Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: What five albums define your musical taste and why?

1) Nobuyoshi Koshibe, Mach Go Go Go Music File: Round 1 The soundtrack of Speed Racer, especially the "Mammoth Car" theme...still a favorite after 43 years, for brilliant orchestration, agitation, and heavy syncopation, and a sly 7/4 beat to boot.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHExprbw198

2) John Barry, Themeology Another soundtrack album. Bond is cool, but the ultimate for its Euro-Asian meld and unusual rhythm is the theme from The Persuaders, another 40-year favorite.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ_z4a4rOy4

3) Elton John, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road The ultimate record for high quality, quantity, and variety of pop songcraft in one work.

4) Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here The perfect balance of instrumentation and vocals.

5) Rush, Counterparts The album that captures the most varied cross-section of this personal-favorite band's output.

1) Latte E Miele: Marco Polo (Sogni e viaggi)...The quintessential symph prog composition and arranging
    2) The Respighi Album: Five Great Tone Poems...The type of orchestration I like heavy on the brass
    3) Columbus Indiana Philharmonic: Dupre': Works for Organ, Vol. 3...The finest example of an organ symphony IMO...and I'm very partial to the organ.
    4) Wayne Gratz: Reminiscence...The quintessential collection of solo piano/new age pieces
    5) David Arkenstone: Valley In The Clouds...one of the best compositional new age albums from its heyday.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

This is SO hard to narrow down. Here goes:

The Doors - "Morrison Hotel" (had to pick a Doors album. They got me started regarding taking singing seriously)

Pink Floyd - "The Wall" (this album literally changed me as a person)

Miles Davis - "Bitches Brew" (although there were many Jazz albums that helped open me up to Jazz, I had to pick 1)

Tom Waits - "Blood Money" (I'm not positive, but I think it was on PE that someone tried to insult me by calling me a Tom Waits 'wannabe' & I replied "who's Tom Waits?" To which they proceeded to tell me how great he is, leading me to look him up. I heard "God's Away on Business" first & was instantly hooked)

Okay shoot…. last one. Jeeze, I haven't even listed a single hard rock, or metal album. Oh, I know:

King Crimson - "The ConstruKction of Light" (there are a LOT of King Crimson albums I love, and this one is probably underrated, but I probably listened to that one the most)

Again, it's hard to take 5 albums & say "These are the ones that define me" because we all probably have way more than 5 that actually define us. I picked these because they had significant changes they've caused to me. My list is probably more about the artists themselves than the specific albums. And then branch off into all the genres said artists have been a part of & you start to get a broader idea.
    Last edited by BlueVino; 05-31-2014 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post

Isley Brothers - Winner Takes All (serious Funk jams with excellent lead Guitar work)
    The Isley Brothers had some searing killer guitar work throughout a lot of their catalogue. Fans of melodic guitar solos should check out some of their stuff.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

With alternative choices in '()'

Stomu Yamashta's Go - Fusion music doesn't sell, but it floats my boat. Brings together quite disparate 'voices' (Mahavishnu Orchestra Inner Mounting Flame & RTF Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy)
    Zombies - Odessy & Oracle - I have a weak spot for Colin's voice and this melancholy take on Sgt. Pepper style (Who Sell Out & Pretty Things SF Sorrow- Also Dungen and the Shins!)
    Hatfield and the North - Rotter's Club - The epitome of Canterbury with its musical chops and whimsy (National Health Of Queues & Cures & MOI Uncle Meat)
    Jon Anderson - Olias of Sunhillow - Doesn't have the chops but captures the spiritual in space (Hillage Fish Rising & Yes Tales From Topographic Oceans)
    ELP - Tarkus - Trumps their S/T and BSS (barely) because of the title track and that it hadn't quite left the 60's behind. (KC Lark's Tongue & Osanna Palepoli)
    Hendrix - Axis: Bold as Love - He brought soul to psychedelia and blew my mind with his guitar magic (Quicksilver Messenger Service S/T & Jefferson Airplane After Bathing At Baxter's)

Blah Blah--those are some of my psych hit faves as well. I also like Quicksilver's Fresh Air album a lot.

Fun to read the postings. BlueVino for me I first got into the Doors with Strange Days, which I still really dig. Morrison Motel and Waiting for the Sun reminds me of summer I have a friend whose taste I respect disclosed he didn't care for Miles Davis, I'm not sure his exact reasoning, but I told him that's okay we all enjoy different things, but golly there's a lot of good other musicians on those albums as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    The Isley Brothers had some searing killer guitar work throughout a lot of their catalogue. Fans of melodic guitar solos should check out some of their stuff.

seriously??? this is the first time I can remember you ever in agreement with something I've posted

can I have a hug?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Blah Blah--those are some of my psych hit faves as well. I also like Quicksilver's Fresh Air album a lot.
    That was on the Just For Love album, which is generally not that highly regarded
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Dave Edmunds-Repeat When Neccessary (for the roots-rock itch)

Believe it or not, this was the only album that the staff at my used record shop could agree upon. We had our specialties but we all loved this one and played it a lot.

