Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What five albums define your musical taste and why?

Not sure I can define my musical taste, but I can trace my musical evolution.

1-10 years old: Dvorak's New World Symphony (Chicago Symphony), Tchiakovsky's 1812 Overture (Philadelphia Symph w/choir), Copland's Appalachian Spring (New York Philharmonic/Bernstein), and Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue (Philadelphia Symph/Oscar Levant pianist): My mother loved classical music and these were the pieces she loved the most. Being a native Dresdener (was there during the bombings), she was often lonely and homesick in America and would listen to Dvorak often. After a million listens, I still love those pieces.

11 years old: Beatles, Sargeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band: My neighbor turned me on to the Beatles, and I became addicted to them.

12 years old: Blood, Sweat and Tears: Joined the band and played trumpet based on listening to BS&T II and III. Was a big early Chicago fan throughout school, as we perpetually played their songs during marching band.

13 years old: Grand Funk Live: My first concert, and became a huge fan of hard rock n' roll. In The Court Of The Crimson King: My first taste of prog. Went to a friend's house, whose older brother bought this for the cool cover. Put the needle onto the first track and was blown away by this. WTF is THAT, and what's wrong with the singer's voice? Was Lake's vocals the first growl? Immediately cut a half dozen lawns to get the $3.00 to buy this album.

14 years old: Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Went to a party and saw a friend put on side two of the debut album. After a minute of organ music, I asked, "What is this? We are into church music now?" He smiled, then flipped the album over, saying, "I'll show you some church music." Presuming that NO rock band could not have a guitarist, I somehow thought that ELP consisted of Organ, guitar and bass, without drums. After The Barbarian ended, my musical taste has irrevocably changed, and the GFR was rarely pulled out of their sleeves.

15 years old: Spent the summer and fall in Manchester, Vermont, which was quite hippy-dip compared to Florida, and was introduced to James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, and much of the San Francisco sound. Still love it all.

By the time I was 17, my tastes included classical music and the jazz-pop sounds we played in school band, classic rock, and what was later labelled progressive rock. Never got into punk or metal (always considered Black Sabbath classic rock), as I never cared for the angry, angst-ridden lyrics of punk and 1970s/1980s metal. I didn't into other genres until college, with Bruford's One of A Kind, then explored Weather Report, and the rest of Jazz Fusion (also considered Mahavishnu Orchestra rock, because Circus magazine covered them).

Explored jazz in my early 20s, while stationed at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, DC, by frequenting Blues Alley and other jazz spots in the city.

Stuck to that through the mid-1990s. I was flipping through the television and saw a program with James Taylor and some country guy named Garth Brooks. Taylor played a Garth Brooks tune, and it sounded like James Taylor playing a cover, then Garth played Fire and Rain, and I thought he was absolutely amazing! So beginning in 1994, I began listening to country music. Being stationed in San Antonio, the home of George Strait, the music was all around me, yet I never really listened to it (my father was old school country and I hated the stuff as a kid). My attitude was similar to many here until that point, then it changed. Imagine lyrics that actually spoke to people, rather than old school country songs about cheating, lost love, drinking and roses on Momma's grave. the lyrics made more sense than anything Jon Anderson ever put together.

By the late 1990s, I enjoyed listening to Windam Hill New Age, which was perfect for background while I read (began my academic career at this time). I still love New Age - even Yanni!

Started getting into metal in the late 1990s, in my 40s, as I listened to it while running. I preferred the instrumental metal of Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and Eric Johnson, and enjoy it to this day. I suppose one could include some of Dream theater into this as well.

What a wonderful life we have, listeninig to all kinds of creative, soul-enhancing music throughout our lives.

Shostakovich - Symphony no. 10; my real entrée into modernist classical philharmonic music, and still arguably the most powerful work I know of.

Harry Partch - Delusion of the Fury; the creative peak of occidental sonic art.

Bailey/Bennink/Parker - Topography of the Lungs; as free as organic sound can be. "Traditional" avant-garde jazz became accessible and loveable after this.

John Martyn - Bless the Weather; songsmith genius, the mass of pure emotion packed into simplicity refined.

Henry Cow - Western Culture; the most radical release by the most progressive rock group of all time.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Magma- Live. Mind shattering when I first heard it in 1976. Still mind shattering now.

MC5- Live. Because I was there and have never seen a more exciting band.

Jefferson Airplane- Bless It's Point Little Head. Jack Casady. My idol. Say no more.

Soft Machine- Third. Saw them with Hendrix and fell in love, a love that last to this day.

John Coltrane- Transition. This moves me beyond my ability to describe it.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

- Jazz: A Love Supreme and/or Black Saint & Lady Sinner >> both discovered in the 80's...
    - Rock/pop: 12 Dreams of Dr Sardonicus.and/or Crime Of The Century >> Amongst my very first albums ever bought (at 11yo)
    - Blues/rock: Raw Sienna and/or Cricklewood Green >> Not pure blues, I know, but they've been faves of mine for almost 40 years
    - JR/F: Caravanserai and/or Out Of Focus and/or Darius (Graham Collier Music) >> The former içs my gateway into jazz-oriented worlds
    - Folk/rock: First utterances and/or Si On Avait besoin d'une 5è Saison (or the debut) >> Harmonium's debut simply had us flying in lower high school
    Avant/Rio: UZed and/or Génération Sans Futur >> Both discorered in the mid 90's
    - Electronic: Timewind, and/or Ricochet and/or Snowflakes Are Dancing >> the latter was my first non-rock album...
    - Hard/Metal: Rising, Paranoid, In Rock, Sad Wings >> I simply never found better heavy rock... though to be honest, the metal thing fell out of my favours by 81, slowly replaced by jazz

It's probably not all, but as a first thought...
    Last edited by Trane; 05-26-2014 at 03:39 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

This is right off the cuff, but here goes:

Beatles-Blue Album
    Weather Report-Heavy Weather
    Miles Davis-Kind of Blue
    The Meters-Fire on the Bayou/New Directions (tie)
    Stravinsky-Rite of Spring/Firebird

To me, these are all very different types of music.....but I'd have to add a Nikhil Banerjee album, and I suppose Close to the Edge or Yessongs as well....

Yes - Fragile - 1971 - i was 11 when i got this
    Zappa - Apostrophe - 1974 - my brother bought this for me as a present
    Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow - 1975 still hits me the same way
    Return To Forever - Romantic Warrior - 1976 This really hooked me
    David Sancious and Tone - Transformation: The Speed of Love - 1976

Pretty much the definitive albums at the most receptive time in life, like everyone else so many more, and many more genres as well, Beatles, War, Rufus, Tommy Dorsey, Les Paul, UK, Bruford(the band), Dixie Dregs!, Gino Vannelli, Lee Ritenour, Phil Keaggy, Tull, ELP, GG, Toto, Brecker Brothers, Stravinsky, Deep Purple, Edgar Winter Group, Led Zeppelin, King's X, bla, bla, bla......

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I was thinking of starting a thread in a similar vein. Maybe now I'll actually get around to it. Nevertheless...This will indeed be difficult...but here goes:

Peter Brotzmann - Machine Gun; Full Out Sonic Assault.
    Henry Cow - Leg End; I could pick any of their studio albums (sans In Praise Of Learning) but I'll give the tip to the first. The perfect combination of out there and rock. Complex, intricate, and full of sounds.
    Secret Chiefs 3 - Book Of Horizons; Variety.
    Steve Reich - Drumming; Drums, Drums, Percussion, & Drums.
    Bailey/Bennink/Parker - The Topography Of The Lungs; I could probably choose any of these early free-improvisation records, but I'll say this one for the moment. For the experimentation and sound exploration.
    Something by King Crimson; I'm not sure which album to pick. In The Court..., Discipline, Larks' Tongues, Lizard...probably more...could apply. The pinnacle of prog-rock.

