Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Prog in unlikely places

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I started working with a personal trainer a couple of weeks ago, and today I found out he plays piano and is a big prog fan! He's a bit older than me (early 60s probably), yet he's actually gone to Opeth shows, and seen Genesis with Gabriel, King Crimson in Central Park (!), and lots of other cool stuff.

So there's lots to talk about - too much really, as it was sort of interfering with working out, but I didn't mind. It was nice to talk to someone in the meat world about prog, and especially nice to talk about something other than Will Smith, which I have zero interest in, yet everyone seems to think it needs to be spoken about! The guy even likes Clutching at Straws and Sugar Mice, and knows Marillion has had a "new" singer for ages. I might have to try and grab a beer with him one day.

^ Ok, now he won’t stop talking about Prog! It’s a bit much! But it’s still very surprising the stuff he knows. He knows and likes IQ’s The Road of Bones! Saw Traffic and ELP in the 70s. I should get him on PE.

I once had a windowcleaner, who was into prog and new the magazine I wrote for at that time. He loved Porcupine Tree.

This week I was in a bookstore and saw a book with 1,001 albums one should have heard and I found 2 Genesis albums and 2 ELP albums:
    Selling England by the Pound
    The lamb lies down on Broadway
    Tarkus
    Pictures at an exhibition

I found also Hot rats and Dark side of the moon.

Heard "Fly By Night" at my local Five Guys last weekend. I think they pipe in satellite radio - they usually have decent, 'deep cut' tunes playing
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Today I saw a BMW with a license plate that read "ZEUHL".

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    Heard "Fly By Night" at my local Five Guys last weekend. I think they pipe in satellite radio - they usually have decent, 'deep cut' tunes playing
    I've heard In Thee by Blue Oyster Cult and Blowin' Free at the Five Guys near me, but that was years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post

That’s great
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

^It's probably Zora Euhlenski who runs the Mahjong club!

I see there's a "legendary" rapper (according to Bandcamp, an Epic Company) named El-P. Is that supposed to be like ELP? Maybe LP.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I see there's a "legendary" rapper (according to Bandcamp, an Epic Company) named El-P. Is that supposed to be like ELP? Maybe LP.
    Not to be confused with El Pea.

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    One of my neighbours has "RUSH RLZ".

I always just read it as "LP". And he's not really known as a rapper (I don't think he raps at all) but rather a DJ/producer. Run the Jewels (with rapper Killer Mike) is his best known project.

Last night in his monologue, Seth Meyers referenced Genesis being better with Peter Gabriel.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I started working with a personal trainer a couple of weeks ago, and today I found out he plays piano and is a big prog fan! He's a bit older than me (early 60s probably), yet he's actually gone to Opeth shows, and seen Genesis with Gabriel, King Crimson in Central Park (!), and lots of other cool stuff.

So there's lots to talk about - too much really, as it was sort of interfering with working out, but I didn't mind. It was nice to talk to someone in the meat world about prog, and especially nice to talk about something other than Will Smith, which I have zero interest in, yet everyone seems to think it needs to be spoken about! The guy even likes Clutching at Straws and Sugar Mice, and knows Marillion has had a "new" singer for ages. I might have to try and grab a beer with him one day.
    I suppose it would have to be a light beer right? Anyway, that's cool. I rarely meet people who know much about prog. It has happened but it's rare. Heck, I'm even happy when some random person(or someone I know not through prog circles at least) has heard of King Crimson!
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Last night in his monologue, Seth Meyers referenced Genesis being better with Peter Gabriel.
    What segment of the show?

Lizzo loves her some The Mars Volta.

I'm in Bergen this weekend to visit my cancer-ridden father. Arrived this early morning at half past seven and was told that my room wouldn't be ready until 2 p.m. And it's raining and nothing's open before ultimo 9 a.m. I didn't sleep a second of those seven hours on the train from Oslo.

