Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Songs you thought were by other artists

There was a "band" of studio musicians backing P.F. Sloan called The Grass Roots, and they specialized in sounding like other bands.

Sounds like Blood Sweat & Tears:

Sounds like The Moody Blues:

Sounds like Poco:

They also have songs that sound like The Byrds, The Association, and several other period bands.

always thought the Bee Gees "In my own time" was the Beatles

WeatherWiseCDC
    When I first heard this, I thought Mick Jagger sang vocals on it.

Then I realized this guy sounds too good to be Mick.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I used to confuse Jerry Rafferty with Billy Joel and Steve Miller when I was a kid. I thought Joel did Baker Street and Miller did Right On Down The Line.

The first time I heard "When the World is Running Down" by The Police I thought the voice sounded like Donald Fagen. I liked the song so much I went out and bought Gaucho, thinking that song would be on it. It turned out not to be one of the better Steely Dan albums.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The one time I heard Marillion's He Knows You Know on the radio (1983 I think) I thought it was a new Peter Gabriel single.

First time I heard this, I thought it was the drummer/singer guy from Genesis who just released his first solo album:

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    always thought the Bee Gees "In my own time" was the Beatles
    and this from '65:

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

[QUOTE=mogrooves;263681]and this from '65:

Same here. Until I saw them on the Lloyd Thaxton show sometime that year.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Lloyd Thaxton
    "It's lip-sync time!"
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

right up until yesterday afternoon, I thought Rush did this, or at least that Geddy sang it.

you're kidding, right??

Sounds nothing like Geddy

Worse lip-synch ever (I'd never seen the video, though I really like the album)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Coming from a radio speaker in the print shop at work, it sure sounds like Geddy to me. probably because there's machine noise and songs play a little faster than normal on radio. just enough to turn Linda Perry into Geddy Lee.

Gwen Stefani sounds like Geddy Lee....srsly: put on any Gwen Stefani song and close your eyes -- its like a magic trick but be careful: you really do not want mental visions of a shirtless Geddy with a navel ring

Claudio Sanchez of Coheed & Cambria gets Geddy Lee-ish at times ( actually, he is a better vocalist IMHO -- he's what Geddy should sound like )

"studio musicians backing P.F. Sloan called The Grass Roots"

The Grass Roots was a band that had a string of hits under the production of Steve Barri with many songs written by Sloan. I would see them on LA TV a lot. Portraying them as some prefab band that imitated others is naïve. They were no more 'prefab' than many pop hit makers. I love the Box Tops but they became popular under a production/songwriter mentorship much like the GR. Their LP's were recorded fast and were mere vehicles for the singles. Need I mention the Monkees?

P.F. Sloan was a staff writer who had ambitions to a solo career before and after he wrote big hits for Johnny Rivers, The Turtles and Barry McGuire. Unfortunately, Dunhill didn't want him writing for himself and wouldn't promote him. He got out of his solo contract only to lose his royalties. As a solo artist he never became more than a Bob Dylan wannabee and didn't make hits on his own.

I don't like Billy Joel but I can honestly say several of his early songs sounded like others such as Harry Chapin, Elton John and Paul McCartney. To me, that spells 'hack'. But he coulda fooled me at times (that's not just me being sarcastic).

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    but be careful: you really do not want mental visions of a shirtless Geddy with a navel ring...)
    That's true. plus Geddy's not a lesbian and not married to Sarah Gilbert.

I thought the New Radicals were someone else but I am too senile to remember who!

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    That's true. plus Geddy's not a lesbian and not married to Sarah Gilbert.
    Gwen Stefani is married to Sarah Gilbert? Are there movies?

Believe it or not, Ray Charles earliest recordings were nothing more than impersonations of Nat King Cole, both his vocal and piano style.

Chubby Checker (a take-off on the name 'Fats Domino') was a Hank Ballard imitator who covered Ballard's "the Twist" and sold millions of copies.

Ya know there was one song I kept hearing on the radio I thought for sure was REO Speedwagon. I could swear the singer sounded like Kevin Cronin. I even asked about it on old PE, but could never come up with the right answer. Eventually, I heard the song on the radio again, and this time I wrote down some of the lyrics, and Googled them. Turns out this is what I had heard: