Thread: Winger - "Tin Soldier" (new single, very proggy)

Winger - "Tin Soldier" (new single, very proggy)

I know Winger has been the butt of jokes, but they've always had excellent musicianship. To my surprise (and delight), they've released a full out prog track as their new single. Kip Winger says this track was influenced by King Crimson, and features two opposing time signatures. Of course, it shouldn't be that surprising, considering that Rod Morgenstein of the Dregs is their drummer. But I don't believe the band has ever drifted this far into prog territory. It sounds great to me, and I'll be curious to hear what the rest of the album sounds like. What do you think?

I'll give it a listen. I have their 'Pull' album and think it's really rather good, with some more intricate arrangements and a heavier feel. I know they became a 'punchbag' but there were tons of worthy targets in that particular era, so why they were singled out isn't clear. Even from the few 80s songs of theirs I know, I like 'Miles Away' more than anything I ever heard by Poison or Warrant.

That ain't half bad...

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

wow -very good - thanks for posting that.

Holy cow, that IS good. More of that, I ask you!

I always thought Kip Winger and Rod Morgenstein were on the edge of prog, both having played with Jordan Rudess and all, and it's cool to see them branch out in their main band.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Very good stuff, thanx 4 posting. Saw them on their first tour more years ago than I can believe! Really cool to still know that Rod is still around, such a force in the Dregs.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by devoidzer0 View Post
    I'll be curious to hear what the rest of the album sounds like.
    You may be disappointed if you're seeking more prog tunes--

"Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

We covered some Winger ground here:

WINGER

The new CD has a few good tracks. I'm liking it just fine!