Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - Beardfish: Sleeping In Traffic - Parts 1 and 2

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I find Beardfish very frustrating: their albums have a lot of great music which is almost systematically ruined by some goofy moments that annoy the hell out of me! Those 2 albums are perfect examples of these two extremes, and I've never been able to enjoy them in their entirety.
    To make things worse, they started adding growls on the next album (another no-go for me!).
    The only album of theirs that I enjoy in its entirety is Mammoth: no goofy moments and no growling, although I'll admit that Mammoth is probably not a good representation of Beardfish's music, being less stylistically "all over the place" than previous albums.
    Uh oh. Not only are there growls on Mammoth, but they even brought in a ringer to of them. Guess you'll have to take it out of the listen pile.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Uh oh. Not only are there growls on Mammoth, but they even brought in a ringer to of them. Guess you'll have to take it out of the listen pile.
    I know, but those growls are backing vocals with Rikard singing over them with his clean voice. Somehow I can stand that!
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

All around the world. On land and in the sea.
    I have no problem with growls when used in moderation. The little bit on Destined Solitaire does not bother me at all; just some fun.
    Check out Colouratura's sophomore release Unfamiliar Skies - out this spring on Melodic Revolution Records!

colouratura.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I find Beardfish very frustrating: their albums have a lot of great music which is almost systematically ruined by some goofy moments that annoy the hell out of me! Those 2 albums are perfect examples of these two extremes, and I've never been able to enjoy them in their entirety.
    To make things worse, they started adding growls on the next album (another no-go for me!).
    The only album of theirs that I enjoy in its entirety is Mammoth: no goofy moments and no growling, although I'll admit that Mammoth is probably not a good representation of Beardfish's music, being less stylistically "all over the place" than previous albums.
    This is exactly my experience with them! There’s some great material here, but their so-called “humour” is constantly wrecking my enjoyment of these. Especially Part 2. The long track is an utterly frustrating experience; amazing music sitting side-by-side next to completely obnoxious, unlistenable moments. And “South of the Border” is one of the worst modern prog songs I have ever heard! Just dreadful!

I recently pulled Mammoth off the mothballs for a re-listen, and I forgot/never noticed before what a fine album it is. It’s superb from start to finish. It’s the only one I’ve heard that really lives up to the Beardfish hype (still have not heard the first two or The Void).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

The Sane Day may be my favorite, but Mammoth is awfully close. Sure like the Sleeping in Traffic albums too. I guess I like Beardfish a good deal.

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Cashflow reminds me of Samla or Flying Food Circus.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Part 2 is probably my favorite Beardfish disc, and definitely the most personal, tho that has a lot to do with what I was going thru at the time I first listened to it. The title track is actually one of the oldest Beardfish songs, predating their first album even, tho the version on the disc has been punched-up and improved upon from the earliest versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    This is exactly my experience with them! There’s some great material here, but their so-called “humour” is constantly wrecking my enjoyment of these. Especially Part 2. The long track is an utterly frustrating experience; amazing music sitting side-by-side next to completely obnoxious, unlistenable moments. And “South of the Border” is one of the worst modern prog songs I have ever heard! Just dreadful!
    We are definitely on the same page! You just summed up my thoughts about SiT part 2!
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Part One is quite good. Part Two I bounced off of completely.

There are remarks above that pretty much define why.

'Sleeping in Traffic, Part 1' was the first Beardfish I bought and liked it right away. I thought I was listening to a prog album from the 70's, I played the heck out of this one. Never bothered buying Part 2, don't know why I didn't at the time but reading the mixed reviews about that one, I probably won't be adding it to my collection. I did buy 'Destined Solitaire' and 'Mammoth' when they came out and like them as well, especially 'Destined Solitaire'.

I played SIT Part 2 over the last couple days because of this thread (whilst stoned). It took two days to get through the 35 minute epic. I read War And Peace and grew a beard by the time that song ended..... Seriously, the album's got teeth. Lot's of killer guitar riffs and organ. It's good, but it's a marathon. I'm putting it away now, and I'll revisit it next year .

I thoroughly enjoy Part 1. Part 2 has some great shorter songs, but the "epic", while far from "sucking in every single second" just never worked for me as a whole entity. I'm mystified as to why they want to flog that tune in a live setting lately considering all the great material they have. But that's just me.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Gave Part I a few spins over the past few days - I'll go as far and state its an absolute masterpiece to my ears. Yes, masterpiece. Those of you who know me know I don't go around toss that term around on a daily basis. Why? The writing is SO damn hard-hitting and gets under my skin, punches me in the gut and finds a way to my heart, that is why. Cardiacs do this to me, and this album has the same ability to hit me in a similar manner (quite different albums in so many ways mind you). On top of that, the performance is just so wonderful, it has just the "right" rawness to really appeal to my senses. Rikard's voice also sounds beyond wonderful on this album.

