Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Non-Moog synth solos

What was Eloy's rig in the mid-70s? They're a weird band because they're almost completely uninteresting to me musically, but their synth arrangements are so seductive I always enjoy listening to them. Ethereal floating mono-synth melodies never sounded better. They continue to nail that sound on the new live album

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    What was Eloy's rig in the mid-70s? They're a weird band because they're almost completely uninteresting to me musically, but their synth arrangements are so seductive I always enjoy listening to them. Ethereal floating mono-synth melodies never sounded better. They continue to nail that sound on the new live album
    Not sure about the earlier albums, but Performance is all, or mostly, Oberheim stuff. I have the same feeling about Eloy being sort of uninteresting musically, but I keep performance because it's one of the best examples of Oberheim gear and great synth tone I've ever heard. Actually, I've sort of grown to like that album a bit, but it isn't really like the earlier Eloy stuff. It's more straightforward musically, which for me works better for them than their "Proggy" stuff which I find a bit aimless. Great synth tones, though, I'll give them that.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Oh, and I wouldn't say the difference only matters in a repair shop.
    You are off course right - for the musician it can make a hell of a difference. A set of sounds and possibilities, and other things like looks, build, price, reputation, can be the reason you choose the instrument, etc.
    what I meant was - the listener doesnt really care weather its a moog, juno, novation, oberheim, EMS, PPG, etc., what matters in the end is what the artist does with it.

I love those sounds, and the solo is just ....

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    You are off course right - for the musician it can make a hell of a difference. A set of sounds and possibilities, and other things like looks, build, price, reputation, can be the reason you choose the instrument, etc.
    what I meant was - the listener doesnt really care weather its a moog, juno, novation, oberheim, EMS, PPG, etc., what matters in the end is what the artist does with it.
    Yeah, you're right about that. Maybe next time we have one of these threads, the subject title should be "favorite synth solo", then we could dispense between the differentiation between Moog, ARP, Oberheim, etc, and stop using "Moog" as a synonym for "synthesizer".

So MANY MANY MANY great synth solos - especially in jazz - done on a Sequential Circuits Prophet V and not one mentioned in this thread yet and its already on Page 2.....Thread FAIL

(trurl referenced it in a correction -- that doesnt count...Guitar Geek Mentioned it in Passing about "Let's Go")

OK, fine: Any synth solo by T. Lavitz. Prophet 5. Happy?? And Lyle Mays: Oberheim. Doesn't matter which one, he programmed that same flutey sound into all of them. It was nice though. And Wayne Famous (The Producers), Oberheims, various. Let's cite him for Dear John.

George Duke on Inca Roads... anybody know what kind of synth he plays there? killer solo!

Quote Originally Posted by thos View Post
    George Duke on Inca Roads... anybody know what kind of synth he plays there? killer solo!
    White face ARP Odyssey, or at least that's what he's playing in the TV special that was shot around that time. If I remember correctly, it didn't air at the time, but bits of it were used on the Dub Room Special video, and more recently, I think the whole thing came out on DVD.

Wayne Famous I read had back problems from wearing his Oberheim OB-X around his neck. I wonder if anyone said "Dude, I think that's a bad idea!" to him when he started doing it. Certainly that intro on She Sheila is pretty cool.

Oh, and apart from the brief mentions me and trurl made about the Prophet 5, I did say it was one of the likely candidates used for the solos on If You Were Here and Doctor Doctor by The Thompson Twins.

One of my favorites is the one that Joost van der Broek plays on Ayreon's "Day Two." When I saw Joost playing live with After Forever, I got the opportunity to talk to him after the show and to tell him that to his face.

On a side note, that must be a weird experience for a musician, to come into contact with some dude half a world away who is not only aware of a 30-second solo you played on a fairly obscure album but was deeply touched by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Not sure about the earlier albums, but Performance is all, or mostly, Oberheim stuff. I have the same feeling about Eloy being sort of uninteresting musically, but I keep performance because it's one of the best examples of Oberheim gear and great synth tone I've ever heard. Actually, I've sort of grown to like that album a bit, but it isn't really like the earlier Eloy stuff. It's more straightforward musically, which for me works better for them than their "Proggy" stuff which I find a bit aimless. Great synth tones, though, I'll give them that.
    There’s a photo of them on stage during the Folberth/Arkona era in the booklet to the remastered Planets CD. The only recognizable synth is an ARP Pro-DGX! I’d not be surprised if there were some Oberheim stuff in their rig, possibly Prophet or Roland stuff, too. That era was a sort of “How to” for how to use polyphonic synths in prog (see also: the UK albums).

Detlev Schmidtchen used an Eminent Solina (usually mis-labeled as a Mellotron in liner notes!) and an RMI Keyboard Computer as his main polyphonic axes alongside the Hammond (an M-3, I believe). He definitely had a Mini-Moog which he used a ton.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    There’s a photo of them on stage during the Folberth/Arkona era in the booklet to the remastered Planets CD. The only recognizable synth is an ARP Pro-DGX! I’d not be surprised if there were some Oberheim stuff in their rig, possibly Prophet or Roland stuff, too. That era was a sort of “How to” for how to use polyphonic synths in prog (see also: the UK albums).

Detlev Schmidtchen used an Eminent Solina (usually mis-labeled as a Mellotron in liner notes!) and an RMI Keyboard Computer as his main polyphonic axes alongside the Hammond (an M-3, I believe). He definitely had a Mini-Moog which he used a ton.
    I'm A HUGE fan of the synths on Planets, as well as the bass playing. The way the synth lines interweave through most of the songs is unique.

This is not Moog or synth but musitron :o)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziLag...etailpage#t=69
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”