Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Page, Plant & Jones On Letterman Monday 12/3

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    ..... talk shows have to go!
    Agreed. They're so 70s....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Not only is Dave "phoning it in", he even admits it, using it to generate cheap laughs. I'm sorry but deliberately getting people to "laugh at you" rather than "laugh with you" is pathetic. It's the reason why I never liked the likes of Andy Kaufman, Chris Farley, etc.

And turning bad material around so that it was funny was something Johnny was great at. I remember one show where a joke during the monologue flopped, so he reaches up to the boom mic pulls it down, and goes "testing, one, two...clean up in aisle 9!". That was funny.

But Dave, half the time, can't even tell the jokes right. He either screws up the setup, says the wrong name, or messes up the punchline. And he carries on likes it's a live show, like he couldn't just do another take and edit out the clam. Last night, he had a guy who is in a new movie called The Promised Land (did anyone notice the band played the Chuck Berry that song of that name when the guest came out?), and Dave refers to the movie title as "Graceland". It was funny when back in the NBC days, because he only did it occasionally. But now he does it nearly every night.

And then there's long endless stories like he's tell before, or sometimes in place of, the top 10 list. I have the understanding they do a top 10 list every night, but Dave gets so wrapped up in telling his occasionally funny, but more often completely boring, there's no time to air the top 10 list. One night, he had Michelle Obama read a top ten list. Since the top ten list had a gardening theme (I think tying into a book the First Lady had just written or something like that), Dave launches into this stupid story about how his family had a garden when he was growing up. He goes on and on about the vegetables his parents grew, yada yada yada. Well, he went on so long (and he even noted this later) that they didn't have time to air all of Mrs. Obama's piece (which was pre-recorded) during the segment. At the end of the bit, Dave was supposed to thank her, and she was supposed to say goodnight. Well, they had to save that bit for after the commercial break.

Now, if Dave had been smart, he'd have ditched the stupid story, and if he was really smart, he'd have not drawn attention to the fact that Mrs. Obama's part of the show was pre-recorded. He'd have just played it as if he was actually speaking to her live via satellite.

The thing is, when the writers are delivering funny material, and Dave behaves like he actually showed up for rehearsal, the show is still funny. But it's like he's realized that CBS isn't going to drop the hammer on him, so he's under no pressure to do a consistent program.
    Couldn't have said it better.

And when the interviewer fucks up the interview, the replies from the interviewee are usually about as lame. Hence - we could have learned a LOT more about LZ, but didn't because of a pathetically weak interview.

Quote Originally Posted by malterb View Post
    First thing I learned in journalism class was that the audience want to hear the person being interviewed talk, not the interviewer. Ask good shoort questions, Letterman rambled on.
    This is why I desperately hate watching interviews by people like Katie Couric (and many others, but she's the worst). They'll make a position statement for 5 minutes, then ask the interviewee if they agree.

I want to hear the guest, not an overpaid, self-opinionated interviewer!
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    Not to defend Letterman's poor performance last night, but I got the impression that the guys from LZ did not appear to be that comfortable being interviewed and showed up just to please the record company releasing their latest offering. Plant's jockeying for the outside chair to let Jones take most of the questioning during the interview appeared to be his way to create a buffer between him and Letterman.
    I wondered about that. Plant has appeared on Letterman many times and they've always appeared to get along. In interviews he gets the most questions because he's the most gregarious of the three. I suspect he was just giving Jonesy and Page a chance to get their 3 cents in other than seeing their lead singer blather on as usual.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by malterb View Post
    First thing I learned in journalism class was that the audience want to hear the person being interviewed talk, not the interviewer. Ask good shoort questions, Letterman rambled on.
    Yeah, good point. The run on question that got the "How many nos do you want" response was a good example of Dave just not knowing how to do the job right. Plant kinda touched on it, but it would have been nice if either Page or JPJ had talked a bit about their days as session musicians, which kinda did fit the "Did you play with any of your contemporaries" clause of the question.

But the worst musician interview I've ever seen is still the Regis and Kathie Lee appearance back around 93 or 94 of Bill Bruford and Steve Howe. A lot of people talk about the miserable version of Roundabout they played, but the interview was equally unbearable. First of all they introduce Howe as an "original member of Yes", then we have to get a dissertation on what "original member" means, as if nobody in the audience understands the concept of musicians leaving bands and the being replaced. Then we get the bit where they start showing the album covers, which looked to have been bought the afternoon before at a used record store. At one point, Regis says "You guys had a really dark image". No they didn't, Regis, and you would know that if you'd actually done some research on your guests beforehand!

Of course, my personal favorite interview is the Kiss appearance on The Tomorrow Show with Tom Snyder, back in 79. That could have also been a dull interview, but thankfully, Ace downed an entire case of Peppermint Schnapps before the show, and saved the day (even if he did piss Gene off in the process).

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    it's not the hosts...... talk shows have to go!
    Then don't watch them. Not sure why they have to go, I quite like seeing interviews like these.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

This is why I desperately hate watching interviews by people like Katie Couric (and many others, but she's the worst). They'll make a position statement for 5 minutes, then ask the interviewee if they agree.
    I have to totally agree with you on Couric. What's her talent exactly? And she makes millions. Great gig if you can get it, and the only ability needed is to read a telepromter or ask dopey questions. She's apparently great at the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Anyone want to actually discuss the interview, and not your views on Dave? I thought it was pretty cool to see, and they defintiely have a sense of humor about themsleves these days. They appeared more down to earth than I've ever seen. I guess old age has mellowed them and they are more comfirtible with who they are and what their legacy is. I didn't think they looked unconfortible at all, they seemed to enjoy themselves.
    ^what he said

The boys certainly seemed relaxed. Jones was more talkative than we've seen before. Page has gotten more reflective with age but still passionate about the music. His scenes in It Might Get Loud were great, especially in that music room of his.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart