Thread: Roller coasters and other freaky rides

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar

Roller coasters and other freaky rides

It's almost time...

"Alienated-so alien I go!"

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Those look awesome. Not a fan of spin-n-flip rides but love coasters.

Me dont do dem. Me get sick an me think neck break. No thankee.

Last time I rode a coaster and really enjoyed it was at Busch Gardens Tampa around 20 years ago. The name of the coaster had some ominous, African sounding name like, Big Black Mombassa (or something like that. I'm making that up but it sounded similar to that). It was an inverted coaster where your feet are dangling and you're hanging under the rails. You're literally flying. Fabulous! Today I'd probably have a heart attack or a stroke if I rode that thing.

I used to love hairy roller-coasters but my old age has rendered me a motion-sickness-prone puss.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Last time I rode a coaster and really enjoyed it was at Busch Gardens Tampa around 20 years ago. The name of the coaster had some ominous, African sounding name like, Big Black Mombassa (or something like that. I'm making that up but it sounded similar to that). It was an inverted coaster where your feet are dangling and you're hanging under the rails. You're literally flying. Fabulous! Today I'd probably have a heart attack or a stroke if I rode that thing.
    I think you mean the Big Bad Wolf. It's a coaster that takes you through the path of the wolf, running through villages and then down a steep incline towards the water.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Love roller coasters. At 60, I still love the thrill. Even the old, rickety, wooden ones like the Yankee Cannonball at Canobie Lake Park in New Hampshire are exhilarating.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I can still do wooden coasters but only pretty mellow metal ones.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I think you mean the Big Bad Wolf. It's a coaster that takes you through the path of the wolf, running through villages and then down a steep incline towards the water.
    there's Montu:

The Big Bad Wolf was in Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Also gone-Drachen Fire:

in case roller coasters aren't your thing:

Bush Gardens, Six Flags, Disney World, all great places, but the ride I remember most was at the NY State Fair many a year ago, maybe I was 12 at the time. It was called 'The Wild Mouse' IIRC. It was more of a carney ride, being maybe a 20 x 20x 20 cage with individual cars running on a track. The track works it's way down multiple levels, back and forth, twisting and turning. More like crashing and burning ! Sure, it sounds pretty lame. But once inside, you got the shake, rattle, and roll of your life ! Slamming into walls while making 90 degree turns, sudden stops and drops, flashing lites, etc. But that wasn't the scary part. Oh, no. Feeling the wheels come off the track on turns and slamming back down gets your attention. That along with the whole cage moving, braces and supports twisting and turning, no shortage of rattling noises like nuts and bolts loose everywhere! Getting bounced around was almost like getting a free concussion along with the ride ! Yeah, it was great ! But it was the first time I didn't want to get right back on a ride !!!

They had one of those in Pittsburgh when I was a kid. It was like riding a full-sized Tinkertoy. Plus the car was twice as wide as the track so you hung off the side. That think was scarey.

I'm getting naseaus just looking at some of these vid's
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Just the other day I saw a news report on this dad who built a roller coaster in his back yard for/with his son:

Check out the other vid he posted, also.

We have a small Six Flags here in Montreal. I never go because my girlfriend is teriffied of rides. These new coasters look amazing though!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

About 6 years ago, Kay & I were at Disney World, and I convinced her to ride the Aerosmith indoor roller coaster ride, which (if you've never ridden it) is pitch black except for the rock n' roll lights & Tyler soundtrack. It comes out of the gate 0-60 in 4 seconds.

As soon as we were out of the gate, I yelled at Kay something like "Whaddya' think?". Kay is a retired dean from the Univ of Wis. She replied (in a frenzied scream), "you f*****g asshole, are you trying to kill me?"

It was fun for me, but I took shit for days..
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Just the other day I saw a news report on this dad who built a roller coaster in his back yard for/with his son:
    Wow, that's brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    About 6 years ago, Kay & I were at Disney World, and I convinced her to ride the Aerosmith indoor roller coaster ride, which (if you've never ridden it) is pitch black except for the rock n' roll lights & Tyler soundtrack. It comes out of the gate 0-60 in 4 seconds.

As soon as we were out of the gate, I yelled at Kay something like "Whaddya' think?". Kay is a retired dean from the Univ of Wis. She replied (in a frenzied scream), "you f*****g asshole, are you trying to kill me?"

It was fun for me, but I took shit for days..
    Sounds like Disney's old Spacemountain ride there .....

I don't do spinny-things as it give me a headache, but as to coasters, they haven't built one that I wouldn't try. As Emo Phillips said, you can make any rollercoaster more scary by throwing a bunch of loose nuts and bolts on each seat.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I can still do wooden coasters but only pretty mellow metal ones.
    I love coasters but I've shied away from the wooden ones after a total beatdown from this one. I was sore for days.

The Boss - Six Flags at St. Louis

I'm more into ones like these two at Branson...Wildfire and Powder Keg. keeps my body parts where they belong.

i.ain't.dead.irock