Thread: New Beefheart - Harpos Detroit Dec 11th 1980

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

New Beefheart - Harpos Detroit Dec 11th 1980

http://www.amazon.com/Harpos-Detroit...talca0daa06-20

This was the tour with the mellotron. It's already out in England, so maybe someone has it already and can tell us about it.

It's on Gonzo. That would make me very cautious.

It might sound better than the recording uploaded on YT.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YB9vUmuTCMo

But it might not.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Gonzo beef

Quote Originally Posted by Beebfader View Post
    It's on Gonzo. That would make me very cautious.
    Any particular reason?

It can't be any worse than the shoddy releases cranked out by the Ozit label, who've been beeflegging Bootheart for years. But I doubt this new one is any more authorized than those. They can apparently get away with it because the rights to Beefheart's music are so muddled--he would notoriously sign any contract that was placed in front of him.

I will be picking this up. Dodgy or not, Beefheart = autobuy (especially a show recorded in my hometown).

I'm fairly certain this is an official release, as I've seen some press releases for this.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    If you zoom in on the credits on the "ticket", it lists both "Jeff Tapir/White" and "Jeff Moris Tepper", both of which refer to the same guy and the first of which is a botched combination of two of his Van Vliet-assigned stage names. Let's hope this isn't reflective of the overall quality of the release.

Seems strange to me that in the Gonzo press releases i've read there's no mention of this being an authorized release.I'd think that would be something they'd want to mention.

I'll stay away if it's unauthorized,if it's legit, i'm in.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

[QUOTE=walt;251558]Seems strange to me that in the Gonzo press releases i've read there's no mention of this being an authorized release.I'd think that would be something they'd want to mention.

Hence my caution. Let's just say that some record companies have higher production standards than others, some will go to master sources and pay for the privilege, others will dress up bootlegs and hope for the best....

Regarding Beefheart what exactly is an official release -who's approval do they actually need ?

Musicians' rights

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Regarding Beefheart what exactly is an official release - who's approval do they actually need ?
    As a rule of thumb, *all* the band members featured on the recording. In the case of the late Don Vliet, whoever administers his estate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    This was the tour with the mellotron. It's already out in England, so maybe someone has it already and can tell us about it.
    So was this the "Doc at the Radar Station" tour? I love his use of the tron on Sue Egypt and in a Beefheart bio it mentions how he just fell in love with the instrument
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/