That's almost 5.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

The date is when I first heard the album, so they're in chronological order of hearing and thus effect on my musical tastes, and only covering rock/pop:

1973 Pink Floyd - DSOTM - the first prog I actively listened to, when it was played for us by our music teacher at school in 73.
    1977 Queen - News of the World - the first new rock album I ever bought (when it was released) It was my intro to actively listening to heavy rock.
    1978 Neil Young - Harvest - listening to this as a 16 year old in an Italian hippy commune led to so many more bands & singers and some new political thinking (and the 2nd new rock LP I ever bought).
    1978 Kate Bush - The Kick Inside - This totally changed my ideas about what music could be, how excellent music could and should be, and became an instant favourite.
    1989 Cardiacs - The Seaside - This album completely changed my musical tastes forever. Since first hearing Cardiacs, everything else has been in a lower division, and most things that I like are often compared to Cardiacs; so life in the 90s was a constant search for other bands as good as or better than Cardiacs, the search continues, nothing has surpassed Cardiacs yet, but some have come very close - Sleepy People, Stars in Battledress, Poisoned Electrick Head, Detektivbyrån.

Interesting topic and im enjoying reading many of these posts OK, I'll play -- for the record, Im influenced by just about everything I hear so its hard to narrow it down to just 5, but these are the ones that helped "shape" my tastes/a few of these are what introduced me to a certain style without necessarily being my favorite of the genre. Also, as a musician (bass player primarily) what shapes me is what I was mainly influenced by so a lot of these are related to playing:

1) Rush - Moving Pictures -- Although Ethos introduced me to prog, it was this album that really let me hone into Prog bass tone (not just chops). Even over Chris Squire, what Geddy did was more than just notes: it was the way his tone (in particular) sat in the mix, he was able to fill the need of rhythm guitarist and bass player by the thickness of his sound.

2)Duran Duran - Rio -- Perfect example of what I said above: not my fave in the genre but the one that introduced me to other forms of music outside of rock. In my area of Florida at the time, there was a definite (unfortunate) boundary of what was considered "white music" and what was "black music". It was Duran Duran that introduced me to the concept that music was color-blind. This was a huge eye and ear opening experience for me

3)Brothers Johnson - Light Up The Night -- also included are the albums Blam, Right On Time, and Looking Out For #1 -- Louis Johnson was (and still is) my greatest hero and biggest influence on bass

4) Front 242 - Front By Front -- OK, it was Duran Duran that introduced me to other styles outside of rock and, from there, I got introduced to even more diverse styles. It was Front 242's "Front By Front" that introduced me to hard electronic music and composing in a digital realm. It was this album that forged a want and need to learn how to program which eventually led to my recording deal with Cleopatra Records in the mid-90s. Although I thought Frontline Assembly was the better group, this album is probably Front 242's finest work and definitely one of my desert island albums

5) Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record -- This album introduced me to popular music at an early age

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    John Williams-The Empire Strikes Back OST I played this practically daily for a year or two when I was about ten. It was the first album I ever chose for myself and I still enjoy a lot of music that has a sort of cinematic, widescreen feel.

The Beatles-Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. I first heard "A Day In The Life" on the radio when I was about fifteen and it was instant love.

The Who-Who's Next Call it a played out classic rock warhorse type album if you must, but the opening synths of "Baba O' Riley" still make me giddy and this was one of the first albums that showed me that it was possible for a band to rock hard and still deliver intelligent and thoughtful songwriting.

Yes-Yessongs This album was my introduction to the world of "Classic Yes" whose music I still hold as second only to The Beatles

Radiohead-OK Computer. I loved The Bends and went to Tower Records to buy this at midnight on the release date. It still hits me as hard as those great albums from the "classic rock" era.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post

Radiohead-OK Computer. I loved The Bends and went to Tower Records to buy this at midnight on the release date. It still hits me as hard as those great albums from the "classic rock" era.
    That would be my sixth.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^There's been a fair bit of nostalgic coverage of the 'Britpop' thing over here lately. Whilst Radiohead weren't really part of that, nevertheless I've played stuff by them, Blur, Suede, Oasis, Pulp etc. lately and feel it's about a million times better than most of what's gone on in indie-rock over the last ten years or so- there's still an energy about it. Certainly I never cared for the indie-rock that was big in my own teenage years.

