Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 70s hard rock & heavy metal

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    What do you think of the new boy on drums? I think he's brilliant, saw him with the band last year, when he did a 10 minute solo.
    He's great. I know he works his ass off and feels so thankful to be playing with them. I like the guy.

But he can't swing. An element which is absolutely crucial to really getting the 70s Sabbath sound right.

What's bad on Technical Ecstasy, I don't know...their most melodic stuff in 70s. Guitar sound is crazy..good album, better than debut and MoR, IMHO.
    A bit banal, yes, maybe..that's because they emphasize a melodic side here. My fave track is All Moving Parts..

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    What's bad on Technical Ecstasy, I don't know...their most melodic stuff in 70s. Guitar sound is crazy..good album, better than debut and MoR, IMHO.
    A bit banal, yes, maybe..that's because they emphasize a melodic side here. My fave track is All Moving Parts..
    I don't know if this directed at me, but I certainly didn't say anything on it was "bad."

Better than debut and MoR? No. No it is not.

One thing that I find fascinating about TE was how "She's Gone" was such a huge hit for Marie Rotrova even before TE had a release in Czechoslovakia (I think due to delays on import albums being approved for release there back then). I think it's still probably her most known song.

No, my replica wasn't directed straight to you, Jeff, but you can take it if you wish, of course. It's always interesting to read your opinions.. Okay, I'm not insisting TE is much better than anything they did..but what I can't explain to myself, is that TE is considered here massively as BS lowest point. TE is this, SBS is that, Vol 4 is another..what's the great qualitative difference between these albums? More or less same music from more or less same band - here riffs, there riffs, everywhere riffs, similar structures, similar intonations, similar tones.

No, my replica wasn't directed straight to you, Jeff, but you can take it if you wish, of course. It's always interesting to read your opinions.. Okay, I'm not insisting TE is much better than anything they did..but what I can't explain to myself, is that TE is considered here massively as BS lowest point. TE is this, SBS is that, Vol 4 is another..what's the great qualitative difference between these albums? More or less same music from more or less same band - here riffs, there riffs, everywhere riffs, similar structures, similar intonations, similar tones.
    What some people don't like about TE is that it veers in a direction which they perceive as too "mainstream" for Sabbath.

But again, it's a misunderstood album, IMO. It's almost like it could have been made for a Broadway movie about the band. The "Backstreet Kids" make it big.

I like the album a lot. And I mean, come on ... how many "rock stars" write a song about being thankful for prostitutes on a lonely night? Aren't they mostly supposed to give the impression that women are theirs at any time of the day or night?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    What some people don't like about TE is that it veers in a direction which they perceive as too "mainstream" for Sabbath.

But again, it's a misunderstood album, IMO. It's almost like it could have been made for a Broadway movie about the band. The "Backstreet Kids" make it big.

I like the album a lot. And I mean, come on ... how many "rock stars" write a song about being thankful for prostitutes on a lonely night? Aren't they mostly supposed to give the impression that women are theirs at any time of the day or night?
    Yeah, really) Great observation, Jeff, I never thought about Dirty Women song in that way. I remember back then, when TE came out, no one of my pals valued it as weak album, but I agree about mainstream point, indeed, there are some signs of mainstream, though not so straightly put, as on H&H, for instance.

I like TE quite a lot....it's a bit inconsistent, but then I think that's the case with most Sabbath albums. For my money, "Gypsy" is one of the Sabs' top 10 songs.

70 Deep purple In Rock
    71 Look At Yourself
    72 Captain Beyond
    73 Sufficiently Breathless
    74 Secret Treaties
    75 Physical Graffiti
    76 Johnny The Fox
    77 Oops Wrong Utopia
    78 Van Halen
    79 Mr Universe
    80 Adventures in Utopia

QUOTE=This should be quite easy for heavy metal & hard rock fans to do & should be really interesting to compare lists. Pick your favourite hard/heavy/metal album of each year. Start in 70, end in 80.
    -
    Easy if you can amputate yourself enough to have one favorite per year and can color within the lines regarding what's heavy/hard or metal...always have failed miserably at this sort of thing, but will take a stab anyway w/ a couple of toss ups for a few of the years:
    1970 - McLaughlin / Devotion...Hendrix / Band of Gypsys
    1971 - Coryell / Fairyland...Groundhogs / Split
    1972 - Scorpions / Lonesome Crow
    1973 - New Trolls / UT...Iggy Pop / Raw Power ...K.C. / Lark's Tongues in Aspic
    1974 - Trettioariga Kriget /1st (Amazing record w/ gobs of cool structures, pre-dating a lot of metal vocabulary, it's like these bastards had a time machine)
    1975 - Blue Oyster Cult / On Your Feet or on Your Knees... FZ / Bongo Fury
    1976 - A.F.T. / Automatic Fine Tuning
    1977 - Radio Birdman / Radios Appear...Scorpions / Taken By Force
    1978 - Van Halen / Van Halen
    1979 - Chrome / Half Machine Lip Moves
    1980 - Motorhead /Ace Of Spades, (should probably check out Black Sabbath Heaven and Hell...seems to be the go to pick for 1980 on this thread)