Thread: R.I.P. Album Artist Patrick Woodroffe

R.I.P. Album Artist Patrick Woodroffe

This was just posted on the Pallas Facebook page:

We have some very sad news from the family of Patrick Woodroffe "After a short illness, Patrick died just before 3am in the early hours of Saturday morning."

Our thoughts are with his family, we have been honoured to have been associated with his amazing artwork.

Woodroffe of course created the artwork for Pallas' "The Sentinel" along with some other incredible covers by the likes of Strawbs, Judas Priest, and Budgie. I always enjoyed his fantastical artwork.

RIP Patrick.

Suspended
    It's not so long since we lost Storm Thurgerson. That really only leaves Roger Dean, of the iconic album cover designers.

Wonder who is stepping up to fill their shoes?

Oh that's sad to hear, his artwork for The Pentateuch of the Cosmonogy must be one of the most intricate of all time... could never get into the music though, but kept the vinyl for it's sheer beauty.

Colin Elgie - Trick and W & W amongst others

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/colin-elgie-mn0001828332

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Oh that's sad to hear, his artwork for The Pentateuch of the Cosmonogy must be one of the most intricate of all time... could never get into the music though, but kept the vinyl for it's sheer beauty.
    I have a cousin who hung on to that album for the same reason. He said the music wasn't that great, even by David Greenslade's standards, but the booklet and the album cover made the experience.

His masterpiece is The Pentateuch of the Cosmogony. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pen..._the_Cosmogony
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Sad news. I've always enjoyed looking at an excellent book of his that I have called Mythopoeikon. RIP

Sad news indeed. He was one of Britain's great fantasy illustrators of the 70s. Several of his covers are enshrined in the Dean's "Magnetic Storm" book.

RIP.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

His website hasn't even been updated yet. Reading the 'News' section one has to wonder if his ailments included some kind of mental illness. Seriously.

Holy shit. I first saw Patrick's great works not via music, but his collection Mythopoeikon 30+ years ago. RIP.

Saddened with this..My favorite cover by him remains Greenslade "Time & Tide". Very mysterious picture, fantastic draftsman. First time I got the album I thought it must be Roger Dean's cover..Patrick had a distinctive style, with taste to detail. RIP

For many years, my "holy grail" of record collecting was "The Pentateuch of the Cosmonogy." I was thrilled to finally get a copy. As others have said, the music is only so-so, but the book it comes with is fantastic.

Very sad to hear this news...

To roylayer: The music of The Pentateuch is only so-so but if you take the 5 or 6 best cuts and make a single CD with it you get great music. Some cuts are really good.
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Suspended
    Incidentally, does "The Pentateuch of the Cosmogony" get the gong for the most pompous pretentious prog album title ever?

Yeah, sorry to hear about it, I enjoyed his artwork and the many covers he did as well. I also had book Mythopoeikon.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Incidentally, does "The Pentateuch of the Cosmogony" get the gong for the most pompous pretentious prog album title ever?
    No I can think of a few others.
    • Robert Calvert - Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters
    • Elton John - Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy
    • Limp Bizkit - Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavored Water
    • T. Rex - Zinc Alloy and the Hidden Riders of Tomorrow
    • Tyrannosaurus Rex - My People Were Fair and Had Sky in Their Hair... but Now They're Content to Wear Stars on Their Brows
    • Fiona Apple - When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might so When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right
    • Soulwax - Most of the remixes we've made for other people over the years except for the one for Einstürzende Neubauten because we lost it and a few we didn't think sounded good enough or just didn't fit in length-wise, but including some that are hard to find because either people forgot about them or simply because they haven't been released yet, a few we really love, one we think is just ok, some we did for free, some we did for money, some for ourselves without permission and some for friends as swaps but never on time and always at our studio in Ghent
    • Chumbawamba - The Boy Bands Have Won, and All the Copyists and the Tribute Bands and the TV Talent Show Producers Have Won, If We Allow Our Culture to Be Shaped by Mimicry, Whether From Lack of Ideas or From Exaggerated Respect. You Should Never Try to Freeze Culture. What You Can Do Is Recycle That Culture. Take Your Older Brother's Hand-Me-Down Jacket and Re-Style It, Re-Fashion It to the Point Where It Becomes Your Own. But Don't Just Regurgitate Creative History, or Hold Art and Music and Literature as Fixed, Untouchable and Kept Under Glass. The People Who Try to 'Guard' Any Particular Form of Music Are, Like the Copyists and Manufactured Bands, Doing It the Worst Disservice, Because the Only Thing That You Can Do to Music That Will Damage It Is Not Change It, Not Make It Your Own. Because Then It Dies, Then It's Over, Then It's Done, and the Boy Bands Have Won[2] commonly shortened to The Boy Bands Have Won
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 05-13-2014 at 11:48 AM.

I have a cousin who hung on to that album for the same reason. He said the music wasn't that great, even by David Greenslade's standards, but the booklet and the album cover made the experience.
    Yes... the music is crap but that cover!!! The only reason many people are keeping this album...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

It's not so long since we lost Storm Thurgerson. That really only leaves Roger Dean, of the iconic album cover designers.

Wonder who is stepping up to fill their shoes?
    Rodney Mathew's is still doing great art work!!!!

RIP Patrick!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Rodney Mathew's is still doing great art work!!!!
    I really enjoy Rodney's work as well, though I haven't seen anything new from him in some time. I also enjoy alot of what Ioannis does - he has created some very cool art for Styx, Allman Brothers, Uriah Heep and many others. He has done over 170 album covers.

One of my other favorite cover artists is David Cross, who created some wildly clever, detailed and fantastical art for many of Anthony Phillips' albums. Anyone know if he is still actively working?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I really enjoy Rodney's work as well, though I haven't seen anything new from him in some time. ?
    Check out Magnum's albums for Rodney's more recent work!

That's very sad. RIP Patrick and thanks.