Five?! Shit, I hate top five lists. Hard enough to get it down to ten. Last time I did this I managed fifteen. So I'm just posting that and screw the rules.

The Beatles: The White Album. I owned both the Red and Blue albums before this but it was this one where I realized just how weird and wonderful music could be. There are Beatles albums I like better now but this is the one that got played the most.

The Rolling Stones: Hot Rocks. One of my first albums ever and a counter to The Beatles Red/Blue. Whereas Lennon and McCartney always saw the glass as half full, Mick and Keith saw it as half empty and the contents were always black.

Led Zeppelin: IV. I first heard it in a department store in Bumfuck ND when I was barely sporting pubes. I just walked into the electronics section of the store in time to catch Stairway and I was transfixed. Then the side finished and the tone arm went back to the first song on the album. Black Dog sounded like the apocalypse and the second song didn’t exactly let up either. Then the third song invoked Tolkien and I was a goner.

Muddy Waters: Hard Again. After years of cutting my teeth on British rock bands ripping through their own blues I finally decided to take a plunge and try the source material. The opening declaration from Muddy was a plunge into a clear deep pool and one I have never gotten out of.

Bruce Springsteen: Born to Run. I’m a freshman in college and I bought this because of all the hype and I was getting off on that title track that I had heard on the radio. There were a couple of other guys in the room waiting to see if it was worth the hype. I put on side one and we heard Bruce sing “The screen door slams, Mary’s dress sways. Like a vision she dances across the porch as the radio plays”. And my friend Tony whispers, “ah shit, he IS that good”.

Rush: 2112. I first heard about Rush from some Canadian kids – “we got our own Zeppelin, eh”. Then I read an article in Cream about this heavy Canuck band whose new album would have a side-long epic that had a science fiction theme. What I got was a wall of sound that had the precision of Yes and the fury of Zeppelin that culminated in one of the most ferocious and chilling finales in hard rock.

Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon. First played for me by a childhood friend who would come to town every summer to stay with his grandmother. It chilled me to the bone and yet warmed me like a fire – it still can have that effect.

U2 – Boy. It wasn’t the lyrics that grabbed me at first – it was that sound. This guitar that sounded like nothing I’d ever heard – this painful Gaelic screech. There’s this moment where Larry Mullen hits the snare and it sounds like gunfire. Truly out of control.

The Who – Who’s Next. I had other Who albums but that opening to Baba, the scream coda to Won’t Get Fooled Again, the domestic bliss of Love Ain’t For Keeping, the domestic fear of My Wife…it’s unparalleled. I had to get new speakers because of this album.

Jacqueline du Pre – The Elgar Cello Concertos. I first heard it in a video and that sound – that living, breathing epitome of mourning and melancholy grabbed me like nothing has since the first time I heard a Les Paul getting played through a Marshall stack.

Miles Davis – Kind of Blue. In the movie Amadeus, Salieri talks about a piece of Mozart’s music as beginning “so simple, almost comic, just a pulse.” And so this album begins with So What. And it turns into something that still, 50 years on, is transcendent. It’s not my favorite jazz album but it’s the most important.

Porcupine Tree – Stupid Dream. I don’t remember how I stumbled on PT, I had read about them somewhere. But nothing I had read prepared me for Even Less: the ethereal almost whispered opening that then leads to a Who-like wall of sound and then the roller coaster truly begins. And then PT lead me to a host of bands on a similar quest, a music website I obsessively post on, and another world. A door I thought was closed had opened wide.

The Kinks – Kink Kronikles. I was watching TV, probably early high school and I don’t remember the show. The Kinks came on with that Brit way of being twee yet swaggering. Dave Davies looks at the audience like he’d rather stab the lot of them as he delicately puts on his Les Paul and then he sets off the opening blast of Lola. This is the compilation that I bought because of that and it remains one of the best compilations in the history of music.

