Thread: Mike Keneally - Gregg Bendian - Doug Lunn trio at Orion - Thursday May 22nd

Mike Keneally - Gregg Bendian - Doug Lunn trio at Orion - Thursday May 22nd

8:00pm Thursday Night, May 22nd
    The Orion LiveMusic Showcases
    present:

The Keneally/Bendian/Lunn Trio

featuring
    Mike Keneally (guitar, keys, vocals)
    Gregg Bendian (drums)
    Doug Lunn (bass guitar)

With influences as diverse as Sly Stone and Leonard Bernstein, The Rolling Stones and Henry Cow, Zappa, Yes, Coltrane, XTC, Crimson and so many more, it’s not surprising that Mike Keneally has enjoyed success in such disparate musical realms as touring with Frank Zappa, playing with Steve Vai and Joe Satriani, and performing live with Dethklok. All that on top of his own projects, which have spawned such gems as Scambot 1, Evidence of Humanity, and his most recent release “You Must Be This Tall”. In between all of that he’s also managed to co-write an album with Andy Partridge of XTC (called “Wing Beat Fantastic”) and score and perform several pieces for guitar and symphony (the most notable of which is the 52-minute suite “The Universe Will Provide”).

Reading all of that you might think that Mike Keneally is some sort of studio session whiz kid. Well, that he may be. But where Mike really and truly shines is in live performances, as evidenced by the ass-kicking-in-a-box called “bakin’@ the potato!”, a set recorded live for DVD at LA’s famed music mecca The Baked Potato. So I’m more that slightly ecstatic to be able to host, once again, a performance by Mike Keneally here at the cozy confines of Orion Studios. Mike’s live performances are legendary! He’s appeared here four times previously; this time he’s traveling with another frequent Showcase alum – drummer Gregg Bendian, cheif architect of The Mahavishnu Project.

Gregg’s own projects have produced numerous critically-acclaimed albums, often in collaboration with such luminaries as Pat Metheny, Nels Cline, and Zoot Horn Rollo (guitarist with Captain Beefheart). He was a mainstay in the New York Downtown scene during the mid-1980s where he performed with many important improvisers such as Tim Berne, Drek Bailey, John Zorn, Mark Dresser, Evan Parker,and many others. He toured as the drummer for The Cecil Tayor Trio and was timpani soloist with Ornette Coleman’s “Harmelodic Chamber Players”. These days, along with The Mahavishnu Project, Gregg leads the fusion project Interzone, and recently toured with the Genesis repertory ensemble The Musical Box.

It falls squarely on the shoulders of uber capable bassist Doug Lunn to keep it all together. Lunn is a multi-instrumentalist performer/composer who specializes on 5 string fretless electric bass. He has appeared on over 100 recordings with artists including Bruce Springsteen, Mark Isham, David Torn, Andy Summers, and numerous film and TV soundtracks. Doug was the co-leader and featured composer for the critically acclaimed band “Fire Merchants” with guitarist John Goodsall( Brand X ) and drummers Chester Thompson, Chad Wackerman, and Toss Panos. He also toured Europe in 1997 with the trio “Subject/Object” which included drummer Vinnie Colaiuta and guitarist David Torn. In 1992 he was a member of the house band on “The Dennis Miller Show”, and he recorded music for the movie “Taladega Nights” with Wayne Kramer (of the MC5) and Tom Morello (of Rage Against the Machine).

So put it all together – Keneally-Bendian-Lunn – you KNOW it’s gonna rock! All three are accomplished composers and improvisers with years of performing experience together and separately, but 2014 marks the first time the three of them have undertaken a tour together. The tour repertoire is largely drawn from Keneally’s lengthy album career (25 or so albums over two decades), with selections from Bendian’s and Lunn’s own projects, and a smattering of unusual covers (including songs by The Beach Boys, XTC, Elvis Costello and Led Zeppelin).

Da Rulz!

• All Ages Show
    • BYOB – coolers welcome
    • Small folding chairs – I have some but you’re welcome to bring your own
    • Show at 8:00pm – doors at around 7:30. Or so.
    • Cover is $25 (all of which goes to the bands – not a penny to the venue!)
    • driving directions

I will be there, a-workin' the door (and in amazement of the show!)
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

NOTE!! There's been a change in start time - starting at 9:00pm instead of 8:00pm. To be honest we likely would not have started before 8:30 anyway (what some refer to as 8:00 Orion Time). Still, given that Keneally-Bendian-Lunn are the only act, we should still be done early enough that everyone can get home in time for their beauty rest for the Friday workday - or you could just say "f### work!" and hang for a while after the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Potter View Post
    NOTE!! There's been a change in start time - starting at 9:00pm instead of 8:00pm. To be honest we likely would not have started before 8:30 anyway (what some refer to as 8:00 Orion Time). Still, given that Keneally-Bendian-Lunn are the only act, we should still be done early enough that everyone can get home in time for their beauty rest for the Friday workday - or you could just say "f### work!" and hang for a while after the show.
    That's why I'm super happy that the show in Philadelphia is on a Friday. I was supposed to drive out to Pittsburgh the next day, but that's not happening now, so I can still get my beauty rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Potter View Post
    Swanky! See you kids there
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Great show
    Excellent attendance
    INCREDIBLE cup cakes. WOW.

Thanks, everyone.

I booked out a little early, because I was just wiped out and had to get up at 5:45 am for an appointment, but I still saw 90 of great music.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Great show
    Excellent attendance
    INCREDIBLE cup cakes. WOW.

Thanks, everyone.

I booked out a little early, because I was just wiped out and had to get up at 5:45 am for an appointment, but I still saw 90 of great music.
    Great to hear, particularly about the attendance. Off to see them this week.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.