Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What are Your Pop Culture Dealbreakers?

What are Your Pop Culture Dealbreakers?

http://www.avclub.com/article/whats-...breaker-204152

As music snobs we've probably got more than we should so let's try to avoid the usual suspects. What movie, TV series, books, musical artist raises your hackles when meeting someone new and they admit to what they're passionate about?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Star Wars
    The 700 Club
    Ayn Rand
    Jimmy Buffett

Well, maybe not raise my hackles, but still...
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I like this quote from the piece:
    ".... I have to say that slavish devotion to any movie, TV show, or book is something that I don’t understand, and something that makes me uncomfortable whenever I encounter it."
    And that goes for Prog, professional sports, Comicon-ish, religion and politics too. Oh yeah, and people chasing hipster recognition points.
    I like things in general, but I do not let them define me.
    Almost anything is allowed as a passing phase.
    Crossing the line to Otaku like behavior, ewwww.

mark
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Tolkien - books, films, soundtracks

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Crossing the line to Otaku like behavior, ewwww.
    Yeah, I hate that.

Now I have to look up what Otaku means.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Tolkien - books, films, soundtracks
    Yeah, my former manager took the whole team to those 3 hobbit movies around Christmas as they were released. I appreciated the gesture, but I could not stay awake.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Yeah, I hate that.

Now I have to look up what Otaku means.
    Or an Anorak for the UK folks.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Anything regarding the Twilight series.
    Anything involving a "Real Housewife," someone who's "16 and pregnant," a "toddler with a tiara" (really, America? No one else thinks this is disgusting?), anyone who supposedly speaks English but needs subtitles, etc.
    Any singer who can't sing in key without help from AutoTune.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Anything regarding the Twilight series.
    Anything involving a "Real Housewife," someone who's "16 and pregnant," a "toddler with a tiara" (really, America? No one else thinks this is disgusting?), anyone who supposedly speaks English but needs subtitles, etc.
    Score, score and score!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Suspended
    Rap with lots of gratuitous swearing.

I mean, come on, don't try to tell me you like it because it's so edgy, so uncompromising, so "tell it like it is". Music, even rap, can be all those things without a single F-word or S-word. You just like it because it's got all these naughty words that older people find offensive. Grow up.

I noticed something recently. Punk rock was probably the prime example of musical expression of anger and dissatisfaction with society. Yet most punk rock contains very little swearing at all. The Clash, for example, swear once on the whole Sandinista! album, and it's easy to miss it. The Sex Pistols did one song that's full of swear words, and that was about it. Most of their songs contain none of it.

Reggae. You're a fan? Let's not waste eachother's time by trying to find common ground - I still won't like you.

Monty Python. I spent the 80s surrounded by people who thought nothing was funnier than to repeat sketches by these guys ad infinitum. And they weren't that funny in the first place.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

My deal breaker is this whole article. I didn't make it through. I know None of the authors.....and, in the end......I don't care......
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post

Monty Python. I spent the 80s surrounded by people who thought nothing was funnier than to repeat sketches by these guys ad infinitum. And they weren't that funny in the first place.
    Oh man, I am so with you. Never found their arrogant, middle class, public shool, piss taking of British society funny in the first place, and still don't. Fawlty Towers if anything was even worse than MPFC.

Suspended
    I forgot to add "people who don't 'get' Monty Python.

^^ That kinda reminds me of one: Those who think The Beatles are "overrated."

Seriously? I can understand if you don't care for them. But, overrated?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

People who think that "overrated" and "underrated" are words that actually mean something.
    Gary Chapin

French accordion blog: http://www.accordeonaire.blogspot.com

Hipsters who judge music by whether it's fashionable or not; preposterous given the sort of colourless, dreary music some of them espouse.
    Rap; I don't understand its appeal, I'm afraid, and I'm not about to pretend I do.
    Autotuned/programmed pop; I feel sad that there's such a uniform sound to pop music at present.
    Bellowing divas who sing too many notes; enough said!
    Sci-fi; beyond some Doctor Who episodes, the whole thing doesn't do it for me. Sci-fi shows invariably involve men pressing buttons and talking hi-falutin technobabble, not particularly interesting to me.
    People who are famous for being famous...usually reality TV types. Gets my goat that so much media attention is lavished on these non-entities when so many decent people are struggling silently.
    Like ronmac I have little time for those who try to be iconoclastic about The Beatles as well. Comes off as trying to be 'different' to me, pissing on an obviously great band that most of the world loved and still does.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Sci-fi; beyond some Doctor Who episodes, the whole thing doesn't do it for me. Sci-fi shows invariably involve men pressing buttons and talking hi-falutin technobabble, not particularly interesting to me.
    Hence the difference between Sci-fi and real science fiction. (How's that for pretentious?)

Seriously, good fiction in any genre is about people (individuals, far more than whole societies), and never relies on crutches, tropes, etc. Technobabble is a crutch. There isn't much good science fiction on television or in movies; you have to dig into books for the really good stuff. One counter-example on current television is Orphan Black, but on the science side they succeeded by doing two things: they kept the science close enough to current-day capabilities to qualify as hard science, and they have a very knowledgeable science advisor. Plus they have outstanding writers, actors, and production crew.

but sci-fi that trips my tolerance levels - virtually all of Star Trek, Star Wars, Farscape, Star Gate. Doctor Who escapes only to the extent that they keep the technobabble tongue-in-cheek.
    I think the subtext is rapidly becoming text.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Reggae. You're a fan? Let's not waste eachother's time by trying to find common ground - I still won't like you.

Python can certainly be polarizing. There is not much middle ground with them. People either find them totally hilarious and innovative or don’t get them at all. I am in the former camp, but I have known a lot of people over the years that did not find them funny.

Rap/Hip Hop - Don't like it, don't get it, don't want to hear it...
    Reggae - Maybe it's not so boring if you smoke 20 pounds of ganja before listening...
    Pop stars who don't write their own songs
    All autotuned pop stars (especially those who call themselves "artists" or refer to themselves in the 3rd person or by a single name)
    Singers of the national anthem at sports events who add about 2000 notes to the original melody
    Rolling Stone
    Real Housewives of [fill in the blank]
    Any Hollywood remake of a movie that was cool over 20+ years ago...c'mon, try writing something new instead of milking the past...
    Any TV series based on a movie that was cool over 20+ years ago...same reason as above...
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

I don't know what it is to relate to Python outside of the time-frame they were relevant... I think they are about the funniest thing ever but I was around when it was fresh. Ish. I suspect it's like people who don't "get" Neal Peart. It has a lot to do with context.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Hipsters who judge music by whether it's fashionable or not; preposterous given the sort of colourless, dreary music some of them espouse.
    I heard a guy at work complaining about some friends bringing him to some JAZZ concert and he couldn't WAIT to leave--there was a TRUMPET! OMG, he'd rather stab himself in the EARS than ever sit through TRUMPET music again. A while later I overheard him saying he had to hurry when he left work because he had to get to Worcester for a concert. I looked up and found that some trendy pop group was playing in Worcester that night. I think it was Imagine Dragons, no offense to Imagine Dragons fans.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I forgot to add "people who don't 'get' Monty Python.

<==Graham Chapman

Selfies
    Facebook
    American Idol

Twitter.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?