Thread: John Wesley - Disconnect

John Wesley - Disconnect

Been listening to the new John Wesley a lot since picking it up (thanks Progstreaming!). Great album. Contains some progressive elements, hard rock, and singer songwriter approach. Steven Wilson mixed one of the stronger melodic tracks, Windows.

Saw him open for the Winery Dogs last week and was even more impressed. Sounded great with Sean Malone on bass and stick.

Can definitely hear a Steven Wilson influence in John's music. Some songs resemble some Porcupine Tree material especially Disconnect. Comparing Disconnect to Wilson's latest solo work (which I also like), I think Disconnect is definitely more melodic.

Would really like to see John join PT on a permanent basis and help Steven with the writing for their next release. I think it would be a good combination. In addition, would be great to hear his contribution from a guitar and vocal standpoint.

Rick

Listening to it now - thanks for the suggestion.

This really is a strong album - especially the title track and "Gets You Every Time." I hope this album gets the exposure it so richly deserves.

below is the official video of the title track, for those interested.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I enjoyed the track on last month's Prog sampler. May have to pick this one up.

This is a great album! My second favorite of the year so far behind Bigelf's 'Into the Maelstrom'. I saw John Wesley and his band a couple of months ago in St. Petersburg, FL opening for Anathema. He played the majority of the songs from this album and a couple from his previous 'Shiver'. The songs sound even better live. Here are the photos I took from that gig: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=734c5ebc77

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Just got a copy of this - I actually meant to buy a download but accidentally ordered the CD.

Surprised no one has mentioned Alex Lifeson plays on one track. I haven't had a chance to listen to any of it yet.

The sticker says "The new album from John Wesley - famed guitarist of Porcupine Tree." I'm a big Wesley fan, but this is...typical of those stickers!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Would really like to see John join PT on a permanent basis and help Steven with the writing for their next release. I think it would be a good combination. In addition, would be great to hear his contribution from a guitar and vocal standpoint.

Rick
    That's a great idea...if there IS a next release, and anything permanent about that band!

Looking forward to the next Wilson solo release, though. And glad to see John is getting some more exposure via this new recording. Seems like a really nice fellow, and he's bike-riding buds with Neil Peart, too!

It should say "... famed ex-Marillion guitar tech"

There's a nice interview in the latest issue of Guitar Player magazine with Wesley. I was shocked. I know that Steven Wilson got the cover a year or so ago, but still...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Or Famed former Fish guitarist.

This CD has definitely grown on me. Stand-out track so far for these ears is 'Take What You Need'
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I think Disconnect and Mary Will are my faves. though, the whole album flows nicely and is very consistent.

Anyone have any of his other releases? Would like to try another one? Any suggestions?