Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Prog in unlikely places

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I am not such a fan of Fincher clinical.style (still those first 3 movies of his were excellent).
    I really like Se7en, Dragon Tattoo and especially Zodiac, but Benjamin Button and the rest of them are not my case at all.

As for Mindhunter, I could watch that series for Anna Torv alone. The most gorgeous and simultaneously charismatic woman on TV nowadays, and that voice...
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

One of these days, I need to chronicle all of the bootleg uses of prog tracks in the soundtracks of Chinese and Turkish movies. Master of Flying Guillotine is the most [in]famous example, with all the NEU! and Tangerine Dream stuff (Quentin Tarantino even stole—sorry “paid homage to”—this in one of his films). I was extremely surprised when I finally saw the infamous Category III trash-terpiece Lewd Lizard and found both Mahavishnu Orchestra’s “Vision Is a Naked Sword” and ELP’s “The Endless Enigma, Part I” on the soundtrack. The latter turned up again in Şeytan (PG-rated Turkish rip-off of The Exorcist with an Islamic theme).

Wish I could remember the name of the chop-socky flick which used the Einstein in Eden album on it’s soundtrack—how did something so obscure even find its way to Hong Kong?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

This past Wed night, I was watching the Penguins play the Colorado Avalanche. During one break in the action, the PA at the Pgh arena started playing Yes, "Roundabout".

This evening we were celbrating my dad's 91 birthday in a local restaurant and at some point I heard Sabbath bloody Sabbath by Black Sabbath.

3 seconds of KC

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Wish I could remember the name of the chop-socky flick which used the Einstein in Eden album on it’s soundtrack—how did something so obscure even find its way to Hong Kong?
    I remembered, it was Dragon Against Vampire from 1985. Tangerine Dream (stuff from Rubycon and Force Majeure) also turns up on the soundtrack.

I'm currently watching a PBS documentary on Mario Lanza and they just had a clip of Steve Hackett talking about him.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Forgot about the gay bar that played Starcastle.

Dunno how unlikely this is, but still

Michael Moore Presents: Planet of the Humans | Full Documentary | Directed by Jeff Gibbs
    (whole movie)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk11...ature=youtu.be

Music by: Radiohead, King Crimson, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Blank & Jones, If These Trees Could Talk, Valentina Lisitsa, Culprit 1, Patrick O’hearn, The Torquays, Nigel Stanford, and many more.

My wife, Rhea, attended a community theater performance of Jesus Christ Superstar in the mid to late '90s. An instrumental version of Yes' "Machine Messiah" was performed during the Crucifixion scene!

Banned
    I’m watching the TV series Fortitude and in season 2 Episode 6, possibly the most loathsome, disgusting character in the show is (unfortunately) seen listening and grooving to Roundabout on his car radio. He clearly knows it well. I wonder about the decision to show this utter scumbag seeming to be a Yes fan. Sort of rubbed me the wrong way.

Anyway, if and only if you’re up for a disturbing, harrowing roller coaster ride of drama and horror I recommend Fortitude.

A week or 2 ago, they were playing prog in the nearest Fry's grocery store, the Arizona iteration of Kroger.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I just was playing the game PLOK on my Super Nintendo. And in the current level, this here is the tune:

sounds a lot proggy to me

There are more songs on the PLOK OST that are like this. Very good stuff.

I put together a satirical sports montage once for my radio station using parts of [redacted to avoid legal issues because I've trampled all over copyrights for 20 years]. I was told after it aired once, "What kind of music was that?", as if it was something off-the-wall eclectic - it wasn't. It was something that a lot of critics on PE would consider retro or neo or pablum or whatever. However, it was too "weird" for the host of the show. From then on, I just stuck with pop hits and standards between 1940 and 70.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Has anyone else seen the Chevy commercial that uses “Engel der Gegenwart” by Popol Vuh on its soundtrack?

I mentioned this on another thread, but in the last episode of the series, "Killing Eve", during the very last scene, "Spiritual" by Magma is playing.

And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

I mentioned this on another thread, but in the last aired episode of the series, "Killing Eve", during the very last scene, "Spiritual" by Magma is playing.

And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Roger Dean never looked so good!

BTW, I saw the original painting for sale in a San Francisco music related art store. I forgot how much it was, but it wasn't cheap (duh)!
    I also visited a gallery that had a bunch of his originals in it, I think CTTE was going for 800k!?!?

Duckman: Zappa
    BBC version of Life on Mars: TONS of 70s prog in the soundtrack! It opens with Life on Mars paying on an iPod and, I won't tell you how, but the next scene its playing on an 8 track. Brilliant show.

I heard some KC on a Dunkin Donuts commercial

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    BBC version of Life on Mars: TONS of 70s prog in the soundtrack! It opens with Life on Mars paying on an iPod and, I won't tell you how, but the next scene its playing on an 8 track. Brilliant show.
    It's been a long since I saw that show, but as I recall, in one scene, they used the instrumental intro Uriah Heep's Gypsy during a foot chase.

Three weeks or so ago, at the foot of the road where I live, just by the football stadium (it's lower league football, so "stadium" is a bit grandiose), every time I was walking home from town, I'd hear ELP playing from an open window - the first couple of times it was Trilogy, then the next time, it was Tarkus, then BSS...then, it was the new lockdown & the weather got really cold...so I wasn't walking past, & the window wasn't open.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    It's been a long since I saw that show, but as I recall, in one scene, they used the instrumental intro Uriah Heep's Gypsy during a foot chase.
    Just a sample:

SERIES 1

Episode 1
    Life On Mars by David Bowie
    Stairway To The Stars by Blue Oyster Cult
    I'm So Free by Lou Reed
    Baba O'Riley by The Who
    Rat Rat Blue by Deep Purple
    Fireball by Deep Purple
    White Room by Cream
    Easy Livin' by Uriah Heep
    Look at Yourself by Uriah Heep

Episode 2
    Live And Let Die by Wings
    No One Came by Deep Purple
    Drum Song by Willie Lindo & The Charmers Band
    Saga Of The Aging Orphan by Thin Lizzy
    Lazy by Deep Purple
    One Of These Days by Pink Floyd
    Dream Land by The Upsetters

Episode 3
    Ballroom Blitz by The Sweet
    Gypsy by Uriah Heep
    Wishing Well by Free
    Head In The Sky by Atomic Rooster

Episode 4
    Brainstorm by Hawkwind
    Jean Genie by David Bowie
    Cross Eyed Mary by Jethro Tull
    Silver Machine by Hawkwind
    Gudbuy T'Jane by Slade
    Wild Horse by The Rolling Stones
    Blockbuster by The Sweet

The other day in a Fry's Grocery Store once again, they were playing Karn Evil 9, 3rd impression over the store intercom system.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Jethro Tull song while watching Fargo.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)