Rush - Signals/Yes-Close to the Edge: Progressive rock

Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind/Metallica-Master of Puppets: Classic metal

Zeppelin-Physical Graffiti: Classic Hard rock

Grateful Dead - Europe 72/Allmans-Fillmore: Classic Jam band music

Guided by Voices (misc): 80's-90's melodic indie rock

Kristi
    What five albums define my musical taste, and not me as a person (although that is sometimes hard to differentiate- hoenstly they might even be the same), I would have to go with the following:

1. King Crimson - LTIA. This is a solid album of great power and yet still contains elements of fun and melancholy. A terrific combination in my view. Surprising (even after a hundred(?) listens), and skillful.

2. King Crimson- Discipline. This was my first introduction to KC at a pivotal age when I was also introduced to other mind blowing activities. I don't know if there is a correlation, but I found and still find, that I am drawn to repetitive rhythmic music that takes me on a journey. I don't party like I used to, but listening to this album and music like it still puts me back in the place where everything was new and fascinating. I don't like everything that is "just like it" but the feel of the songs and other music like it does appeal to me.

3. Consider the Source- That's What's Up. I heard this band for the first time at Progday two years ago, and they blew me away. Just from the description I was looking forward to their set the whole weekend. They did not disappoint and this album has lots of things I like in music- middle eastern tones, long songs that have a narrative feel - without lyrics even, and craftsmanship in its creation.

4. This is a tie between Necromonkey's Necroplex, Les Rhinocerous' first album, and Gosta Berling Saga's Glue Works. I guess I will make this 4, 5, and 6 and cheat a little. All of these albums are made by musicians that I believe are continually pushing the line, creating something new and even a little dangerous in its beauty. Obvious ties between Necromonkey and Gosta of course, but knowing that all amazing music wasn't just made in 1972, or 1974 or whatever the big year in the 70's was for you, is a real treat. The fact that it is very modern music made in modern times, using conventional and unconventional instruments is very attractive. I like the energy and the feel of all of them.

it's tough. you can ask me again on another day. but here goes, i'll play:

mozart - requiem ----- i can't pick five albums without something from classical and today this one beat Chopin's Piano Concerto 1

marillion - live at loreley ----- the only Marillion album I know that has a good selection from all 4 Fish-era albums -- plus I know it's a good live album

dire straits - alchemy ----- i don't have the words for this right now ----- beautiful is one of them ----- classic classic classic ----- since I omitted Chopin above this also nicely steps in for the romantic category

al dimeola - elegant gypsy ----- i can't pick five albums without something from jazz and i can't pick from jazz without picking an album by Al and if i had to pick one by Al this is it

king crimson - thrak ------ my favorite KC album ------ vrooom, vrooom vrooom, thrak, dinosaur, one time, walking on air, coda marine etc. are all on this

Bruckner - Symphony No.9 (Giulini)
    Rossini - Semiramide (Sutherland, Horne)
    Steve Roach - Origins
    Yes - Relayer
    Transatlantic - Live in Europe
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

5 is completely impossible to define my musical tastes.

To do this right I need to have 5 each; prog, fusion, 20th century classical, prog-metal.

Here is an attempt.

1. PFM - Storia di un Minuto
    One of the most beautiful symph prog albums.

2. Yes - Relayer
    Great intensity in the middle sections of 'Gates...' with one of the best resolutions in all of prog.

3. Gentle Giant - Octopus
    Simply stunning melodies with great complexity.

4. Magma - KA

5. The Thinking Plague - In Extremis
    Brilliant use of atonality.

Just as I thought, an impossible task.

This list could have easily had:

Banco - Io Sono Nato Libero
    Il Baletto di Bronzo - YS
    Genesis - The Lamb
    King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black
    Zappa - One Size
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Crikey - where does one start? Or end, for that matter. Let's have a go anyway:

TD - Phaedra. Started me off on a long, long road of listening to Tangerine Dream (and lots of other similar stuff) which continues to this day. Some godawful noise along the way but many, many highs. Saw TD in London recently and they weren't half bad but not as good as in Dublin in 1980 - ah, those halcyon days!).

ELP -BSS. First album I bought at full price. Naturally, I listened to it to death to get my money's worth! Still love it and of course gave me my entry to this weird and wonderful music that has me posting on this forum.

Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks. What can be said? Once you dip in, it's hard to get back out. Keep on truckin' Bob.

Pat Metheny - Secret Story. Could be any one of a dozen others. Brilliant jazz. As is Weather Report, John Mc and many others.

Ramones - Any of them! But first three are special. Sometimes, when vacillating between prog, electronica, jazz, folk or, indeed any of the many other genres I love, I think, to hell with it, let's just go with The Ramones. Smiles ensue.

This list could have easily had:

Il Baletto di Bronzo - YS

I always found this album a bit impenetrable. Curious what you like about it. I know others enjoy it as well, perhaps for it's complexity. I've given it a few listens but it's yet to sink in.