Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Obligatory "Bands For Rosfest 2015" Thread

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Especially agree with D Bliss, particularly if they can also morph into State Cows, a D Bliss side project that owes a big debt to Steely Dan, and strongly has that "summer Dan vibe". I actually listen to Cows more than Bliss.
    Interesting. Hadn't heard of this. Thanks, Steve!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Another dose of Starcastle would be music to my ears!

Got so caught up with the Swedes (Dynamo Bliss/State Cows) that I forgot to vociferously concur with the Canada tandem of Half Past Four & Druckfarben as well!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Bigelf, The Windmill, Kingbathmat, Lifesigns, Lee Abraham, Salem Hill, Syzygy, Martigan and..............ECHOLYN

OK, how about this?

Haken
    District 97
    Anglagard - not likely, but what the heck
    Morglbl
    Spock's Beard w/Ted Leonard
    Glass Hammer
    Vanden Plas
    The Tangent
    Echolyn
    Thieves Kitchen

Works for me anyway....

I only know that they all have to sound somewhat like the "big six" or an enhancement thereon.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    Haken are long overdue at this fest, as are Druckfarben and a return of Spock's with their new singer Ted Leonard. Anathema as well. Honestly, so many are in this category that I went on the Prog Cruise this year instead to enjoy many bands I otherwise have no chance of seeing live, and it was totally worth it! But I owe much of my revitalized prog library to Rosfest and look forward to what they can cook up for next year. I imagine Big Big Train will finally arrive at the station sooner or later...hell, the train station is right down the block!
    These are all great recommendations. Since Enchant is going to be finally realeasing an album, they would also be perfect.
    Don Cassidy
    President, Interviewer, DJ, Artist Promo contact
    Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio
    www.deliciousagony.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I only know that they all have to sound somewhat like the "big six" or an enhancement thereon.
    What does this mean?

Who are the "big" six?

Well...as was noted before, I'll be there for the atmosphere and whatnot, so the band choices are secondary. That being said...

IMHO both Zombi and Mark McGuire (ex-Emeralds guitarist) would be interesting Friday night picks.

George would be my best friend forever if he were to bring Chrome Hoof over. But that's serious fantasy indulgence there.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

And you would be wrong. Thank You Scientist went over really well at Rosfest this year. Tell me which classic prog band they sound like?

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    And you would be wrong. Thank You Scientist went over really well at Rosfest this year. Tell me which classic prog band they sound like?
    The comment was certainly not adressed to the festival itself, which I'm sure is keeping up more than well enough. I suppose that once upon a time one could wish for a somewhat more eclectic wantlist for a "progressive rock" event - but now? I seriously doubt it.

Oh, and I quite like TYS, so there you go.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

BOB............don't light the fuse!
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post

George would be my best friend forever if he were to bring Chrome Hoof over.
    Mine too.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post

George would be my best friend forever if he were to bring Chrome Hoof over. But that's serious fantasy indulgence there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Mine too.

Indeed.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Indeed.
    Chrome Hoof would be Awesome! Even if not at RosFest, just somewhere I could get to.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

well...Chrome Hoof is obviously the winner in this poll!

The people have spoken!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    well...Chrome Hoof is obviously the winner in this poll!

The people have spoken!
    I know you're being facetious, but this would get me to ROSfest in a heartbeat.

Banned
    This will never happen, Mike Oldfield
    Rick Wakeman
    Reunite the Tony Levin Band
    Kenso
    Flying Colors
    Steve Morse Band and Dixie Dregs
    A reunion of Eric Johnson and the Electromagnets

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I know you're being facetious, but this would get me to ROSfest in a heartbeat.
    I'm seeing Emmett soon so I'll ask him. Chrome Hoof are amazing live.

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    I think you should have Lifesigns , they were due this year but I believe visa issues meant it wasnt possible. If you cant have Big Big Train how about Tin Spirits with Dave Gregory in the band, we have a new album with them in the Autumn and I think they would go down well and Matt Stevens would be a great one for you and hes dead easy--its just him! and would I am sure appeal to many.
    I'd LOVE to play Rosfest, and I only need one plane ticket for me. Just a guitar and a loop pedal

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Thinking Plague, Free Salamander Exhibit, Atomic Ape, Diablo Swing Orchestra.

A man can have a dream.
    add KBB, Anglagard, One Shot, Djam Karet, Niacin, Asturias and I'm SO there!!!
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 05-10-2014 at 01:24 AM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

SETNA......go out onto the limb like Lazuli, Thank You Scientists, Eyestrings, ect.

The comment was certainly not adressed to the festival itself, which I'm sure is keeping up more than well enough. I suppose that once upon a time one could wish for a somewhat more eclectic wantlist for a "progressive rock" event - but now? I seriously doubt it.

Oh, and I quite like TYS, so there you go.
    I don't mean to sound annoyed, it's just that the Rosfest reputation and the reality are two different things. It's not exactly the safe "neo-fest" some make it out to be. The organizers have made an effort to branch out a bit. There were 3 neo bands on the bill this year, Clepsydra, which really is a "neo-by-numbers" type of band, rather predictable and fit the stereotype. Then there was Elephants of Scotland, which are on the heavier, edgier end of neo, and have a nice mix of sound textures. Then there was Collage, who took neo to a higher level, they really mastered it. To me they kind of re-defined neo in the 90's. Beyond these three, I would say none of the lineup could be so easily defined. And that has been the case for the past few RF's. And thanks to this, the fest is still thriving, even with the added competition of the cruises.

Plus, I was under the impression that ROSfest was conceived as a solidly symph oriented fest. It was never meant to be as eclectic as NEARFest. That's simply the way they roll. They do seem to be branching out somewhat in the wake of NF's demise.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Plus, I was under the impression that ROSfest was conceived as a solidly symph oriented fest. It was never meant to be as eclectic as NEARFest. That's simply the way they roll. They do seem to be branching out somewhat in the wake of NF's demise.
    That is a perception, not a fact. My impression was that Nearfest went for the big dollar symph and prog bands, and RIO. ROSfest has not had a RIO band as far as I know.