Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Keneally, Bendian & Lunn

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I unfortunately had to miss last Saturday's show in Chicago because I was working. On the fortunate side, I've seen Mike live three times. My favorite concert was the "Dancing" tour with the expanded (was it 8 piece?) band, but all of them were great! See him if you possibly can!
    7 piece band. Chris Opperman wasn't on that tour, and Nick "the thinking man's Mike Portnoy" D'Virgilio replaced Jason Harrison Smith on drums.

Here's the opening medley of the Chicago show. Mike blows it out of the water immediately by playing guitar and keys simultaneously right from the start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiCbbgTKWj4

The keys and guitar simultaneous playing is crazy. We saw him in Cincy a few years back, and I am still picking my jaw off the floor from Inca Roads! Can't wait for the Orion show!

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Not to change the subject too much but...

Anyone know of any plans to document this lineup with either a studio or live CD?
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

^^
    Couldn't hurt for me to have a word with Mr. Potter about recording tonight's gig at Orion.

Thanks to all on this thread for being interested in this tour. We're having a great time out here! Musically it's a blast and we're meeting a lot of wonderful folks - what more does an avant prog pop musician need?

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    Musically it's a blast and we're meeting a lot of wonderful folks - what more does an avant prog pop musician need?
    An endless supply of hookers and blow?

Looking forward to the show tonight, sir

For those who might not have seen the other thread...the show starts at 9 tonight instead of 8.

Bring on the Beltway Wars.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

A great new series on the recording of Mike's new album -

Philadelphia show tonight! Anybody else here going?

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    ^^
    Couldn't hurt for me to have a word with Mr. Potter about recording tonight's gig at Orion.

?
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Any other reviews to share? You all have been pretty quiet. I guess it's tough to think once your face is melted?

The Orion show was terrific; I can't cough up a specific setlist but everything was just swanky. All three were playing hard and well and absolutely tore it up. Mike was quite personable with the crowd too (not exactly a shock), lots of smiles and handshakes and the like. It was a very fun evening.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Personally, I find it very hard to write about gigs with more than a "it was cool/rocked/sucked" commentary, as so much of a gig experience is from being there.

I will echo other comments that the gig I attended, in NYC, was really fantastic, lots of good Keneally songs, and two selections each from Bendian and Lunn. The show left me wanting more, which is also a good sign...

Mike as always is a pleasure to see perform, the talent of the guy is outstanding. I'd be curious of Mike ever thought about having an improv section of the night, where the musicians just start playing, and see what develops, as Crimson did back in the 70s. A line up like this trio could produce some interesting tangents, I would think.

If the show is coming to your town, why haven't you got tickets yet?

Mike

Anyone from the Mike Keneally newsgroup will recognize this username. I do see Brian Bernardini and of course Mikey, hey guys
    It's a spoonerism

"If the show is coming to your town, why haven't you got tickets yet?"

I wish it was.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Will see them in Cambridge tonight
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Smeenus! Welcome to PE buddy!

Zorknapp (hey Mike!), we did free improv at the SoCal gigs but for this tour we had so much prepped material we wanted to play that we didn't leave room for any improv to start from scratch - there's still at least 4 tunes in the set which have totally free sections though, so it feels like we're leaving a pretty wide landing strip for the muse to arrive

Smeenus! Welcome to PE buddy!

Zorknapp (hey Mike!), we did free improv at the SoCal gigs but for this tour we had so much prepped material we wanted to play that we didn't leave room for any improv to start from scratch - there's still at least 4 tunes in the set which have totally free sections though, so it feels like we're leaving a pretty wide landing strip for the muse to arrive
    Very true! I should have noted that in my comment that there were extended parts of the existing arrangements of the songs... Good times!

Would you ever consider doing an all improv show?

Great to see you the other night, best of luck for the rest of the tour!

Mike

Watching "Bakin @ the Potato" today in preparation for the Charleston gig on the 30th. "Kedgeree" is just killer on that show.

Was at the Philly show. Another great Keneally gig. My wife even enjoyed it a little bit and commented many times about how nice and down to earth Mike was.

chalkpie
    Mike - I have to apologize for not seeing you in NYC - my wife and kids had (have) lice. Oh, it was fun. Captain Cabesa (Big Bill from Frogg) saw you in LI and texted me during the show and said "BEST GUITARIST EVER!!!!" True story.

Totally OT to the current tour but I'm sure Mikey remembers this glorious night in June of 2006 (yours truly behind the camera)

It's a spoonerism

Was at the Long Island show on Sunday night. Mike - YOU WERE SMOKIN! Damn, but I have no clue how you can double those complex runs on guitar and keyboard at the same time. You must be able to split your brain in half, or something. Very enjoyable show in a nice small venue.

The opening act was Rob Balducci - very Steve Vai-like guitarist, but worth checking out if you like that style.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I have no clue how you can double those complex runs on guitar and keyboard at the same time. You must be able to split your brain in half, or something.
    Or perhaps he is the man with two brains

I saw the show in Charlestown. Just great! Much more hard rocking than the NF show and that fit the vibe of a tiny bar perfectly. As always, he just killed it on guitar and piano. A personal highlight was "I'm Raining Here Inside" with an extended piano solo and lots of switching between guitar and piano seamlessly. The band were great, too, very tight sounding and the pieces penned by the other members were phenomenal (one featured "organ" and featured Mike doing his best Keith Emerson). Overall, the show was a really nice blend of hard rockers, fusion workouts (ala Morglbl and Aristocrats), and more singer / songwriter moments. And did I mention that the band killed it?

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    A personal highlight was "I'm Raining Here Inside" with an extended piano solo and lots of switching between guitar and piano seamlessly.
    Am I correct that this is a piece from the wonderful collaboration with Andy Partridge? Love me my "Wing Beat Fantastic".