Maybe its honeymoon love, but for those of you who don't rate this album, I highly suggest that you go back, thrown on some 'phones, and get lost in the 'Beard and see if you have the same reaction that i do.

^ after living with this album for a few more years, I still stand by that statement. Absolutely phenomenal album.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    ^ after living with this album for a few more years, I still stand by that statement. Absolutely phenomenal album.
    Nice, man.

I'm gonna queue this one up while at work today and give it a listen with some slightly older ears, and see how I feel about it now.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Nice, man.

I'm gonna queue this one up while at work today and give it a listen with some slightly older ears, and see how I feel about it now.
    Do it!

I can't tell you you how much I love "Dark Poet"....it just hits me fuckin' hard. I LOVE that tune. Rikard is quite a composer.

If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

^^^ For real, man. Dark Poet is probably my favorite song from SiT: pt1, and it's the one I've returned to the most over the years. Rikard just nails it on that tune.

I made it through about half of the album while at work today and enjoyed it a lot more than I remembered. I think part of my issue with it was that it came out right after I had gone through a breakup, and I wasn't really able to get mentally invested in that kind of music at the time I guess. But it has definitely opened up since then.

So I dug out Part II after quite a long period without listening to any Beardfish/rikard at all, due among other things to my finding the past couple of Sjöblom outings to be kind of let downs (still high quality of course...). But boy is this a fun album. So many great and original ideas, crisp production values and a smooth flow. His peak in my opinion. Anyone on board with that? What do you feel represents his best material so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Zappyesque View Post
    So I dug out Part II after quite a long period without listening to any Beardfish/rikard at all, due among other things to my finding the past couple of Sjöblom outings to be kind of let downs (still high quality of course...). But boy is this a fun album. So many great and original ideas, crisp production values and a smooth flow. His peak in my opinion. Anyone on board with that? What do you feel represents his best material so far?
    My absolute TOP albums by BF/Rikard so far are Traffic Part I and The Sane Day (probably both tied for 1st), and Traffic Part II (a close second). I honestly really love all of the other albums, including The Void, but they are all just a tad below those other three for me. I also dig the Gungfly albums just not quite on the same level.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

My absolute favorite is Destined Solitaire, which Rikard also said was his favorite one he did with Beardfish when I talked with him at the NJ proghouse hootenany in June. Traffic 1 and 2 have grown on me a lot over the years, though strangely when I got part one back in 2005 or so, I didn't like it and ignored them for the next 5 or 6 years. For some reason, I decided to give them another shot and got DS and Mammoth, loved them both. I have since got everything and like it all, but their last two are probably my least favorite (though both are still quite good and I like them a lot).

Traffic Part 1 has definitely moved up in my rankings though (thanks for making me reassess Frank!), and I really still don't get why I didn't like it back then. The Sane Day is still my second favorite though, with the Traffic 1 and 2 3rd and 4th respectively. I love them all really though, just a matter of degrees.

Another vote for Destined Solitaire. Their peak, methinks. The Sleeping albums have their gems but are a little inconsistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappyesque View Post

You inspired me. Breaking out Part 2 and baking an apple cake for Turkey Day. Peeling apples...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    The Sleeping albums have their gems but are a little inconsistent.
    I feel that is the case more with 2 than 1. I really don't care for the "epic" which is a pretty big chunk of the album.

It's hard for me to choose a favorite Beardfish album since I think there are great tracks on every single one of them. There are usually a couple songs that don't do much for me too. Gun to my head I'd probably pick The Sane Day as my favorite. I think the Gungfly albums have a lot of strong material on them, maybe even some of Rikard's most mature songwriting, but they're arranged differently than the Beardfish albums were. The absence of the BF guys is significant to the result.

My personal favorite is 'The Sane Day', but there are gems throughout. Years ago I made a mix that I would play at work that included 'Blue Moon' because it's one of those things that is both accessible, and good, and it was very well liked. People (non proggers) would sing to it.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    My personal favorite is 'The Sane Day', but there are gems throughout. Years ago I made a mix that I would play at work that included 'Blue Moon' because it's one of those things that is both accessible, and good, and it was very well liked. People (non proggers) would sing to it.
    I think The Sane Day is my favorite too. "Blue Moon" is a great song; I can see it being accessible to people who might not like when Beardfish gets a little more "weird".

Their song "Comfort Zone" is one of the best things they've ever done, IMO.