Van Morrison – Moondance. I came to this album and Van far later than I should have and those were wasted years. Now of course there are Van albums I like better but hearing songs like And It Stoned Me or Caravan for the first time was as transcendent as any experience on this list.

Warren Zevon – Excitable Boy. I almost avoided this because the hype from Rolling Stone magazine was ridiculous but once I heard Werewolves I had to get it. And thus was exposed to the sickest, sharpest mind on the planet and god do I miss his perspective on this world.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Pink Floyd - Animals
    Yes - Going For The One
    Steely Dan - Aja
    King Crimson - Red
    Nash The Slash - Children Of The Night
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I think I found a way into this.

Each of the albums I chose represent an aspect of my musical taste. What I have found in these albums, I have found elsewhere in varying degrees, of course. But the albums below are exemplars of what satisfies me most in music.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
    - Thoughtful, luminous, trippy, heavy, proggy rock

The Residents - The Commercial Album
    - Sheer weirdness, where darkness doesn't overshadow whimsy

3 Mustaphas 3 - Shopping
    - Multicultural magpies that love new, shiny objects from all over the world

King Crimson - Discipline
    - Accessible at first listen, and yet a deep and esoteric well that can be visited again and again

The Hot Club Quintet (w/ Django Reinhardt & Stephane Grappelli) 1936-1937
    - The sheer joy in these recordings
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I'll play.I prefer to list 5 records that turned my head around and made me sit up and take notice of what i heretofore had been ignorant of.

The Who-Live at Leeds-first heard at college-circa late 71.Probably the first record that gave me a clue to the power that rock music could possess(in the right hands).

Miles Davis-Jack Johnson-first heard at my friends house-circa 1975.Jazz-rock, electric jazz, fusion,call it whatchawanna..this record, from the first blast of John McLaughlin's guitar,showed (me) that a new musical direction was on the march.Things were never the same after this record.

Soft Machine Vol.2-first heard,as above-so many threads of advanced musical thought were enclosed in those 33 minutes.Jazz, rock energy, electronics,.It had it all.

Ornette Coleman-Crisis-first heard..as above,same general time frame.Ornette's music, even at its most incendiary,almost always had the element of joy,and seldom strayed far from the blues feeling that grounded the best of the new thing in jazz.Crisis is a monumental album.

Ravi Shankar-Live In London.First heard about 10 years ago or so.This was my introduction to Indian classical (instrumental) music.Ravi Shankar did more than just make Westerners aware of his musical tradition.He altered the sitar, adding an extra bass string.He embraced the Carnatic(South Indian musical tradition),even though he came from the Hindustani(North Indian tradition.He brought the tabla(drum) into the spotlight more than it ever had.He did it all.

As with us all, other records could be listed that had an equal impact.
    Last edited by walt; 05-10-2014 at 04:40 PM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

These are 5 albums that changed the way I perceive music:

1) Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd

2) Led Zeppelin IV

3) Foxtrot - Genesis

4) The YES Album

5) Gone To Earth - David Sylvian

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post

2)Duran Duran - Rio -- Perfect example of what I said above: not my fave in the genre but the one that introduced me to other forms of music outside of rock. In my area of Florida at the time, there was a definite (unfortunate) boundary of what was considered "white music" and what was "black music". It was Duran Duran that introduced me to the concept that music was color-blind. This was a huge eye and ear opening experience for me

4) Front 242 - Front By Front -- OK, it was Duran Duran that introduced me to other styles outside of rock and, from there, I got introduced to even more diverse styles. It was Front 242's "Front By Front" that introduced me to hard electronic music and composing in a digital realm. It was this album that forged a want and need to learn how to program which eventually led to my recording deal with Cleopatra Records in the mid-90s. Although I thought Frontline Assembly was the better group, this album is probably Front 242's finest work and definitely one of my desert island albums

5) Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record -- This album introduced me to popular music at an early age
    Three of my fav albums there Klothos. Synth, new romantics, New Wave synth, goth, EBM, industrial, darkwave, elektro, techno etc. is my fav group of related styles but the absence of a synth LP in my 5 is not due to a lack of influence, but because more so than any other genre it was synth/new romantics etc. that I was hearing at clubs, discos and pubs every weekend when as an 18 year old in 1979 I was able to start going out to such places for a drink. It was the genre of my formative years into adulthood, and so it was hundreds of songs and dozens of great such bands live, heard from DJs in clubs and discos, and heard on the radio and at after hours parties in girls rooms that solidified my love of those 80s styles - Human League, Duran Duran, OMD, Ultravox, Kraftwerk, Soft Cell, Gary Numan & the Tubeway Army, ABC, Spandau Ballet, Icehouse, Roxy Music, The Stranglers, Heaven 17, Depeche Mode, Fiction Factory, Gang of 4, Bauhaus, Arcadia, Black, Magazine, Eurythmics, The Mission, Sisters of Mercy, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, Siouxsie and The Banshees, The Cure, Lene Lovich, Haircut 100, All About Eve, Alien Sex Fiend, Nina Hagen, Landscape and so on......
    Last edited by PeterG; 05-10-2014 at 06:23 PM.

The Beatles-white album (the Beatles were the first band I listened to as a kid and I have fond memories of listening to this sprawled out on the living room floor; at the end of the last song where Ringo whispers "good night" my dad would say to my brother and I something like "ok guys, you heard him goodnight. Time for bed.")

Led Zeppelin- IV(Physical Graffiti would maybe be tied or preferable depending on my mood). LZ was the first band I ever got into not counting the Beatles.

YES- Relayer (It floored me the first time I heard it and it's responsible(almost single handedly)for me getting into prog the way I am today).

Porcupine Tree- Lightbulb Sun (Like all these bands it's hard to chose one album. I remember this album and tour and I have a soft spot for those memories).

RUSH- Hold your fire (Not my favorite by them but it's under rated and the tour was the first time I saw the band. I am pretty sure I now consider RUSH my all time favorite band. Also, I love some of the lyrics on this particularly "look the storm in the eye.")

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Three of my fav albums there Klothos. Synth, new romantics, New Wave synth, goth, EBM, industrial, darkwave, elektro, techno etc. is my fav group of related styles but the absence of a synth LP in my 5 is not due to a lack of influence, but because more so than any other genre it was synth/new romantics etc. that I was hearing at clubs, discos and pubs every weekend when as an 18 year old in 1979 I was able to start going out to such places for a drink. It was the genre of my formative years into adulthood, and so it was hundreds of songs and dozens of great such bands live, heard from DJs in clubs and discos, and heard on the radio and at after hours parties in girls rooms that solidified my love of those 80s styles - Human League, Duran Duran, OMD, Ultravox, Kraftwerk, Soft Cell, Gary Numan & the Tubeway Army, ABC, Spandau Ballet, Icehouse, Roxy Music, The Stranglers, Heaven 17, Depeche Mode, Fiction Factory, Gang of 4, Bauhaus, Arcadia, Black, Magazine, Eurythmics, The Mission, Sisters of Mercy, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, Siouxsie and The Banshees, The Cure, Lene Lovich, Haircut 100, All About Eve, Alien Sex Fiend, Nina Hagen, Landscape and so on......
    No explanation needed: This is why I thought this thread was interesting, because it said to list albums that defined my musical taste. In my case, I am listing this as a personal musical evolution as opposed to the pinnacle of what defines me. I love Rio by Duran Duran - it was the one that helped "shape who I am today" and thats why I listed it but ABC's "The Lexicon of Love" will always be my personal pinnacle album from the early 80s New Romantic period....without Duran Duran, I would have never bothered to listen to ABC

I'll inevitably forget something, but here goes ...

1. Beethoven's 9th, by the Philadelphia Orchestra. I was just a kid, but I went through a classical phase. Who knows why; maybe it was from seeing how much Schroeder liked Beethoven in the Peanuts comic. Still, I sat and listened attentively when I was probably no more than 8 or 9 years old. Definitely opened up my appreciation for forms of music outside the mainstream rock genre, and probably helped prime me for prog.

