Thread: FEATURED CD - Glass Hammer : The Middle Earth Album

FEATURED CD - Glass Hammer : The Middle Earth Album

Another one with a PE flavor. I know trurl et al have moved far away from this kind of music, but I had a soft spot for this album when it came out.

Per Amazon:
    Glass Hammer's "Middle Earth Album" is a HIT with fans of fantasy and Tolkien. On this album, Glass Hammer departs from it's usual progressive rock bombast, to perform a medieval \ Celtic \ folk set recorded "live at The Prancing Pony Inn". Sing along with the denizens of Bree as you hear tales of Elven maidens and sword-wielding Rangers, Dwarven heroes and bloodthirsty Trolls. Transport yourself to a land of legend with the music of Glass Hammer!

Jonathan Watson of TolkienOnLine.com has commented that "It may very well be what Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippen witnessed as they stayed at the inn. On the album, the music is rousing, the lyrics pure fun, and the crowd at the inn a jostling bunch that doesn't seem to get their fill of fun. If you want a truly new experience in Middle-earth, a musical example of what Tolkien termed "sub-creation", then grab your headphones, slide the CD in, and join the patrons of The Prancing Pony Inn!"
    http://www.amazon.com/Middle-Earth-A...n=5174&s=music

Regards,

Duncan

I know there are some Glass Hammer guys on this forum, so no offence, but this is my least favorite Glass Hammer disc. I tried with it, but it never really caught on with me.

This is one of the only GH discs I don't own. The others are Journey Of The Dunadan, On To Evermore, and the compilation One. I don't have any of the DVDs either (rarely watch most of the live DVDs I already have), but otherwise I've got all things Glass Hammer, including the often overlooked/rarely mentioned The Compilations: 1996 to 2004. Are any of the titles that I'm missing necessary?

IMO, the crown jewel of their catalogue is most certainly The Inconsolable Secret - particularly that excellent reissue from a year or so ago. I also love the Live At NEARfest album which I've made threads about here in the past. GH rule!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Suspended
    I dare say there will be many people who avoid this album simply because they are all Tolkiened out. I must admit, I loved Lord of the Rings (the books that is), but over the last few years I have got tired of all the exploitation. Still, I'd like to think the music can be judged on its own merits.

I have not heard this album, and I have heard very little Glass Hammer, so when i have the chance I'll give this a listen. I like the cover - very tasteful.

I found the hatred of this one amusing. Maybe it's because it came along right when GH were starting to really take the leap, so to speak. But all the talk about how this was Glass Hammer's new direction and it sucked or whatever was so dumb. This couldn't possibly sound any more like a one-off if they tried. I do think the best stuff is all on the second half and maybe it's a bit of a cheap shot putting "This Fading Age" on there again but that song is so damn good that I'm really glad they did. Pretty neat for a band that is very much wrapped into the progressive rock genre to do something like this.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

I own this and even spin it from time to time. But I will admit it's really for completists only. Some fun drinking songs direct from the "Prancing Pony", and a couple nice proggy tunes near the end. But if you are expecting a typical Glass Hammer release, look elsewhere.

How do people compare this to Mostly Autumn's 2001 release "Music Inspired By Lord of the Rings"?

Seems like both bands perhaps did these albums as a one-off, don't know how they feel about it now?

I personally think GH blows Mostly Autumn out of the water, but that's just my personal taste. Having said that, this is one GH album I never bought, or even listened to. I have heard the Mostly Autumn one, and rather like it. I will give this a listen and should probably pick it up. Incidentally, Bo Hansson's Lord of the Rings album is still one of my most treasured albums ever, but the deep mood of that album differs greatly from the celtic inspired releases of every one else.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    How do people compare this to Mostly Autumn's 2001 release "Music Inspired By Lord of the Rings"?

Seems like both bands perhaps did these albums as a one-off, don't know how they feel about it now?
    I prefer the Mostly Autumn album, though I'm not a big fan of them as a band. It can be listened to as just a collection of prog songs and is still in their own sound. For GH, there is no doubt this is music about Lord of the Rings.

Personally I prefer the LOTR albums done by Par Lindh and Björn Johansson. They have kind of a symphonic folk/prog feel.

I've never heard this album. I did however hear it and Glass Hammer mentioned on the radio back around 02 or 03. It was during an NPR special on Tolkien inspired bands and music. I think this happened even before the first LOTR movie.

I have no love of Irish/Scottish folk music and avoid pubs that are themed around that type of live music. I'm sure that those who do like that form of music may find enjoyment in this Glass Hammer outlier. I do not. I'm not convinced it should have been marketed under their band name, and maybe should have been under a pseudonym of some sort to make it clear it differs substantially from the majority of their catalogue. Sorry if this is a bit of a negative dirge. I could be more positive about other Glass Hammers recording I have enjoyed. This is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarr73729 View Post
    I have no love of Irish/Scottish folk music and avoid pubs that are themed around that type of live music. I'm sure that those who do like that form of music may find enjoyment in this Glass Hammer outlier. I do not. I'm not convinced it should have been marketed under their band name, and maybe should have been under a pseudonym of some sort to make it clear it differs substantially from the majority of their catalogue. Sorry if this is a bit of a negative dirge. I could be more positive about other Glass Hammers recording I have enjoyed. This is not one of them.
    It was a one off project, and they were pretty clear about what it was. I certainly knew when I bought it, so it's not as if anyone should feel ripped off by this. Did anyone really think this was the new direction of GH? I guess some people just buy stuff because it has the band name on it, and don't bother to find out anything first. Reminds me of some Opeth fans who bitch about the mellow "Damnation" album. It was a companion album to their normal heavy one they also released at that time. Any fan, or even non-fan like myself knew of this. It's why I bought it, great reviews and growl free.