Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: YES- Heaven & Earth - Reviews and More!

I really like the cover. The painting is beautifully detailed.
    I think the lettering is great. Agreed that it does not have much stylistically in common with rest of the cover, but when did contrasting styles ever put off a progcrowd?

I can't wait to see it on vinyl.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Some of you guys were being really nitpicky about the album cover. If you can do better than by all means do it and show your album cover here. If you like it great. That's all that should matter.
    Huh? This IS a thread about the album cover. I'm sure I could NOT do better, but that doesn't mean I don't have the right to criticise. There isn't much point in having a discussion thread if only positive comments are allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Still, it's infinitely better than the covers of, say, 90125, Big Generator, Talk, and Open Your Eyes.
    Actually, I don't agree in the case of 90125 and Talk - and you forgotten to mention some of the Godawful covers from before that period, like Going For The One, Tormato, and, dare I say it, The Yes Album. Shitty covers aren't exclusive to the Rabin period... :-)

Truth is not that many Yes albums have great covers, unless one goes weak at the knees for anything by Roger Dean. Some of the generic ones from the 90s, like the YesYears boxed set, KTA1 and The Ladder, are nice enough - but, for me, the last really great Yes album cover was Relayer (which I reckon is also the best one).

That said, I really don't like this new album cover. But as long as the music has some freshness, impact, flair and precociousness (like all the best Yes music tends to), then I'll be happy enough whatever the cover looks like.

Suspended
    I love the cover of Going For the One, and not just because it's got a male arse. To me that cover is making a very well executed statement about the contrast between man as a creature of nature, and the artificial environment that man has created for himself.

Excluding the Roger Dean creations, I think GFTO is the only Yes cover I like. Even the new Heaven and Earth cover is quite nice, I just don't like it as much as, for example, Relayer or Tales.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Some of you guys were being really nitpicky about the album cover. If you can do better than by all means do it and show your album cover here. If you like it great. That's all that should matter.
    The album is a product. We are consumers. In order to sell us the product must be appealing. They want our money; we can and will nitpick.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    The album is a product. We are consumers. In order to sell us the product must be appealing. They want our money; we can and will nitpick.
    well said.

to continue this particular debate: as a matter of fact i work as a graphic designer in (mainly) CD and DVD packaging and while not remotely anywhere in roger dean’s ballpark in regards to illustration and painting i think i can say that i have the ability to recognise good and sound creative services and to art direct products like these to achieve good results. while this is a venerable roger dean piece the black (generic) font at the top and the b/w logo rob the artwork a great deal of liveliness and brilliance. the icy tree/branch at the front almost seems like an afterthought and i wonder whether that ice dome / mushroom cloud in the back (with some minor embellishments here and there to give it more depth) wouldn't have been enough. it is the (butt end of the) CD age after all and even deanisms can be reduced to the max (eg. ASiA’s “phoenix”).

nitpicky? YES. which makes me no worse than most YES-fans, hehe...

The album cover is taking a beating. Wait until the music is released. Yowsa.

It looks like that James Cameron movie. What was it called....?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Are you suggesting that they should get that funk out of your face?
    I'm happy that Chris got the funk out of his outfits !

The cover is 'OK', maybe the lyrics will shed some light on it...better than Tormado.
    I rate it 3 out of 5 Tomatoes...

I'm an illustrator/graphic artist as well, and know how to design an album cover. That B+W logo does not read as a Yes logo. If you aren't familiar with the balloon logo's shape, you cannot read this. It's edgy, new, daring, different, and (possibly) Dean - but it isn't legible.

The first rule of design.
    "Wow that's really cool, but...I can't read it..."

^^

Sorry but that logo design is being used since Close to the Edge, so what is the problem???

Easily the ugliest Yes logo, yet. Open Your Eyes.

who cares about the cover, lets hope the tunes are good!

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    ^^

Sorry but that logo design is being used since Close to the Edge, so what is the problem???
    Like he said, it's not the shape, it's the fill. People are already Photoshopping it in alternate, more appealing colors.

Like he said, it's not the shape, it's the fill. People are already Photoshopping it in alternate, more appealing colors.
    It's a bit daring, which makes me hope for a more daring album too.

Why don't you and your crew not write an album for them? I'm sure the result would be much better than whats coming up.

Exactly. And they all look better and enhance the art. Dean's one of my heroes, since childhood. I'm somewhat surprised he did this/released it. It's not an organic animal pattern, a chrome fill, or variations on color gradients. It's not even a pleasing BW graphic element like many classic prog albums have used: TLLDOB's sleeve graphics.

The rest of it has a simplicity that goes back to the CTTE cover, one of my all-time favorites.

Here's on take from yesfans:

Here's one take from yesfans:
    Yuck. Leave it to the pros.

MOST of the Photoshopped logos look better. Oy. Those colors aren't working.

Quote Originally Posted by DGuitarist View Post
    Yeah, kindly put down the saturation sliders and step slowly back from the computer.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Yeah, kindly put down the saturation sliders and step slowly back from the computer.
    That's just it; the rest of the illustration is perfect. Dean knows color theory very well.
    If you need to alter the overall art just to make your design work, then back to the Wacom tablet. Or somesuch art-related quip.

Yeah, I agree messing with the main illustration was not cool, but it gives an idea of how changing the logo fill changes the entire feel.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Chad

Yeah, I agree messing with the main illustration was not cool, but it gives an idea of how changing the logo fill changes the entire feel.
    And even though that one looks like those geriatric purple/turquoise track suits, or garish running shoe color schemes - it shows how a color logo can look more completed, and a B/W looks pasted-on. Or, something.
    I do like the frozen water mushroom cloud. That's got a trippiness to it that is nice to see.

Quote Originally Posted by DGuitarist View Post
    My mother does a lot of graphic design work and I will do my best to channel what I think would be her views...

There are two things fighting for the viewers attention: the tree and the Yes logo. They are crowding each other and are in conflict. The viewer's eye constantly darts from one to the other. The result is not satisfying. The original zigzag zebra pattern or the colors above both exacerbate this problem

The typical solution would be to make one more prominant. I would let it be the tree. I would keep the Yes logo the same size but make it a more neutral color and put it *behind* the ice structure, so the bottom loop part is obscured. That would clearly allow the viewer to focus on the tree, which is pretty neat and I do like the ice structure too.

Now, if I actually had any photoshop skills I would try it out...