Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Songs you thought were by other artists

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Class & Quality? View Post
    'Off He Goes' by Pearl Jam. I could have sworn this was Bruce Springsteen.
    How about

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

I remember hearing this on the radio and for the first 3 minutes or so thinking it was a live Clapton track.

Friend of mine looked all over Jimi Hendrix's catalog looking for this song. It sounds nothing like Procol Harum. Of course later Trower would mine this vein extensively.

Regarding the first two videos on the first page:

I never knew the name of the band who did that song but yeah I remember that song. I haven't heard it in a pretty long time though. Cool to hear it again though.

The Prism sounds a little bit like Ambrosia(especially the singing) to me but the chorus vocals and synth do indeed sound like Styx.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Friend of mine looked all over Jimi Hendrix's catalog looking for this song. It sounds nothing like Procol Harum. Of course later Trower would mine this vein extensively.

Yup, it sounds like it belongs on Electric Ladylland
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I remember hearing You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet on the radio, and thinking it was Tom Petty. The weird thing is, my oldest brother had The Best Of BTO (So Far) when I was little, so I should have known that it wasn't Petty, but somehow I had forgotten that song somehow.

For a long time, I thought Just A Job To Do was a Phil Collins solo track. I didn't realize until years later it was a Genesis song!

When I first heard Day After Day by Badfinger, I thought it was Clapton.
    I thought "What Is Life" (by George Harrison) was by Badfinger!

First few times I heard "Alone Again Or" by Love I was convinced it was a Moody Blues number. I scoured all my MB albums and couldn't find it. Drove me crazy. Now I'm a big fan of Arthur Lee, Bryan MacLean (who wrote that number), and Love.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Suspended
    When I first heard Pearl Jam do Last Kiss, I was sure it was Tom Waits. Never even bothered to check. Only discovered the truth some months later.

Also, never having heard of Soul Asylum, when i first heard Runaway Train I assumed it was Tom Petty, with or without The Heartbreakers.

Icehouse's "Hey Little Girl" sounds so much like a Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music song that I still get caught out when I hear it.
    First time I heard Amy Winehouse's "Back to Black" I thought it was Shirley Bassey.

When I first heard "Trick of the Tail" I could've SWORN it was by Genesis.

Not true. The story McGuinn tells is that his manager played him an acetate of American Girl, before the first Tom Petty album even came out. He said his reaction was "Gee, I don't remember recording that". He then said he knew it wasn't The Byrds, but he could hear the influence. And he was impressed enough with the song that he summoned Petty to his solo band rehearsals for purposes of teaching them how to play it.
    picky about the details, are we? my post got the gist of it, but yours is a much more interesting story. thanks for sharing.

Also thought Love Is Alive was by Traffic or Steve Winwood.

I originally thought "Crazy On You" was by Jefferson Starship. Ann Wilson and Grace Slick do sound similar.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I remember hearing You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet on the radio, and thinking it was Tom Petty.

How can this be, Chris?

You Ain't Sen Nothing Yet was released in 1974, and TP & The H's 1st s/t album was released in 1976.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    When I first heard "Trick of the Tail" I could've SWORN it was by Genesis.
    I've never heard 'Trick of the Tail." could you hum some of it? does it come in doo-wop?

For some strange reason I remember thinking "I'm your captain/closer to home" was by Chicago. There aren't even any horns in it.

I remember being very confused when I found out that "Eve of Detruction" was not Bob Dylan but actually somebody named Barry McGuire.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    I remember being very confused when I found out that "Eve of Detruction" was not Bob Dylan but actually somebody named Barry McGuire.
    A friend of mine in HS had been telling me about Bob Dylan and his lyrics. After I heard the song Piano Man on radio, I told this friend about some of the lyrics in that song. based on what he had told me, I thought that was Dylan, until he lent me Bob's Greatest Hits Vol 2. I've been a fan since I heard that.

I'll have to chime in that I also thought 'Runaway Train" was Tom Petty & the HBs until informed otherwise.

When I was young, I used to think 'Black Magic Woman' was Santana's original tune)

I thought for years that i Love You by Climax Blues Band was Paul McCartney

And of course everyone thought Going Up The Country was The Muppets.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    There are still people that think "Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress" is C.C.R.
    By gut reaction, I am one of them--thought it was so until about a decade ago. Strangely, then thought it was America for many years. Even a few seconds ago, I had to look it up and see who it really was. Powerful mental block there.

Long thought "Last Chance" was by Kansas:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5BqpvcWuyo

I thought the big 90s hit "You Get What You Give" was World Party not The New Radicals.

I originally thought this was 10CC.

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    I use to think this was ELO for the longest time:

And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

For many years I thought this was Steve Winwood:

Could be that it's Charlie Sheen in an earlier incarnation.

^^^more like toto, really
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.