So what to do but hang around the lounge of the damn place (a bit early for drinks at 07, I suppose) and log on their web facilities to get some work done? Smooth, femi-folky soft mixtapes (or what they're called nowadays) running from the speakers in the background - and then: Bent Knee!

Not kidding! That was loada fun. They've played other great things too along the way/wait; Broadcast, Judee Sill, P.J. Harvey, Susanna W., Susanne S., Joan Armatrading (sheet, was she ever good back then!), Tori Amos, Anne Briggs, Jenny Hval, Patti Labelle. Some other stuff as well that I don't particularly care for myself, like Cranberries, Sheryl Crow and Desireless. But they haven't spun anything by Celine Dion, and that's often a fairly good sign of sorts.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

This week I was reading an article on several contestants of the Eurovision Songcontest and suddenly I read King Crimson, not 2 things I would expect in combination.

I bought a small book on Bob Dylan by German singer/songwriter Wolfgang Niedecken, which is part of a series where people write about their favorite artists. The books come with Spotify playlists and one of the artists covered in this series is Genesis. And if one might think it will be latter day Genesis, look at the playlist. https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0i...a93294432&nd=1
    It's all Peter Gabriel era.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I'm in Bergen this weekend to visit my cancer-ridden father. Arrived this early morning at half past seven and was told that my room wouldn't be ready until 2 p.m. And it's raining and nothing's open before ultimo 9 a.m. I didn't sleep a second of those seven hours on the train from Oslo.

So what to do but hang around the lounge of the damn place (a bit early for drinks at 07, I suppose) and log on their web facilities to get some work done? Smooth, femi-folky soft mixtapes (or what they're called nowadays) running from the speakers in the background - and then: Bent Knee!

Not kidding! That was loada fun. They've played other great things too along the way/wait; Broadcast, Judee Sill, P.J. Harvey, Susanna W., Susanne S., Joan Armatrading (sheet, was she ever good back then!), Tori Amos, Anne Briggs, Jenny Hval, Patti Labelle. Some other stuff as well that I don't particularly care for myself, like Cranberries, Sheryl Crow and Desireless. But they haven't spun anything by Celine Dion, and that's often a fairly good sign of sorts.
    Sorry to hear about your father's health problems!

This happened to us when we arrived in Amsterdam once. Kind of a fun, sleep-deprived twilight state for exploring the city though, and good atmosphere, except for the rain. Crazy about Bent Knee! You should post something on their Facebook group, if you do the Facebook,

Sorry to hear about your father.

Isn't it always raining in Bergen? I think it's famous for it.

What segment of the show?
    It was before the first commercial break, during the monologue/closer look segment. I'd post a clip, but that would violate this site's no politics rule.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Sorry to hear about your father.

Isn't it always raining in Bergen?
    Indeed to the rain. As for my dad, he was never a nice or good person - but he's still my damn dad.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

It was before the first commercial break, during the monologue/closer look segment. I'd post a clip, but that would violate this site's no politics rule.
    Not if you send it in a pm. It's probably easy enough to find on youtube though. I'm watching now to see if I come across it (not sure I have the right show though).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

As for my dad, he was never a nice or good person - but he's still my damn dad.
    Sorry to hear that Richard. My sympathy. My Dad was a prick, to some degree, the first 10 years of my life. He grew into the finest man I ever met over the next 48 years.

Digital_Man PM'd the clip to me. Very funny! Mentions like that always surprise me; someone like Gabriel seems so off the radar of all mainstream media, until he's mentioned as though he's a household name on a show like this.

Digital_Man PM'd the clip to me. Very funny! Mentions like that always surprise me; someone like Gabriel seems so off the radar of all mainstream media, until he's mentioned as though he's a household name on a show like this.
    NP. Well, he was pretty mainstream in the 80s. You couldn't have been growing up then and not know about Peter Gabriel. I'm not sure how known he is among most people these days but he's probably more known to more people than Yes.