Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dave 'Squids' Kerzner & Heather Findlay new band Mantra Vega w/ Dave Kilminster

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherWiseCDC View Post
    Congrats and best wishes, Dave. This is great news! We're all looking forward to hearing the music you and your bandmates have been working on. It's all very exciting. Cheers!
    Thanks WWCDC. I hope someone who is savvy at Wikipedia will make a page for Mantra Vega and also I noticed that despite all she's done (and it's quite a bit, particularly her 13 years with Mostly Autumn) Heather Findlay doesn't have a Wiki page.
    Last edited by Squids; 05-19-2014 at 01:28 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Wow, this thread is old! This album is (finally, I guess!) coming out next week, so I finally got on the stick and preordered a copy.

Any surprise guest female vocalists for a tune or two in Gettysburg this May, Squids?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

^ Geezer in a wig!

^^^^ Definitely not without precedent.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Wow, this thread is old! This album is (finally, I guess!) coming out next week, so I finally got on the stick and preordered a copy.
    I don't know how I missed this but thanx a bunch for bringin' it back up.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Wow, that sounds cool!

Heather Findlay is touring the Mantra Vega album in the UK but without Dave Kerzner or Dave Kilminster being involved. http://www.heatherfindlay.co.uk/wordpress/?p=720

Before that, the Dave Kerzner Band are also playing in the UK - which could provide an opportunity for HF to guest on a Mantra Vega song or two - who knows?

I'm hoping to see shows on both tours as they'll be playing reasonably close to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Progtastic View Post
    Heather Findlay is touring the Mantra Vega album in the UK but without Dave Kerzner or Dave Kilminster being involved. http://www.heatherfindlay.co.uk/wordpress/?p=720
    Looks like it also includes her solo stuff and Mostly Autumn stuff, so seems like a variety, and maybe not all of the Mantra Vega album.

I was at the album launch at Blakey Ridge on the top of the North Yorkshire Moors last night, lovely 'mostly' acoustic set from Heather and friends. We got a nice video from Squids in Miami beforehand and then most of the album beautifully played and sung, guest appearances from Bryan and Livvy and also from Troy Donockley.

Played the album on the way back across the moors afterwards, wonderful and laid back and so atmospheric - that could have had something to do with the thick fog on the top of the moors as well.

IMG_2653.jpg

My Mantra Vega CD arrived today! Can't wait to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Have never really gotten into Mostly Autumn. Heard a few clips here and there, but nothing really grabbed me. Could someone recommend some of their material to check out?

Thanks, Rick
    Check her colaboration in Ayreon's "The Human Equation". Her voice is beautiful.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gilawi View Post
    Check her colaboration in Ayreon's "The Human Equation". Her voice is beautiful.
    Now there's a band that Slacker has introduced me to, Ayreon.

IMO Mostly Autumn is a very hit or miss band. There's a lot of talent there, but the songwriting is often the weak link (I've heard several albums but not all). I'd suggest trying a compilation or live album for starters, or check out YouTube.

I'm in on this!
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by stickman393 View Post

Very Alan Parsons.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

IMO Mostly Autumn is a very hit or miss band. There's a lot of talent there, but the songwriting is often the weak link (I've heard several albums but not all). I'd suggest trying a compilation or live album for starters, or check out YouTube.
    I personally think Passengers is the standout album by them, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Very Alan Parsons.
    Mmm, based on an older thread I would say Parsons is more prog than this song. I hope the whole album is more adventurous (and contains a couple of longer solo's from Kilminster).

Quote Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
    I personally think Passengers is the standout album by them, IMO.
    Interesting - I could be mistaken, but as I recall that's one that most fans were disappointed by. I think I've listened to it a bit but not enough to know.

BTW, to anyone at all interested in Mostly Autumn, it's a good idea to get on their email list as they always release limited special editions with bonus CDs, and they always sell out. I've only managed to get in on a couple of those. As I said, they are a YMMV band, but it's nice to know when a release is due.

Interesting - I could be mistaken, but as I recall that's one that most fans were disappointed by.
    Not as far as I know, it was a very strong album. I've never seen/heard any criticism of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Progtastic View Post
    Not as far as I know, it was a very strong album. I've never seen/heard any criticism of it.
    Passengers is good, but The Last Bright Light is great.