Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Prog in unlikely places

^^ It was prog by early 80s standards.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Not a very proggy track, but I heard Procol Harum's "Whiskey Train" at Trader Joe's this week.
    They do say that excess is a measure of proginess, but I draw the line at cowbell.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ It was prog by early 80s standards.
    Not so sure about that...

1983 saw the release of: Art Zoyd - Les Espaces Inqueits, Eskaton - Fiction, Cartoon - Music From Left Field, IQ - Tales From the Lush Attic, Von Zamla - 1983, Von Zamla - No Makeup!, Bacamarte - Sepois Do Fim...

If one ventures into the avant-prog realm, the 80's were pretty productive.
    Last edited by simon moon; 05-10-2021 at 06:58 PM.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

^^^^^

This!!!

The early/ mid 80s were a high point of RIO and related progressive rock.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    1983 saw the release of: Art Zoyd - Les Espaces Inqueits, Eskaton - Fiction, Cartoon - Music From Left Field, IQ - Tales From the Lush Attic, Von Zamla - 1983, Von Zamla - No Makeup!, Bacamarte - Sepois Do Fim...

If one ventures into the avant-prog realm, the 80's were pretty productive.
    I made my first Wayside order in early 1983. I got Art Zoyd: Génération Sans Futur, Etron Fou Leloublan: Les Poumons Gonflés, Fred Frith/Bob Ostertag/Phil Minton: Voice of America, Mnemonists: Biota, and a Rolling Stones bootleg.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

In the past I've heard parts of both "firth of fifth" and "heart of the sunrise" as interlude music on NPR.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    In the past I've heard parts of both "firth of fifth" and "heart of the sunrise" as interlude music on NPR.
    Last year they used the intro to Camel's "Down On The Farm" in a story about farming. I wonder how many people other than me noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Last year they used the intro to Camel's "Down On The Farm" in a story about farming. I wonder how many people other than me noticed.
    I would have. I like that song. I missed that though.

It doesn't surprise me. NPR tends to be more intellectual than other US news outlets. One benefit of being listener supported, not a corporate entity.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

On the Chicago NPR station, I guess someone who works on the 2 PM show is a Weather Report fan as I've heard their stuff a couple times.

NPRs music outros if that’s what you can call them usually have something to do with the subject that they are discussing. I remember a segment on unexpected medical bills when they played part of genesis entangled.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    NPRs music outros if that’s what you can call them usually have something to do with the subject that they are discussing. I remember a segment on unexpected medical bills when they played part of genesis entangled.
    Sounds like how on the talk shows, where the band would sometimes play a song that somehow related to the guest as they walked out. I remember one time when Susan Sarandon was on The Tonight Show, the band played Time Warp, and as she sat down, she looked over at the band and "put her hands on her hips, and pulled her knees in tight" (or something like that, I'm probably remembering the moves wrong, but it was clear she recognized the song and acknowledged it).

Paul Shaffer was fond of doing that kind of stuff. One time, Letterman had a guy named Pharaoh something, I think he was a comedian, so Paul and the band played The Creator Has A Master Plan by Pharoah Sanders. Another time it was someone whose first name was Patrice, so they played Patrice Rushen's Forget-Me-Not, which it took the guest a second to realize why they played THAT song. I also remember one where Paul and the band played Tin Soldier by The Small Faces, but I forget what the reasoning was, though I'm sure that was another allusion to the guest or their new movie or whatever. And so on.

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    Von Zamla - 1983
    This was an archival release, it was not released in 1983.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    This was an archival release, it was not released in 1983.
    This is true but the studio album NO MAKE UP was released in 1983.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Went to my local Agway yesterday (pet supplies, agriculture supplies, livestock feed, farm supplies) and was surprised to hear 'Pigs (Three Different Ones)' from Pink Floyd.
    But then again, it was Agway ...
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Not music itself, but music related -- was at a brewery in the central valley a few weeks ago watching my friend play some surf rock with his new project, and a person in their early 20s wearing a Yes tshirt was talking to my friend after and bought a record from him even.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

^ I remember reading in a Rock Magazine back in the very late 70s, the writer asked Chester Thompson about the next (at that time) Genesis album. Finally, after confirming that they were working on one, he asked Chester if he knew what it would be called. Chester told him, "Surf's Up!"

Just heard “IQ Road Of Bones” as incidental background. Funny how 8 notes can jog your memory!

Show- Modus Season 1 episode 1 21:45 minutes.

Amazon Prime - Masterpiece App. Walter Presents.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Eating at Mod Pizza, and Fearless by Pink Floyd came on out of the blue.

^ Wasn't that solo Gilmour?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Wasn't that solo Gilmour?
    Roxy Music.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Fearless? That was Fish from Marillion. Sorry to be a know-it-all, but you guys are wrong as always.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Listening to In The Beginning...ELP, in some random pub.

And now Dust In The Wind, in the same pub....lol. truth

Okay, maybe a bit of a stretch, I'm watching an episode of The X-files and a high school kid is wearing a Syd Barrett T-shirt. Maybe psych instead of prog, but still.

EDIT: Apparently the kid is a main character of the story and is now listening to Syd.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"