this thread (or PM) with tallies once some have chimed in? I am not on those email lists. Thanks!

a German tribute to Shaming is coming. November 9th, 2014.

https://www.facebook.com/shaminglive?fref=photo

These cats are doing a good job of the work.

Kevin Gilbert: THUD 20th Anniversary 3-CD Set+180 gram Vinyl

http://kevingilbert.com

The Estate of Kevin Gilbert is releasing Kevin’s solo album THUD in a limited, 3 CD,
    34 track, 20th anniversary deluxe edition. It will go on sale in mid-November.
    The package will include 3 new studio tracks, 18 previously unreleased demos/alternate
    takes and will come in a beautiful 32 page hard bound book. This 3 CD set will be priced at $35.

Also, for the first time ever, THUD will be available as an audiophile 180 gram, 2 LP set.
    Remastered specifically for vinyl from the original analog tapes, this gatefold package will be
    limited to 500 units. THUD 2 LP & 3 CD set package will be priced at $70.
    The LP set will not be sold separately.

Track listing, artwork, ordering details, and much more will be announced throughout the month of October.

Visit Kevin Gilbert’s Official Facebook page for news and updates, including audio samples
    from THUD. Kevin Gilbert audio/video is available for purchase at PopPlusOne.com.