Prog in unlikely places

The Peanuts from Mothra

sing this:

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I was working out in the gym last week (which is unlikely enough in itself) and amongst all the usual Corporate Country, Autotune Pop and Classic Rawk they cycle through I was stunned to hear Hurry On Sundown off Hawkwinds debut album. Was that some sort of weird hit over here?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I rike King Klimson.

yeselpkrimson

This old classic with Magma in it:

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

^

Wow - never seen/heard of that before. Great!

The best thing about The Peanuts and their involvement with the kaiju industry is this line in Ghidorah, The Three Headed Monster: "Godzilla! Such language!". OK, so it's not actually them saying it, but assuming the original dialog was just as over the top ridiculous as the English dubbed version, one has to assume The Peanuts said something similar in the original Japanese dialog.

And that Magma has to be one of the strangest things I've ever seen. I first saw it back in the late 90's, and I still can't figure out what's supposed to be going on. Magma are performing, one priest is really taken by them, the other isn't and storms out. What the frell kinda movie is this, where you got priests auditioning Magma?!

I still think the presence of what appears to be the cover of Gong's You album on Thaddeus Venture's college dorm room wall was kinda weird.

And if we can go over to the "free jazz" area of things, there's the early 70's French sex romp Bacchanelles Sexuelles, which has a scene were two women have lesbian sex while listening to an Art Ensemble Of Chicago record. The one girl even goes to great lengths to make sure the record cover is seen by the camera so that all viewers will know what they're listening to. If memory serves, one of them even flips the record over half way through.

And since I've brought up free jazz, man...Space Is The Place, that whole damn movie, the world's only free jazz concert film/blaxploitation/sci-fi B movie. The only things missing are Pam Grier, Dick Miller and Roger Corman! I mean, the idea that any kind of picture, other than documentary or straight concert film, would be built around Sun Ra's music and philosophy is mind boggling!

Hee. That Magma clip is from 1972!

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    This old classic with Magma in it:

This is a classic counter-culture French flick, by Jean Yanne... the second of his most insidious and famous trilogy... and sadly the least availableof the three

Jean Yanne is the guy in white coat

The four clergymen are (from left) Roland Giraud (standing), Michel Sérault (leaving to talk), JF Balmer... and I think an incredibly young JP Bacri
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

This is unlikely in two ways: Nektar is on the Jeffersons AND the radio.
    Last edited by ronmac; 05-06-2014 at 03:19 PM.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Cool- and it is well known that Sherman Hensley was a prog lover. No joke. http://dangerousminds.net/comments/w...msley_met_gong

Watching the Minnesota-Chicago hockey game now. During a stoppage they had ELP's "Hoedown" blasting through the p.a. in Minny. Cool.
    Citi Field, home of the NY Mets typically plays "Karn Evil IX" prior to the game during warm-ups.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

My wife and I went out to dinner a few weeks ago to a nice local restaurant / bar.

They had a guy playing a keyboard for the guests entertainment. As I listened, I thought he was treading on the line between just any music and prog.

He played Come Sail Away by Styx, Tuesday Afternoon and Nights in White Satin from the Moodies

Then he crossed the line by playing a medley of Yes songs followed by Take a Pebble from ELP.

On our way out I had to stop and thanked him.

Years ago I was watching a cheesy shark attack movie on TV, and they used the drum part from Yes-Ritual during one of the attack scenes. I have no idea what the name of the movie is.

Last year, we vacationed in Myrtle Beach, North Carolina. One of the highlights was during our final night, at the best local Italian restaurant. The accordion player was playing "Comfortably Numb" and then followed it with "Shine on You Crazy Diamond." Later, he entertained us with everything from The Beatles to Ozzy Osbourne. I could even envision my Italian mother enjoying it and not even realizing that it was "druggy music."
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Uranus

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

This is unlikely in two ways: Nektar is on the Jeffersons AND the radio.
    And I was told you can't dance the prog.......
    Of course, not being of the daily persuasion in this opinion laden public prog bathhouse, my diatribe of recent lucubration is perhaps as welcome as a rats teat. One often is forced to weigh the desire to flash judgment within against the effort required as well as the value this knowledge will be to the greater good of all mankind or whatever inhabits the current spa. At best, its a slippery slope.

In the original broadcast of the original radio play version of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, where Marvin The Paranoid Android "hums just like Pink Floyd". Apparently, a few bars of Shine On You Crazy Diamond was used, but had to be removed from rebroadcasts for legal reasons.

Ironically, about 18 years later, it would be Douglas Adams who advised David Gilmour to title the final Pink Floyd album The Division Bell.

Quote Originally Posted by Classic Progressive View Post
    And I was told you can't dance the prog.......
    "Put on your red clogs and dance the progs..."

There was a gardening series on BBC television a few years back which used prog tunes as background music.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    There was a gardening series on BBC television a few years back which used prog tunes as background music.
    Was that the one that had a team of professional landscapers who came in and did small private back gardens over a weekend as a surprise for the owner? As I seem to remember them working away to some unlikely toons.

Speaking of BBC shows, there's been copious allusions and musical examples of (ahem) "prog" on Top Gear. Yes, I know, Clarkson is a fan, having written the liner notes to one of the Genesis reissues from one of the boxsets. Notably, Clarkson likes to torture Hamster by playing I Know What I Like at maximum volume on their road trips. And for one series, every time The Stig did a power lap, he listened to one progressive rock band or another, which on various occasions included Yes, Genesis (with Hamster remarking that Jeremy should stop loaning his CD's to The Stig), Caravan, Greenslade, and VDGG (with Clarkson remarking he was never really into VDGG). Another time, Clarkson was seen wearing a late model Yes tour t-shirt (from 2004, I think), and he also once mentioned both Camel and Gong in the same sentence.

Apart from that, they've used at least two Hawkwind tracks, Silver Machine and The Forge Of Vulcan, as background music.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I always mention this in these threads, but in 1986 news woman Connie Chung had a network newsmagazine show called "1986," and the theme music was Rush's "Mystic Rhythm," though I never saw them credited.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Was that the one that had a team of professional landscapers who came in and did small private back gardens over a weekend as a surprise for the owner? As I seem to remember them working away to some unlikely toons.
    Possibly, my wife was watching it and I was reading or web surfing and suddenly heard some Genesis and started paying attention! Well, a bit.