Thread: Dennis Rea: What to Expect at Seaprog

Dennis Rea: What to Expect at Seaprog

"What to Expect at Seaprog," the latest installment in our series of Seaprog promotional videos created by ace videographer Scott Pinzon and Bill Crew, is now available for viewing. This episode highlights 5 of the 16 acts who'll be performing in this year's fest.

Hey, somebody misspelled Miriodor in the video.

Funny that they spelled Miriodor wrong. Other than that it's a nice presentation. I wouldn't expect this to be really well attended though, at least not by typical prog fans. I think other than Miriodor I don't see any well known bands listed that would help attract a larger audience. Still, I hope it is a success and they are able to continue to do this.

Oh my, we did misspell Miriodor. D'oh!

This is a festival that is aimed more at giving a boost to new and unknown Northwest bands, with a few bigger names thrown in. We manage our expenses so we can provide a first-class presentation to even a smaller audience. I think it's a great place to discover new music in a great atmosphere. Thanks for looking at the video!

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Funny that they spelled Miriodor wrong. Other than that it's a nice presentation. I wouldn't expect this to be really well attended though, at least not by typical prog fans. I think other than Miriodor I don't see any well known bands listed that would help attract a larger audience. Still, I hope it is a success and they are able to continue to do this.
    Count me in with the well wishers, although I'm perhaps a bit more optimistic about the turnout; altogether I'm not even sure there is any such thing as "typical prog fans" these days.

I really like some of Rea's own projects - Moraine, Iron Kim Style and that particularly impressive and wonderful "solo" release of contemporary works of his, Views from Chicheng Precipice. And while eclecticism seems to be high on the agenda with the best of the "progressive" festivals, I could name several in which the participants and/or arrangers on the contrary wouldn't even know or care to present the depth of the whole idiom. So here's hoping for an exhilarating event!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Lots of cool bands! Listening to The Mercury Tree right now....excellent stuff. Sounds like a very worthy venture deserving of support. Kudos to the organizers for putting in the time and effort. If I can find a way to make it, I will.

neil

Support new music!