2. Pink Floyd, Ummagumma. I've shared this story many times -- I bought Ummagumma at a neighbor's garage sale for 50 cents. I couldn't have been more than 9 years old, and I didn't know the first thing about Pink Floyd or prog. I just liked the cover, and I thought the song titles were neat. The song lengths and movements within some of them probably made me think of classical music. I listened to it, after cleaning off the dried chicken crap on the vinyl (our neighbors were farmers!), and couldn't believe my ears. I was perplexed, intrigued, exhilarated, and -- when Roger Waters' scream came around on "Careful With That Axe, Eugene" -- terrified. Mind-blowing stuff for a little kid.

3. Yes, Close to the Edge. I'd become a Yes fan with 90125 and worked backward into their proggy music. CttE wasn't the first album I bought from the back catalog, but when I heard it, it cemented me as a Yes fan for life. The opening nature sounds, the frenetic intro, the cryptic lyrics, the pipe organ ... it all combined to blow me away like no other piece of music ever had. Jon's lyrics led me to read Siddhartha, which in turn opened up new avenues of spirituality to me.

After that it gets a lot tougher, because there are so many different types of music I enjoy.

4. Beck: Odelay. I love how Beck was able to meld so many disparate styles of music into a cohesive whole, and ended up sounding like no one else. Very representative of my own eclectic tastes in music. I love bands that bend and blend genres, like Diablo Swing Orchestra.

5. The Beatles: white album. I don't remember which Beatles song or album I heard first, but I've always loved the scattershot approach they took to this album (speaking of eclecticism). It's probably not my favorite Beatles album (that would most likely be Abbey Road), but I think it's a great display of how many directions their music could shoot off in and still be utterly amazing.

Will like many others, gripe about the sadomasochistic chopping required to give a list of five...these are all from 69 to 73 and to a large degree might be seen as building blocks for stuff in another criminally short list of five for post 73' albums:
    -The Who, Live At Leeds
    -Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica
    -FZ, Hot Rats
    -Mahavishnu Orchestra, Inner Mounting Flame
    -King Crimson, Larks Tongues In Aspic

1 - The Beatles Help and Dave Clark 5 Glad All Over - I'm cheating a bit here by listing two albums but these were both played constantly by my older siblings. Really the first albums I knew of.

2 - Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon - I never heard anything like this before. Introduced me to more instrumental music. It has layers, depth and can still surprise. By far the album I've played the most and I never tire of it.

3 - Chicago 7 and Elton John Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Within these pop rock classics are a multitude of different musical styles, many of which I checked out. Made me a lifelong fan of both.

4 - Tangerine Dream Thief - I asked a buddy if he had any instrumental music that is kind of like PF. Thief was what he gave me. Hooked, and investigated a boatload electronic, instrumental groups albums.

5 - Music from Bugs Bunny cartoons - Not an album so I'm bending the rules again but all of the classical music gave me a deep appreciation of the genre.

King Crimson - Red
    ELP - Brain Salad Surgery
    Yes - Close To The Edge
    Genesis - Seconds Out
    Jethro Tull - A Passion Play

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The Beatles: The White Album. I owned both the Red and Blue albums before this but it was this one where I realized just how weird and wonderful music could be. There are Beatles albums I like better now but this is the one that got played the most.

The Rolling Stones: Hot Rocks. One of my first albums ever and a counter to The Beatles Red/Blue. Whereas Lennon and McCartney always saw the glass as half full, Mick and Keith saw it as half empty and the contents were always black.

Interesting thought... I'd say Hot Rocks would be equal more to Blue (easily superior to the Red album), IMHO than Red... Not only by the time-span cover... In Either case, if I find Hot Rocks all the more essential than either Blue or Red

I'm much less familiar with More Hot Rocks, so I won't compare it to the Red comp, but MHR is definitely much less interesting to Blue, Red and HR, IMHO...
    But is the MHR's timespan about equal to Red?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.