Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Daevid Allen Needs Operation, Tour Postponed

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ Couldn't say it better. Will definitely buy the new CD.

Great news !! Healing vibes all around !! There's been an extra operation or two, but things are going great ! Grab that guitar and tell us all about it Daevid !

I laughed out loud -- "You Can't Kill Me" -- ho-ho, what a lovely presence Daevid is. Would love to see him on Romantic Warriors III hint hint now that he's easy to catch.

Reading this made me really emotional this morning
    Bless Daevid

Hillage as a guest....

This is good news all around, that Daevid is doing well and that they're going to tour without Daevid. Orlando's given the keys to the Gong bus. Judging by Acid Motherhood, Fabio's Violeto Di Outno, and the rest of the young member's work, this is good company. At any rate, you knew this day was coming. Soilder on!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

God vibes coming your way Daevid

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    God vibes coming your way Daevid
    And that's NOT a typo, right?

ALL the Gods are helping Daevid !!

Heal on, you crazy diamond !!!

All the best to Daevid, hope he gets better as soon as possible.
    I will definately buy the CD, no question about that, but I am a bit sad I wont get to see Daevid with gong in their next show here.
    I will go to the show but for me Gong without Daevid is simply not Gong (with all due respect to all the wonderful musicians in current Gong lineup).
    Some of my friends who planned to go cancelled upon hearing that Daevid will be absent, and I cant really blame them...

^ But Gong has existed without him before.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ But Gong has existed without him before.
    And how does that contradict what I wrote?
    "but for me Gong without Daevid is simply not Gong".

I didn't mean it contradicted what you wrote, just that Gong has existed without Allen before.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I didn't mean it contradicted what you wrote, just that Gong has existed without Allen before.
    Sure, but in the "Shamal" era you had Malherbe, Howlett and Moerlen from the previous period & two previous albums.
    In this case, none of the band were on the last album to date, "2032" (although Dave Sturt and Ian East have been touring members since 2009 - and are now the longest-serving members !!).
    Actually the present situation is closest to Paragong in 1973, where only Malherbe remained from the previous line-up, with Hillage and Blake having merely "helped out" on "Flying Teapot" (though Blake was already a full member at that point, he hadn't yet fully made his impact felt).

This is certainly quite daring to expect audiences to readily accept/embrace this line-up as Gong.

I wish them all the best though and look forward to seeing them, and of course look forward to Daevid joining them when he's able to.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Sure, but in the "Shamal" era you had Malherbe, Howlett and Moerlen from the previous period & two previous albums.
    In this case, none of the band were on the last album to date, "2032" (although Dave Sturt and Ian East have been touring members since 2009 - and are now the longest-serving members !!).
    Actually the present situation is closest to Paragong in 1973, where only Malherbe remained from the previous line-up, with Hillage and Blake having merely "helped out" on "Flying Teapot" (though Blake was already a full member at that point, he hadn't yet fully made his impact felt).

This is certainly quite daring to expect audiences to readily accept/embrace this line-up as Gong.

I wish them all the best though and look forward to seeing them, and of course look forward to Daevid joining them when he's able to.
    True, this is a very daring move.
    Your last sentence sums it all up for me too.

Understood. At least it'll be like a Gong cover band , which can't be all bad.

I wish them all the best though and look forward to seeing them
    I'm gonna run with this. If you got Acid Motherhood or AMG, then perhaps this isn't so daring, but in fact, expected. Just as Gilli had to retire, Daevid will too. Nothing shocking about that, though yes, the timing nor the situation isn't perfect.

My unfortunate belief is that the "old man set" will not accept Orlando's (and Fabio for that matter) Gong because they've got both feet stuck in the past. Maybe not so much with the younger kids?

I for one welcome it gladly. Can't wait. Excited.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I'm gonna run with this. If you got Acid Motherhood or AMG, then perhaps this isn't so daring, but in fact, expected. Just as Gilli had to retire, Daevid will too. Nothing shocking about that, though yes, the timing nor the situation isn't perfect..
    Not the first time this has happened either: Ashley Hutchings' son now leads his longtime group the Albion Band.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Not the first time this has happened either: Ashley Hutchings' son now leads his longtime group the Albion Band.
    Not anymore.

They called it a day last year - I don't think the audiences really warmed to the idea, and audiences were pretty small.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    Not anymore.

They called it a day last year - I don't think the audiences really warmed to the idea, and audiences were pretty small.
    Sorry to hear that-- I have the album (Vice of the People) and was pleasantly surprised.

Yeah. I got that email this morning. It's made my day.

Thats great news,
    Perhaps I am over optimistic but I have a feeling that Daevid with his good energies and vitality will heal faster than the average person.