Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Prog in unlikely places

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    But then again I can only name one Kardashian or no one from any reality show.
    Nobody would've heard of the Kardashians, but for the OJ Simpson trial. Of which Robert was a participant.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Nobody would've heard of the Kardashians, but for the OJ Simpson trial. Of which Robert was a participant.
    But, wasn't it some illicit video with the large-assed one that launched their infamy, just like that tramp Paris Hilton?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    But, wasn't it some illicit video with the large-assed one that launched their infamy, just like that tramp Paris Hilton?
    I didn't see the former but saw the latter... meh. Very meh

The only reason anyone cared about that video was Kim is Robert's daughter. I'd defy you to find anyone who hasn't heard of the Hilton Hotel chain.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    The only reason anyone cared about that video was Kim is Robert's daughter. I'd defy you to find anyone who hasn't heard of the Hilton Hotel chain.
    Perhaps, but without the video, I'm not convinced she would be who she is today. That was the spark that created the festering, toxic wildfire that is The Kardashians.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Boy, this thread went way off target!

So, I got a job at the Climate Pledge Arena in Seattle. I work a few days a month & they pay us to watch hockey & concerts…great gig.
    Anyway, I go in the equipment room to get my vest for work. It’s an ushering job. When I walk into the room, Jethro Tull is cranked up on the stereo! Stunned, I asked the equipment guy, Carl, if he was into Prog? He said , “Yeah” & a new friendship bloomed. Pretty cool. We’ve been trading CDs and stuff ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The eons are closing
    rock!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I just heard the organist at Yankee Stadium playing In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida.

I just heard the organist at Yankee Stadium playing In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida.
    Did he play the entire organ solo?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Did he play the entire organ solo?
    Just the main riff. It was only a rallying snippet.

Apologies if it was mentioned earlier, but I was watching Beautiful Boy starring Steve Carrell and
    a good amount of Pavlov's Dog was playing during a pivotal scene.
    ("Of Once And Future Kings" from the Pampered Menial album)

^ That kind of reminds me of this one (from a cartoon). https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/319317
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Strange that the sign is still there since it closed down over 4 years ago now.

Edit: I'm not sure we are thinking of the same place since I don't remember it being near any strip mall. I remember it being in residential neighborhood in the back of a building and you couldn't see the sign from any main road I don't think. But maybe they moved at one point. Not sure.
    Prism 1.jpgPrism 2.jpg The one (Prism) that I see is on Main Street (Rt 63) very near the YMCA. Here are a couple of pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Twelfth Earl of Mar View Post
    Prism 1.jpgPrism 2.jpg The one (Prism) that I see is on Main Street (Rt 63) very near the YMCA. Here are a couple of pictures.
    Thanks. Yeah, I guess that's the same place. Thanks for sharing those pictures.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Although there was no music involved, it was nice to see Woody Harrelson a couple of times wearing a Pink Floyd t-shirt (The Division Bell-artwork) in 2 chapters of the first series of True Detective.
    (see: https://www.google.com/search?q=%22t...BPep9u8PvqWPUA )

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Today in the supermarket they played a Muzak version of a New Order song! Now THAT was a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Today in the supermarket they played a Muzak version of a New Order song! Now THAT was a surprise.
    I once heard See No Evil by Television in Walgreens. Another time it was My Generation by The Who (with the unedited freakout at the end). And a few months ago, I heard Blitzkrieg Bop at a grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I once heard See No Evil by Television in Walgreens. Another time it was My Generation by The Who (with the unedited freakout at the end). And a few months ago, I heard Blitzkrieg Bop at a grocery store.
    I remember hearing "action" by Sweet in a grocery store on a couple of occasions I think. That's one you don't really hear much.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Since we seem to be drifting into “unexpected deep cuts that aren’t necessarily prog” territory, there was this place (and it may have been the same thrift store where I heard Caravan’s “Love to Love You”) where I heard Kiki Dee’s “The Day Will Come Between Sunday and Monday”—a track off of her Motown album that pre-dates her association with Elton John—multiple times. I know it technically was a “hit,” but not a very big one, and I certainly have not heard it on the radio (mind you, I was in diapers in 1970).
    EDIT: It was actually her version of Deon Jackson’s “Love Makes the World Go Round” that was her chart hit at Motown, not TDWCBSAM. Which makes it doubly strange that this should be the song they should choose to drop into their rotation!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I’m hearing And You And I in an airport right now!

-noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Ok, now they’re playing Closer to the Heart.

-noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

We hardly ever go out for breakfast, but on Tuesday this week my sister had to have a medical procedure and be at the hospital early in the morning, so my wife and I decided to catch breakfast at a local favorite called The Crow’s Nest. It near where many WMU students live, so gets a lot of students and people who work for the university. Anyway……..they were playing music over their speaker system and I started noticing that it was pretty interesting stuff, but nothing like what you would normally hear in a restaurant. I tried to place what it was, but was stumped, so I turned on my Shazam app on my phone. To my surprise the music being played was from the German Kraut Rock band Can. It was certainly not anything I had ever heard in a restaurant before!

^Wow. I'm actually a little surprised you didn't recognize the Can track. I'm not really an expert on them either though. Do you know which song it was by them?

I use shazam all the time. One time while in a thrift store a few years ago I heard some modern sounding stuff that sounded a little psychedelic. I turned on shazam and it said it was Tame Impala. So yeah, shazam can definitely come in handy sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    ^Wow. I'm actually a little surprised you didn't recognize the Can track. I'm not really an expert on them either though. Do you know which song it was by them?

I use shazam all the time. One time while in a thrift store a few years ago I heard some modern sounding stuff that sounded a little psychedelic. I turned on shazam and it said it was Tame Impala. So yeah, shazam can definitely come in handy sometimes.
    To be honest, I am not very familiar with Can. I do not own any of their albums although I have certainly heard of them over the years. I do not know what song it was.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    To be honest, I am not very familiar with Can. I do not own any of their albums although I have certainly heard of them over the years. I do not know what song it was.
    Oh ok. I currently only own three and two of them aren't even that recommended by them. They are: rite time, saw deliglht and ege bamyasi. I still have soon over babaluma on vinyl in my mom's attic if I'm not mistaken ( so I guess technically that's four). I don't believe I've ever heard them in public though (not counting "yoo doo right" on a college radio station).