Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Prog in unlikely places

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    She was pretty good, but why was it so short? Also, was one of the judges Boy George, and why was her makeup so similar to his, with those white lines?
    Those audition shows don't give the artists more time. Yes this is Boy George, and the makeup is similar 'cause she was in his team (it was already the third round or so).

Watch this one if you want it somewhat longer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18ViAP9rf_Y

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    Geez that Giacomo Voli performance...
    Giacomo was one of the lead vocalists of Banco del Mutuo Soccorso (alongside John de Leo) in 2015,
    before Vittorio collapsed. The second part of the song it's Franco Battiato of course.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    Geez that Giacomo Voli performance...
    Most of it is his top-drawer talent, but part of it is the language - Italian is really easy to sing with simultaneously a huge tone and complete intelligibility.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    heard Aphrodite's Child "The Four Horsemen" in a Trader Joe's a few months ago...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Heard "And You And I" in Kroger yesterday and "Watcher Of The Skies" at McDonald's a few months back.
    The Prog Corner

Well, it’s not exactly “prog,” but I did hear Journey’s “On a Saturday Nite” at the thrift store today. When’s the last time you heard any pre-Steve Perry Journey in a public place?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    We were at a local Eagles bar dancing to a band we're on friendly terms with. They play standard pub fare, lite rock from the 60s on up. Usually, during their breaks they play a compilation of whatever. Sometimes parts of albums. Last night the drummer was hanging around his kit and I about fell out when I heard Chris Squier coming from the speakers. I walked over and shouted "Fish Out Of Water? Are you freaking kidding me!" He was just as shocked that someone knew it. We talked right through the break and sometime after they finished, talking Yes and prog. He said he never ever runs into anyone who knows anything or likes prog.

Another bizarre thrift-store hearing: “Love to Love You” by Caravan. I have never heard this song before when it wasn’t me playing it. You could have knocked me over with a feather!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Truth: I'm in a sports bar watching college football, ......in Florida, and I'm hearing Long Distance/Fish Shindaleria at this very moment.

I was watching a movie called PRIVATE LIFE on NETFLIX. About a couple looking to have a child by IF. The woman is on the bed being examined, her legs are spread apart and the doctor said to her "Do you like Prog Rock?" I kid you not...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    I was watching a movie called PRIVATE LIFE on NETFLIX. About a couple looking to have a child by IF. The woman is on the bed being examined, her legs are spread apart and the doctor said to her "Do you like Prog Rock?" I kid you not...
    That’s really a sad commentary.....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I think he's looking for it in the wrong places.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I think he's looking for it in the wrong places.
    He's just opting for the "box set".
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    He's just opting for the "box set".
    Well played sir, well played.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

very recent Mexican movie Nuestro Tiempo (director Reygadas) here you get a Carpet Crawlers (Genesis) halfway through and Crimson's Islands as a closer.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    heard Aphrodite's Child "The Four Horsemen" in a Trader Joe's a few months ago...
    I heard the Nice's "Diamond Hard Blue Apples of the Moon" at my local TJ's recently.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I've heard "In every dream home, a heart ache" by Roxy Music on 3 different tv shows or movies lately. wtf. Just being discovered...

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    I've heard "In every dream home, a heart ache" by Roxy Music on 3 different tv shows or movies lately. wtf. Just being discovered...
    Yeah, it was being used in a TV commercial a couple months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    One of them should be Mindhunter, no?

^ Which was indeed a most fitting application of it, as Ferry takes the personae of sex-psycho to his role in that song. As far as the Roxys being used in film and television, their hipness factor was always welcome either way and it'll probably continue to be.

I wish they'd find use for "The Bogus Man" or "If There Is Something" or "Grey Lagoons", though - but I suppose that's the bit about the vintage Roxy which they aren't fully able to swallow; the somewhat cartoonish wit.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    One of them should be Mindhunter, no?
    yes.
    But there is another show we just saw which had it as well!

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

This is unlikely in two ways: Nektar is on the Jeffersons AND the radio.

Many years ago, I used to work at Moby Disc records in LA. They were known for being the main purveyors of prog in LA, especially imported prog.

Almost every friday night, Sherman Hemsley would pull up, in a limo with his entourage, and come in to buy stacks of prog. He was always intoxicated. We had a pretty good relationship, and I used to recommend stuff for him to buy. He loved hearing new bands.

I wonder what the hell happened to his vast record collection when he died. He surely had tons of rare prog, Italian and otherwise.

Every single one of those rare, one off Italian releases, Like De De Lind, for example, he had in his collection. Those things are worth a couple grand each!
    Last edited by simon moon; 10-16-2019 at 11:57 AM.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Awesome ! I remember in the 70s reading an article in TV Guide, where they interviewed him about The Jeffersons show. Then they asked about his other passtimes....and he brings up music collecting. IIRC, he mentioned digging bands like Yes, and ELP, but then threw out groovy band he was digging called The Trip. (Italian prog). That's what made me wanna check out the Trip! lol TV Guide, baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Which was indeed a most fitting application of it, as Ferry takes the personae of sex-psycho to his role in that song. As far as the Roxys being used in film and television, their hipness factor was always welcome either way and it'll probably continue to be.

I wish they'd find use for "The Bogus Man" or "If There Is Something" or "Grey Lagoons", though - but I suppose that's the bit about the vintage Roxy which they aren't fully able to swallow; the somewhat cartoonish wit.
    A great finale to a good series, although I am not such a fan of Fincher clinical.style (still those first 3 movies of his were excellent).

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

If There Is Something was used in a movie called Flashbacks Of A Fool, where teenagers are shown dancing and lip syncing to it, in slow motion (they did the "run the tape and camera at 3 times normal speed, so that when everything is brought back to normal speed, they lip sync matches up, but everything is moving in slow motion).