Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: ALLAN HOLDSWORTH NEWS (!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    One of my favorite songs and guitar solos of "all-time" is Nostalgic Lady.
    Same here.
    Beautiful solo. I love late 70s holdsy.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Saw the concert at Yoshi's in San Francisco last night. As a huge fan of Allan for 30 years, this is the first time I've ever seen him live. It was fantastic and Allan was in great form.

He did A LOT from Tony Williams' "Believe It". Here's some tunes that he did (this is not in the right order nor is it a full setlist from last night)
    Fred
    Mr. Spock
    Proto-Cosmos
    Red Alert
    Letters of Marque
    Devil Take The Hindmost
    Water On The Brain
    Texas
    Last edited by Genital Giant; 09-03-2014 at 12:01 PM.

That setlist reads like Holdsy's greatest hits!

Pretty much the same setlist he's had for at least 10 years now.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Genital Giant View Post
    Saw the concert at Yoshi's in San Francisco last night. As a huge fan of Allan for 30 years, this is the first time I've ever seen him live. It was fantastic and Allan was in great form.

He did A LOT from Tony Williams' "Believe It". Here's some tunes that he did (this is not in the right order nor is it a full setlist from last night)
    Fred
    Mr. Spock
    Proto-Cosmos
    Red Alert
    Letters of Marque
    Devil Take The Hindmost
    Water On The Brain
    Texas
    I think even I could stay awake for that set.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I saw him last Saturday in Modesto. I was stunned & amazed. The band were so on.
    I saw this same line up at the Whittier show two years ago when they first began touring & I was underwhelmed by their concert.
    What they were putting down two years later was mind blowing. I brought a few friends, third row center stage! These guys are playing with a high level of invention & melody. Sublime.

Looking forward to tonight in Oakland!

I've seen Allan at least 8 times....I've lost count, truthfully. First time was after Atavachron was released. He's in my top three-to-five favorite musicians ever. Will I see any of you there?

Allan will be part of a Meet and Greet on September 13th in New York.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Allan will be part of a Meet and Greet on September 13th in New York.
    $88?
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

There's Meet and Greets out here in the Bay Area too, ....for extra charge. The days of having a beer with him at the bar are over, I suppose.....

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    The days of having a beer with him at the bar are over, I suppose.....
    He was at the bar after the last show I attended in 2010. But not too many folks attempted to strike up a conversation
    since he cut the set short due to a loud mouthed patron who disrupted one of his beautiful volume swelled chordal
    melodies.

Looking forward to tonight in Oakland!

I've seen Allan at least 8 times....I've lost count, truthfully. First time was after Atavachron was released. He's in my top three-to-five favorite musicians ever. Will I see any of you there?
    I will be there again tonight. If you see a guy with a massive bulge in his pants, you know it's Genital Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by Genital Giant View Post
    If you see a guy with a massive bulge in his pants, you know it's Genital Giant.
    Quote of the century!
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    Quote of the century!

Butt seriously, I thought last night at Yoshi's Oakland was a little better gig than the first night at Yoshi's SF. Allan was playing a little more outside and with a real edge. I could tell he was more into the gig too, he had a lot of smiles on his face like "wow, this is good". You could even tell he was happy with his own performance, which is a rarity for him.

Same setlist as before, but oh, the tune I didn't mention that is part of it is "Leave Them On".

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Looking forward to the show here in town at the Iron Horse on 9/17/14. Have never failed to meet up with Allan either at the bar or while on line. Couple of years back he "gifted" those of us in the front of the line with copies of the "Road Games" EP! I have also lost count of the now apparently innumerable times I have seen Allan here in Northampton. Besides the many Iron Horse shows, he'd played at Pearl St. and the Center for the Arts here in town. Welcome back Allan!

Last night was great, in my opinion. He's taking chances, and obviously having fun. His tone is a bit more edgy than recent stuff, to my ears--though still 100% recognizable Holdsworth Brown Sound, heh heh. Mr. Giant Bulge, did you catch Allan's "roadie" moment with the cymbal mic? That cracked me up, and it's totally in character for him--oh! look, the mic fell, I'll wait and see if someone fixes it...nope! Better go do it meself, then... Lol. How About "Play Devil Take the Hindmost!"--from some inebriate, and AH's response--"we played that already....you must be enjoying one of those Fiiiine IPA's they have out there, but don't worry it's all good!" Too funny.

Dug the keyboardist, never heard him before....did you catch his name? Beez, or something?

Never saw Virgil before....he slays, doesn't he?

I've seen Allan at least 8 times....I've lost count, truthfully
    Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    I have also lost count of the now apparently innumerable times I have seen Allan here in Northampton.
    I too have lost count of how many times I've seen him; I think it's about 7 or 8...

Dug the keyboardist, never heard him before... Never saw Virgil before....he slays, doesn't he?
    Keyboardist? That's encouraging; I definitely prefer hearing him with keyboards.

Last time I heard him, Virgil was playing. He's certainly a great drummer; I've heard him live with Planet X and I have a live video of him playing with Steve Vai's band and he slayed in those situations, but... I just didn't think he was a good fit for Holdsy. I think of him as a highly evolved rock drummer and he hits those drums really hard. I love that in the right context, but I think Allan's music requires a little more sensitivity. Of course, it was almost a year ago; maybe he's adapted more. Still, I think Chad Wackerman is the best fit for AH, though I'd love to hear him live with Vinnie C.

Virgil does, indeed, hit hard.

I love Gary Husband with AH, personally....I know quite a few don't. And I dig Chad, too...they all bring something different. But for me, Gary is the man. I'm a huge fan of Haslip's too, but there's something about Flim Johnson on bass....maybe it's because that was my initiation into AH's music.

Virgil does, indeed, hit hard.

I love Gary Husband with AH, personally....I know quite a few don't.
    The one time I saw Gary with him, he was kind of overpowering the whole thing and it was distracting... but he sounds great on Holdsworth's live album, "Then!"... and he usually sounds great, so maybe he was just in a mood that night.

Haslip is great, but I'd rather hear him with Yellowjackets and Jimmy Johnson with Holdsworth. Of course, that's nitpicking; they're all great players.

My fab 4 would be
    AH
    Husband
    Johnson
    Pasqua

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    My fab 4 would be
    AH
    Husband
    Johnson
    Pasqua
    Mine's pretty close; I'd replace Husband with Wackerman, but there's not a wide margin there in terms of quality. Alan Pasqua is very underrated it seems. His playing on the Holdsworth/Pasqua Band DVD and double album, "Blues For Tony" is stunningly brilliant!

...not to mention the stuff he did on those original TW Lifetime albums!

My fab 4 : Holdsy, Berlin, Stewart, Bruford

...not to mention the stuff he did on those original TW Lifetime albums!
    Funny, to me, Pasqua seemed intimidated by being in that band at the time, especially when listening to how "balls out" aggressive he sounds on the aforementioned Holdsworth/Pasqua stuff. He didn't sound bad with Tony, just kind of understated and overwhelmed. To me, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Shocking!

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Amen! (Although I also liked the way Eddie Jobson sounded together with Allan. He often told his sound of the keyboards was partly influenced by Allan's sound.)